Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Poyndexter

The Hyde it is. My source came good. Mayo have a good record in Hyde Park and this will be their 3rd championship match there this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭bren2001

Because a game of that size needs a large capacity venue

A game where the winner goes through and the loser also goes through?

No reason for this to be in Croker. It wouldn't be close to a sellout. Games should be put in stadia suitable for the expected attendance. Otherwise its devoid of atmosphere.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Well Hyde Park it is so here is to hopefully a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hyde Park is 18900 apparently.

As a matter of interest I looked up Wexford Park (because I knew that was revamped and was wondering what the new capacity is)- that is similar to Hyde Park it is 18000.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭MFPM

All the talk all week of Dublin putting it up to Kilkenny, 13 points down and not even half time. Same old story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Getting a hiding from the cats. Disappointing to be honest, nothing going to hand for our lads at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Absolutely hammered ,game over after about ten mins we couldn't even do the basics and crumbled in no time .Must be so hard for the lads after all the effort before today ,we are miles away from any meaningful challenge for honours .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Xander10

we've seen this false dawn so many times. no one should be suprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Disappointing. I'd like to say the lads tried hard but too many of them were sauntering around the pitch when the game was a contest. That might be part of a plan to conserve energy and finish strongly but unfortunately the likes of Kilkenny are not going to give you time off for that when it matters.

I maintain that the largest gulf we have to bridge is in S&C though. Too many of our lads are physically not able to hold their own in one on one battles with serious teams. Your skills crumble when you can't match your opposite number physically. That's what happened today. Kilkenny even threw in a few deliberately nasty challenges at the beginning of the second half for good measure. In short they bullied us and they always do that when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭JRant

An awful bait'n from the throw-in more or less. Disappointed but it was never gonna be any different.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

That couldn’t have been much worse. In front of a big Dublin crowd. Dublin were very passive no aggression. Standing right off players. All the goals were poor and could/should have been prevented.

I was wondering will a Shefflin/Donoghue manager swap be on the cards?

No time for Shefflin and he has no time for Dublin. Galway can keep him.

Dublin missed out on Davy Fitz. Don't like the man but he'd have lit a fire where one needed to be lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Don't think the current manager is the problem ,the problems today seem to have been with us for quite a while .Going on our recent form we should have at least been competitive today and not down and out after about ten mins .

Dublin are poor today, very sloppy at times. Fenton, Kilkenny not in the game at all. Haven't looked like scoring a goal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Very poor officiating here this past 10 minutes. Fenton had the head taken off him and nothing given, then a clear wide waved as a 45, and then a soft free there to win it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

We will miss Jack Flash when he is gone. No one else offers what he does. A real game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Xander10

Poor one sided reffing, happy to take the draw. Mayo not getting it done again

• Advertisement

Overall happy to get out with the draw ,we didn't deserve to win even if the ref cost us a couple of points .We have certainly got a few things to work on and if we play like that against for example Kerry we would have been beaten .Mayo got quite a few scoring chances that lucky for us they missed .We seem to take too many passes in what should have been the scoring zone .Defence is certainly an area that will give us problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Massive score from Costello, it would have blown the championship wide open if mayo won. Dublin still marginally favourites but there not a shoe in to win it. Kerry will be very happy haven't a sweat yet. Dublin still look dangerous from midfield to attack but there defence is open enough.

Davy Byrne looks like a big loss add the injury to Cian and hate to say but Mick Fitz could struggle against a Clifford this year big time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

Costello slipped a good few times today in crucial spots. Might need to change the studs or new boots. Even right at the end and thankfully slotted it over. The emotion after it went over was huge. From at the game is seemed a very clean game but some soft frees at times. Good for us to get the week off next weekend. Need to watch the game back

Good game and good result in my book. Mayo deserve a lot of credit for the fact lots of Dubs had little impact on the game. Their defensive pressure was excellent throughout. We'll improve for the run.

Anyone know what the story was with McGinnis coming off? He didn't look to be carrying a knock. Dessie blanked him as he made his way to the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it was possibly the best game of football all year , mayo are a much better team attacking from deep through the wing and cornor backs then any other team in the country , but sam callinans performance on con o callaghan stood out for me , its something that will give them real hope if the two sides meet again

i also thing they should have lynched either McCaffery or basquell in the lead up to costello's equaliser at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The game yesterday was worrying from a Dublin perspective. Ref was harsh, but we left too many chances behind us and Fitzsimons and McMahon in particular looked vulnerable at the back.

Uncharacteristic mistakes and the wrong studs also played a part. Quite a few players were slipping all over the place.

At the end of the day, Mayo were Mayo. At least they have learned not to give Cillian O'Connor the crucial frees, Ryan O'Donoghue kicking the one to put them ahead. However, they still managed to give up an equalising point. Thankfully Mayo still being Mayo saved Dublin.

Lahiff was anonymous in the first half, McGinnis seemed to be more involved but was also taken off. Mayo had a plan for Dublin midfield and it mostly worked. Cluxton with the clutch kickouts kept us in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dogsdodogsstuff

I’ve really enjoyed travelling around for Dubs away games in the Champo. Even Breffini park was a bit of fun, I hadn’t been there since 1986. Don’t know how some people have convinced themselves that Dublin playing outside croker is levelling anything, I think they enjoy the travelling and don’t see any difference in performances.

Ref was atrocious, that foul on Fenton on 66 really was deplorable, ref standing 5 yards away, no excuse , your man practically trying to get the ride on Fentons back, and somehow the ref gives the free the other way. Then the ref nearly hands a win to Mayo with the softest free you will ever see. The missed 45 I can kind of forgive but it seemed like most the bad decisions went against us.

That said , therr are worrying signs with Dublin. There were elements of the Derry league final game where Dublin kept in the games through what I think is experience muscle memory. Our players can raise it , maybe coupled with opponents sh*tying the bed a bit. But there’s a lot to work on.

Funnily enough, I felt that we needed that game desperately. We needed a close game , we we weren’t on it cause there is a team or two (Donegal ?!) outside of Kerry who could catch us on the hop in a one off game. mayo have done us a massive favour, Dessie has a lot of stuff to throw at his team to remind them how this kind of performance just won’t cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ciaran Kilkenny has some mental strength. He is some man to grab a game and make it his. In the first half, Mayo were struggling for scores against the wind. Lads coming to with 20 metres of the goal, and then turning around cause they were afraid to shoot into the wind. Dublin were likewise in the second half. Lots of passing back and forth. Eventually the ball made its way to Kilkenny, and he had only one thing on his mind. He ballooned it over the bar, and there was intent in the way he kicked it.

And that catch he did with 30 seconds left was amazing. It was all or nothing at that stage. And he just got it into his head that he was going to get it. And he did. Some warrior.

• Advertisement

Some terrible wides by Dublin killing them. Cork pulling away a bit.

Advertisement