Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the next general election be?

Options
  • 08-06-2024 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭

With the results today pointing towards a better than expected result for Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, the Greens not doing as poorly as originally expected and with Sinn Féin disappointing, just wondering what people think about date of next general election.

It has to be by March 2025. It has been widely suggested it will be in November after budget. But if the results look good why wait? Sinn fein seem a bit of a mess now as to candidate selection (do they have too many?) and there does seem to be a slight bounce for fine gael since Harris took over.

The logic of waiting until March is that you were elected for 5 years and you should serve the full term. It also gives Harris more time to bed into the taoiseach office and the weather should be improving. The negative is that any benefits from budget might be forgotten. And if you go all the way to the end you don't have any room to manoeuvre should something unexpected crop up. You also give the likes of sinn fein and the new independent groupings more time to prepare. You will also need to have by-elections to replace TDs elected as MEPs which could be used to give the government a smack which could cause a downward trend.

The logic of waiting until November is that you get the benefit of the presumed budget giveaway which should be fresh in people's minds. You will also avoid the need for by-elections to replace TDs elected as MEPs. But the negatives are that the weather will be grim and it may still be enough time for the opposition parties to get ducks in a row on the back of yesterday's election.

The logic of going for a snap election is that you are taking advantage of perceived strength of government parties and weakness of opposition. You may also catch them on the hop making it even more pronounced. And the weather should be quite good. The negatives are that it could be perceived as being opportunistic and the government could be punished. Plus they won't get the benefit of a budget later this year. And there's also the issue of Harris being such a recent taoiseach. He's already guaranteed to go into election as they shortest ever serving taoiseach and he might want to serve as long as possible in case he loses.

My view is that they'll probably wait until November, but if I was making the call I'd go with a vote in July or August.

When will the next general election be? 94 votes

Snap election: sometime before the budget
    10% 10 votes
    Late 2024: after the budget
    74% 70 votes
    Go as long as possible: early 2025
    14% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Has to be hugely tempting to go shortly,the fragmentation of the opposition has played out nicely for the present crew plus with Simon having had a good start it looks like he will be an electoral asset unlike Leo .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

100% it will be this year.

Whatever about Oct/Nov weather, an election campaign in February is utter misery and everyone is fed up after a long winter. Plus the hospitals are always in dire shape and FFG don't want reminders of that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rumours of 15th November being the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Heard Ivan Yates say November on Newstalk earlier on.

He's usually not too far off the mark with his predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I hate all this strategic nonsense when it comes to general elections. It's not the world cup final and the manager is deciding which subs to make at the hour mark to win the game. This is politicians deciding when they have a better chance of winning rather than the best interests of the place. "Sur lets give pensioners 20 quid instead of a tenner Mick that'll get us some votes". If an election has to be held by March the rule should be they have the election between the 1st and 31st of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think October / November this year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So really exactly like the world Cup where suitably timed move might win the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm actually grand😊 it's just annoying these guessing games about something so important. I probably went a bit overboard with oul post😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

If it were up to me, if SF were to do poorly in the locals in particular, I'd got for a snap election. From what little I've seen FG and FF have done ok, they will have options as to who might make a tolerable bed fellow. Leaving it to the Autumn may open the door for one of those "little things" that can happen in politics to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

My guess would be Friday 1st November. Have the budget late September/ early October then a few days later SH calls General Election. October campaigning won't be too bad weather wise. The week of the election would begin with a Bank Holiday Monday and day before voting would be Halloween so hopefully people would be in good mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

FFG - RTE troika party rule for the next twenty years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's a gamble.

If Harris goes early and wins, it'll be master stroke and he can settle in for a full term as Taoiseach.

But if he loses, then he'd be one of the shortest serving Taoisigh ever I'd imagine. A dubious honour.

FG still need to get new candidates in place with all the retirements.

I don't think the relatively good showing by FFG in the local and European elections is necessarily a ringing endorsement of the current government in Dail Eireann, they're still vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Has Harris not already answered this question 10-20 times in interviews already? what exactly has changed?

I said it a long time, time is SF enemy, the more time they are allowed between elections the more they will lose support, they are an incompetent shambles and I expect them to start a big infight anytime soon which will help the government.

MLMD going onto TV to call everyone idiots for mixing up SF with the government

Then doing an interview to say they need to look at their policies? they have had 5 years to look at their policies. What exactly are they going to change now? a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

It won't be the summer, October/November most likely, the date of the budget will be key, if it's moved forward then an election will follow quickly, if not they may wait full term.

There's alot of hyperbole in the media on the back of the elections and huge schadenfreude against SF, some of which they deserve but it's 'centrist' media championing the centrist parties.

The GE will be different, higher turn out for a start, SF will do better than the last few days but predictions of 70 seats are now probably wide of the mark. I'm also not convinced Labour/Soc Dems will make many gains, again the media coverage of them has been overly positive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Giveaway budget followed by Nov elections imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

The only issue with a GE following the budget is that the Finance and welfare bills need to be passed to enact budget changes. Will the government hold off until this is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

Talking to a man earlier he made a good point regarding turnout and SF. Earlier I said if Govt went well and SF faired poorly then Govt (for their own ends not because I wish them well) should call an early election. But he reckoned that SF need a turnout of 65% to get their full vote out 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭beachhead

While Simon bring in as many budget benefits before that date? All we can depend iis taxes up at midnight on budget day for the likes of cigs,fuel,carbon tax and alcohol must due a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

Seems to be some suggestions that by-elections could be earlier than expected, possibly September which would imply a 2025 election, though I still think Autumn is the best bet.

The by-elections in Carlow/Kilkenny which SF will hold, Clare assuming McNamara stays in Europe - no idea how this will go and hard to see Labour holding AOR's seat, FF will hold Cowen's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yates is a spoofer. Last week on Newstalk (his sugar daddy's old station) he predicted the total collapse of the FG vote in the local elections and an extra 70 seats for SF. That said I do think he's right on this though, give away budget in October targeting the people who get up for work early in the morning and an election soon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Time may also be SF's friend. If the general election was tomorrow they would be in trouble but given time they can improve while anything could happen for the government parties including things outside their control, think Covid, Russia invading Ukraine. You never know their could be a change of leadership for SF. Look what it did for FG.

If the party strategists are not looking at every scenario for the election timing then they are a shambles. I also would not expect Simon Harris to be providing insight into those strategy discussions when asked about the election date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Honestly a change in leadership for SF would be who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Whoever might be appointed - P. O'Neill for example.

I'm not saying it is likely but who thought on St. Patrick's day FG would have a new leader.

You seem to think there is nobody who could take on the job and be seen as an improvement. Simon Harris is a good example of someone getting leadership and performing better than many would have expected.

Would Harris really want to have to go through 4 or maybe 5 by elections only to have to call a GE 3 or 4 months later?

Odds are the 3 parties have already decided on a date but instead of being honest with the people who voted them in they will continue to lie to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

How many by elections are due after the European elections? How will that affect the thinking.

We are in very strange times, I don't think anyone could predict what will happen in the GE, myself included.

It is however, difficult to see a Government with out FF/Fg….I just don't see it. The only hope for people like me is a good showing by an Independent Ireland (or whatever they are called) who might put the brakes on a lot of the silly culture policies and might just refocus the Govt on real issues affecting most of us.

It's looking we are outliers in Europe at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What are the "silly culture policies" you refer to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement