Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He has since said he worked primarily on the suspension for the new generation of cars.

He has turned up some amazing cars, but don't forget the unrated McLaren MP4-18, I am not saying he is not as great, or nearly as great as he is, but he doesn't do it alone.

Not a direct go at you, but it is a familiar thing to hear that the car isn't great, the team are lost, they are focusing on George etc, at no point can anyone really admit that Hamilton might be past his best. That is not a stab at him, all drivers go off their best at some point. He is closing in on 40 now, it is not wild to think he might be past his best years, and that is why he is struggling, along with other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

DRS gone in 2026, being replaced by…. wait for it. X-Mode and Z-Mode….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Any link with the explanation of what each will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And, be honest, do you feel the same way about Fernando Alonso? I'm not trying to be snide. It's just if you throw the age thing at Hamilton, it reflects Alonso as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

100%. As much as Alonso defies the laws of ageing in sport, he is nowhere near his best anymore. Great to see him on podiums, but this Alonso is not the same as the one that went head to head with Schumacher at Imola in 2005, or the one driving the 2012 Ferrari to a final round shoot-out for the championship.

Same as well when Schumacher came back in 2010, it was not the same. Drivers lose their edge over time, it is natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Helmut says Yuki is set to stay at VCARB and Lawson has an exit clause if they don't offer him a seat as he's allegedly meant to get a seat for 2025. If Ricciardo keeps his seat I'd be very surprised if nobody snaps up Lawson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Regs aren't signed off by the teams apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes indeed you are right the car is very important and the better the car the easier it is for a good driver to do well and win.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

He wouldn't be at the front but he would get the most out of car,the car it's self will not win races no matter who designs it,Max I think far ahead off anyone on the grid

Daniel will be another one gone. Not up to it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Tsunonda confirmed for another year at vcarb. Just 1 year is a strange extension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Makes perfect sense, discussed during the week how its Honda's last year with the RedBull family, and Tsunoda being bound to them, so a 1 year extension with RB was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That tie up between red bull and honda involving a Japanese driver was always unspoken. But it was likely the case. Red Bull were negotiating to get the IP for honda engines for the RB engine manufacturing, when honda was pulling out of F1 and red bull signed Tsunoda. Then honda decided to get back into F1 after selling the engine technology.

Honda makes the worst decisions. They're good when they throw an extra billion at it, but they enter and leave F1 at all the wrong times

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya honda really have a shocking history when it comes to timing F1 withdrawals. This time quiting the engine program probably as bad as any

Bearman at haas next season apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Has it been announced? It's apparently been as good as a done deal since at least his drive in Saudi.

Bizarre penalty. Loads of examples in recent seasons of others doing the same without being penalised.

https://x.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/1799962210686669118?t=wUqWU81MAN4lR3f5VWMvdA&s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Jacovs

So thats 19th or 20th instead of 16th or 17th place start next race?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Usually it tends to be pieces of front wings/End players hanging on in those examples.

Perez’s rear wing was barely hanging on and they’re quite big and bulky so can see why they penalised em. Obviously the irony being that a few seconds later Sainz spun out Albon in the wall which brought out the safety car anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Formula 1 is a complex sport, and with the right car and development platform, most drivers on the grid could compete for a World Championship. Lewis Hamilton’s age might be affecting his performance in qualifying, where quick laps are crucial. Younger drivers tend to excel in this area due to their faster reaction times. However, Lewis and Max Verstappen remain the top racers overall. During the Canada weekend, George Russell was all over the place, while Lewis maintained consistency. Lewis leaving Mercedes will likely impact the team’s direction, benefiting George. This dynamic is typical in Formula 1 and I do think that in terms of car direction and strategy, Lewis is not reaping the same benefits he did last year.

I think Tsunoda would be in the Red Bull at this point if he could keep his head on during races.

Russell out qualified and beat Hamilton at Canada. Russell himself said he was messy, and Hamilton equally said the same, so I’ve no clue what you are taking about with consistency, results matter.

Again, and not a go at you, but we are getting plenty of excuses, none of which could be that Hamilton could just be past his best. It’s not a dig, it’s natural for even the best to go off the boil.

The top drivers, for me, right now are: Verstappen, Norris, Leclerc, Sainz and Piastri. On current form and car performance, they are the best on the grid.

During Hamilton’s first year with Russell, he focused heavily on developing the car, and Russell gained the upper hand. In the second year, Hamilton outperformed Russell as the car remained consistent, putting both drivers on a level playing field. On the surface, Russell appears to be outperforming Hamilton this year, and it’s true that Hamilton may be experiencing a dip in form. However, if we delve deeper and listen to experts in the F1 community—such as analysts from The Race who look at the data and speak with people in the pittlane—we discover that Lewis is leaving Mercedes and is no longer involved in the car’s development, he's out performing Russell in practice and come qualifying he's struggling to keep heat in the tyres. There's plenty of information out there that he is not involved in developing that car at all and its killing him on a Saturday.

Throughout this season, Russell has benefited from strategic calls, like the one in Canada where he was put on medium tires while Hamilton used hard tires. Russell had a challenging race in Canada, showing that he sometimes buckles under pressure. While he excels in qualifying, he falls short of Hamilton’s race performance on Sundays. Over the last three years, Lewis remains part of the top-tier drivers, and although he struggles in qualifying currently, he’s only matched by Verstappen in terms of consistency on a Sunday. If Ferrari performs well next year, Russell may challenge Leclerc in qualifying, but Hamilton will likely be up there competing for wins on race day with Verstappen. Piastri is on his way to beating Norris consistently in the next 12 months.

I don't think Lewis is past it. I just think nothing has gone his way with these new regs and that terrible Mercedes.

I would rate the top drivers as follows:

Verstappen - Great in qualifying, quick on a Sunday but looses his head under pressure.

Lewis - The most consistent driver on the grid on a Sunday, brilliant at managing tyres. Not great in qualifying.

Piastri - Very quick but lacks experience on a Sunday.

Norris - A good all-rounder but lacks confidence on a Sunday.

LeClerc - Very fast in qualifying, inconsistent on a Sunday.

Sainz - Similar to Lewis in qualifying, brilliant on a Sunday when things are going his way.

Alonso - Great all-rounder. Aggressive but not enough experience in a top car.

George - Quick on Saturday but nervous on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

@n.d.os interesting post. I agree on the Hamilton part and there seems to be valid factors that are not helping his performance rather than it being cut and dry decline due to age. I do hope he can hit the ground running with Ferrari for the sake of F1but it will be a tough ask.

I can’t buy into your rankings though. Seem a bit inconsistent to me in terms of the what you’re valuing.

During Hamilton’s first year with Russell, he focused heavily on developing the car, and Russell gained the upper hand. In the second year, Hamilton outperformed Russell as the car remained consistent, putting both drivers on a level playing field. On the surface, Russell appears to be outperforming Hamilton this year, and it’s true that Hamilton may be experiencing a dip in form. However, if we delve deeper and listen to experts in the F1 community—such as analysts from The Race who look at the data and speak with people in the pittlane—we discover that Lewis is leaving Mercedes and is no longer involved in the car’s development, he's out performing Russell in practice and come qualifying he's struggling to keep heat in the tyres. There's plenty of information out there that he is not involved in developing that car at all and its killing him on a Saturday.

In the first year, both drivers focused on developing the car, singling out Hamilton doesn't really do anything to your point here as Russell was also developing the car. For the second year, Russell did experience a dip in form, he also suffered from reliability as well, like in Australia, he did make more mistakes like he did in Singapore. We don't need to listen to experts (would they happen to be British?), and what data are you talking about? What people are you speaking with in the pitlane? We aren't discovering anything at all here, we all know Hamilton is leaving the team…it is very public.

He might not be involved in developing the car, but that seems like a cop out when he has the exact same car and information as Russell. This is a 7 time WC, are you telling me that after all of that, he is suffering that much from a lack of data (is there even proof of that?).

Throughout this season, Russell has benefited from strategic calls, like the one in Canada where he was put on medium tires while Hamilton used hard tires. Russell had a challenging race in Canada, showing that he sometimes buckles under pressure. While he excels in qualifying, he falls short of Hamilton’s race performance on Sundays. Over the last three years, Lewis remains part of the top-tier drivers, and although he struggles in qualifying currently, he’s only matched by Verstappen in terms of consistency on a Sunday. If Ferrari performs well next year, Russell may challenge Leclerc in qualifying, but Hamilton will likely be up there competing for wins on race day with Verstappen. Piastri is on his way to beating Norris consistently in the next 12 months.

He has beaten Hamilton in races as well as qualifying, so if you are saying Russell is buckling under pressure (what driver didn't make a mistake in Canada?), what does that say about Hamilton? Can't see how you are saying Hamilton is only matched by Verstappen (it should be the other way around, by the way), when Hamilton hasn't won a race in the past 3 seasons, so far at least. No idea at all how you can say that Hamilton will be competing for wins when Leclerc will only be challenging against Russell…that is a big leap. Same as well to say that Piastri is on the way to beating Norris…how? Norris is the only driver to win a race for McLaren during their time together (Oscar only won a sprint), Norris comprehensively beat Oscar last year, and is beating him again this year.

You are making big claims against all the evidence here mate, are you sure you just aren't a Hamilton fan and can't admit he might be past it? He is 39 now, like I have said, it is not a dig to say he is past his best. The idea that he could compete against Verstappen (the best driver on the grid right now) is a huge leap when he hasn't won a race since 2021…

I don't think Lewis is past it. I just think nothing has gone his way with these new regs and that terrible Mercedes. 

Riiiiiiiight, nothing to do with him being older…sure.

I would rate the top drivers as follows:

Verstappen - Great in qualifying, quick on a Sunday but looses his head under pressure. 

When was the last time Verstappen lost it under pressure? He is the best there is on the grid right now, bar none. He has won 50 of the last 75 races…just think about that for a second.

Lewis - The most consistent driver on the grid on a Sunday, brilliant at managing tyres. Not great in qualifying. 

Rubbish. No wins since 2021, couldn't manage tires at the weekend. How can you even say he is the most consistent right now, that is baffling.

Piastri - Very quick but lacks experience on a Sunday. 

Norris - A good all-rounder but lacks confidence on a Sunday. 

LeClerc - Very fast in qualifying, inconsistent on a Sunday.

Sainz - Similar to Lewis in qualifying, brilliant on a Sunday when things are going his way.

George - Quick on Saturday but nervous on a Sunday.

Leclerc is probably the best out of that bunch, followed by Norris. But hold on…you are saying Alonso doesn't have enough experience in a top car? You are saying that about a 2x world champion, and who got to the final round with Ferrari in 2010 and 2012, what???

When did you start watching F1?

ndos, sorry, but your post is all over the place. Top 3 drivers are Max by a distance, (what’s this nonsense about him losing his head) Lando and Charles.

I’m on phone but happy to take the post fully apart later

• Advertisement

This one particularly stood out for me though

2 time world champion. Has driven top cars most of the first half of his career. Do you even know about Benetton?

Advertisement