Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Grealish ran the show at Villa, then was given a very defined role at City, basically stuck on the left win all the time and he did it successfully. He can play whatever roles he's asked to.

His issue was getting injured this season and when he came back Doku had established himself at his position. That doesn't mean he was out of form. He's playing at City, Matheus Nunes is in a very strong Portugal squad despite spending most of his time on the bench for City, Renato Sanchez wasn't picked. Julian Alvarez will be in a ridiculously strong Argentina forwards squad despite spending a lot of time on the bench at City.

Grealish got an opportunity in a friendly, grabbed it with both hands and he's left at home while Bowen who's unlikely to get any time on the pitch was brought.

They won't win it anyway because Southgate is in charge.

When Southgate goes after the Euros he'll be back in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

no. You were told you were moving the goalposts after you’d said Foden had never played on the left, trying to make out he’d played right from when he was a kid until being moved central.

Your initial point was that Gordon was the only option to play on the left side. Which has been thoroughly shown to not be the case, with Eze having shone there this season, and Foden having been shown to play there more than anywhere else in his senior career.

I wouldn’t have been particularly surprised if Grealish had been brought, he’s a decent player to come off the bench. But I equally understand dropping him since they’re pretty stacked in the area. Foden will start there, with Gordon and Eze as strong game changers in good goal scoring form.

Would love to see Jack leave City… it always felt a bad fit for a bit of a wildcard player like him, a bit of a waste of three years of his career (though admittedly I’m sure a lot of money!)

I checked and Foden played six games in all competitions on the left in 22/23 and eight times 21/22.

Foden didn't play there this year.

It's you that's moving the goalposts saying these players all deserved to be there on form and then going back in history to prove a player played on the left a few years ago.

Eze's position was no.10 last season. That's what got him into the England squad.

Eze wasn't selected to play on the left and neither was Foden.

Foden played on the right eleven times this season, moved over to the left late in three games and played central for most of the rest and as the forward for a couple.

Thus was Fodens best season by miles and you play him where he excelled this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Foden played on the left in the FA Cup Final so your whole argument is redundant

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah foden played more than they there. You must have check very hard. 88 games on the left for him. More than any other position..

Eze was used on the left quite a bit too

Here's three years (20/21, 21/22, 22/23) worth of season-long heatmaps (from the same source you used yourself) showing you exactly what positions Foden was in on the pitch. I'd personally say that would look like a man who spends a lot of time playing on the left, being occasionally used centre and right - which is exactly where I think most of us would have said he played in that period.

Eze's been awesome on the left for Palace since Glasner came in, scoring and creating a tonne of goals there. Him left, Matetta centre forward, and Olise right. He played a good chunk at AM as well, particularly while Olise was out, but his best performances have come from coming inside off the left, in the same way that Grealish, Foden, and Gordon all do, and the way that England will use. All right footed left sided players.

Here's his heat map for the season (again from the source you used yourself), showing exactly that - the vast majority of his time left and centre this season. A lot of work tracking back to left fullback too, which is interesting of a guy we think of as so attacking;

And now here's Grealish's heat map, showing him playing in very similar areas to what Foden does for City when he plays on the left;

I'd look at those five heatmaps, and say they all represent lads who are pretty comfortable attacking on the left.

I agree that Southgate might well cost England, but I don't think their quality on the left will be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dunno why ye bother, Foden obviously will be playing on the left for England. Hes played there for city extensively. The other poster wouldn’t accept water is wet if you said it.

Grealish isn’t there on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

@eagle eye I think at this stage, there aren't anymore goalposts for you to move.

Seriously, accept Grealish is not going and stop trying to make it sound like he was hard done by.

You have bolted your opinion to a ship that has already sunk.

Probably should just leave it there.

• Advertisement

yeah, j’know, I’m embarrassed for getting so engaged in it. It’s a lovely day. A quick hurl outside and a pint 👍

• Grealish has done nothing at city imo. Much much worse than pogba. Offers them nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Maybe Southgate is worried about Grealish and his party boy lifestyle. He doesn't want a repeat of Euro 96 and the oul dentist chair. Southgate was in that squad🤣

I put up Foden's heatmap for the 23/24 season. That's the key one as regards this tournament. He hasn't been picked to play on the left. I told you how many times he's played on the left which is not very often in any of the last three seasons.

As for Eze, his heatmap shows that where he has spent most of his time is about 5' left of the penalty spot. He got picked for England because of his form in that position so again he hasn't been selected to play on the left. Both are central attacking midfielders, Foden can play deeper too.

Sure they might be able to move there and do a decent job but it's not either players position. Only one left sided player was brought. Three right sided players were brought and you didn't hear me mention that Foden could play there even though he played there eleven times this season. And suggesting Bowen can play as the central striker as another reason to bring him is ridiculous too, you've got Kane, Watkins and Toney for that position.

I haven't moved the goalposts, you are doing that and making ridiculous statements that Foden and Eze were brought to play on the left. You want to insist that players should be brought because of their form but then want to go back to the past to contend that Foden is a left sided player while his form has been in central midfield with quite a bit of play on the right and a bit at centre forward.

My contention all along was that Bowen shouldn't be there. You turned that into an argument that there were plenty of left sided players which there is not.

I don't think you even know what a goalpost is and I'm talking about real ones as well as metaphorical ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Germany should win this tournament comfortably, law of averages and cycles and that. Thought they would of won the last world cup too, and still think, had they got out of the group, they may have done. Once Germany are in any way competitive, it's always hard to look past them. Lowe stagnated them for years, staying on well too long, and Guardiolas influence at Bayern effected their playing style too, negatively. So they were hindered for a long time, but now normal order should resume for them. particularly with the home crowd behind them.

As always, Italy will be there or there abous. Struggle to often qualify for major tournaments of late, but once they are there, are a different beast. Their game management and temperment in major tournaments is unrivalled, even if people would suggest they don't have the individual talent one might expect from Italy. They were always going to win the last Euros, Germany regressing opened the door for them to go unoppossed really. History doesn't lie. Italy and Germany are the two to beat.

Of the rest, France should be there or thereabouts. Netherlands should be fairly well drilled and pragmatic, with a good blend of talent. Just never seem to be able to get over the line.

Portugal may have a chance if Ronaldo is on the bench, but if he starts, they've no hope.

England are hardly worth even mentioning. No chance. Terrible manager and system. Some good players, but even their squad is over hyped. Even if they had all the best players, none of them understand basic game management. Need to hope for the draw to open up. for them, like in the last two tournaments. They got lucky and still couldn't capatilise to win. No hopers. The level they're at right now, would be tanked by Germany.

Funnily enough, we've never had a final where Italy and Germany have met. Be great to see European footballs two heavweights go at it in the final!

Edit, just one other point on Italy. People are giving them no chance this year and scoff at the idea they'll do anything. Far weaker players than last time etc. No one giving them a chance. But look at it this way, you back a different team to win it. Suddenly they come up against Italy. How confident now would you be of beating them, or would you deem them so poor anymore?

They'll surprise alot of people. Even poor and average Italian players are generally better all round players than anyone else. That suits a two week grind. And they have great craft and game management. And they carry great belief and a winners mentality. This all counts for alot. England by contrast, have none of that, but people don't consider these things

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thanks for clearing that up then.

After you were eulogising a 30 minute 'man of the match' performance.

You are all over the place fella.

Seriously.

On the topic of Grealish, if I was an England surporter, I'd be tearing my hair out. England seem intent of ostracising what you'd call the traditional number 10 playmaker, and they've done it again. Any chance this talented England squad had, is being destroyed by a completely incompetant management team, and this generation will pass, never getting close to their potential.

Grealish's growth as a player has stunted at City, should of never went there. But his form, lifestyle, dedication or whatever is immaterial for the national team. He's their only player with an actual football brain in his head. If England were to have any hope, the team needed to be built around him. So, they've jettisoned their only hope.

Quite simply, England have no other player that has the technical qualities or vision that Grealish possesses, that they'll need against the likes of Germany, France et all for their game management. I don't think Grealish is generally living up to his potential, but I think this tourament would of suited him. He's England's most naturally gifted player in terms of his vision, football IQ, and playmaking. As I said, the team should of been built around him, and he was the missing piece to bring it all together for England, as a cohesive team unit

They bear no resemblance to each other. One is about a performance, the other is about a player regularly playing a position. How can you think this is a comparison?

I'm done with you after this and hope the mods step in at some point because you're derailing the whole forum.

Anyway you're point that I replied to is that Foden didn't play LW at all this year. He played LW 3 weeks ago. You are wrong, again, and just won't admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Xander10

Anyone dare predict semi final line ups?

I Haven't study it much yet, but I think its far from the two horse race of France or England to win it, that some "media experts" are predicting.

Likely group winners

Germany

Spain

England

France

Belgium

Portugal

The knockout stages could be tasty.

Kane will be desperate to win the golden boot. Will Ronaldo throw the toys out of the pram if on the bench too much. Mbappe probably favourite. Might come done to who gets more penalties in game time. Hope Harry doesn't get a flashback to the WC

I don't think Germany can win it, they are missing an out and out goalscorer. France are the heavy favourites for me, their squad is just ridiculous. Depth all over the park. Next after France is Portugal IMO their attacking and midfield options rival France. Its maybe defence where we'd see the difference.

I think it'll be a cracking tournament and my outside bet is that England don't make it out of the group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We need to revisit Ademola Lookman not getting picked. That was a interesting goalpost that appeared.

Why isn't Southgate picking Nigerian internationals for the Euro's?

You are wrong about how many times he played on the left though. You've been wrong about a few players. Hell you even had a Nigeria player on the plane for England. Just stop digging

I got it wrong and admitted it immediately. 😂

The lad is English born and bred and played underage over 30 times for the country of his birth.

I'm not derailing anything, I've been talking about squad selection for Euro 2024. Thus is the Euro 2024 thread.

I put up Foden's season heatmap which backed up my comments about where Foden played. You then put up a lineup for the FA cup final, you don't even say how long he spent on the left in that match. Did you watch the match?

I'm done with you and your ridiculous arguments and unwarranted accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Grealish should have been picked imo. If losing a game in the knockouts there is no chance Bowen comes on. It's a squad picked worrying about a potential injury, rather than to win the thing.

Grealish at least might do something.

I still think England are massive favorites and should win it easily

• Advertisement

We need to look at the draw. I had a quick look at it the other day and Portugal seem to have a nice route to get deep in the tournament. They play a third placed team in the last sixteen and then the winner of a runners up match between France's group, likely Netherlands, and Belgium's group which is hard to call. So maybe the Dutch in the last eight.

Portugal and England won't have to face another group winner before the semi-final.

Portugal have Germany and Spain as potential semi-final opponents. England have Belgium and France.

I don't think they have a balanced enough squad to win it easily. Pickford is good at some things but he has costly errrors in his game, always has always will. Stones, Shaw, Trippier and Gomez are all liable to get injured if they play games in close succession.

Who plays with Rice? Mainoo and Wharton are both young but seem well beyond their years, but for all the good about Mainoo, there are some aspects to his game that will be exposed at this level. TAA might be a good shout there but it's a risk. Conor Gallagher might be the safest bet to play. Where does Bellingham play? Play him in Midfield 3 or as an AM. Rice, Gallagher and Bellingham possibly is the sensible one. It's the area of the pitch they need to get right most. I think their defence and keeper have too many individual errors in them or have reliability/fitness issues, except maybe Kyle Walker

Kane is nailed on to play up front. Saka likely on the right. Foden can play anywhere so does he got behind, on the left and get Eze in too?

I also don't see why Bowen wouldn't be brought on. He's coming off the back of a 20 goal season. He's a tidy player. Works hard chases lost causes. They have so many options for the 3 behind kane though that it might nearly be too many.

And we look at Grealish's English career. He's played 36 times, but only started 15. Has less than 18 full games worth of minutes. Has not had much impact in any meaningful game he has played. It's like the clamour years ago to get Joe cole in because he was a bit different, but it never quite worked out when he was picked.

I'd guess Rice and Mainoo as double 6s, Bellingham at AM, Foden left, Saka right, Kane CF. That way, you get all four of England's best attackers all playing in positions they're incredibly comfortable in. After years of trying to shoehorn Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in together, this is perhaps the most natural balance of fitting their best players in that they've had in a long time - a real threat, as long as their defensive side can hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Think so and rotate Gallagher, Gordon, Wharton, Palmer, Eze & Watkins. The important thing is to play players in their natural position. There are more questions over the defence but I imagine this will become more settled as the game’s progress.

Germany can't win it, what are you smoking lad? It's more a question of who can stop them, buoyed on by the home crowd. Germany at their very worst, like Italy, can still win these tournaments, that's why Italy and Germany are consistent winners, with only Brazil at their level.

And that's Germany at their worst. This is a competitive Germany team with the home crowd behind them. It will take something special to stop them. And the only one proven team to regularly beat them in major tournaments is the other heavyweight, Italy. History doesn't lie. There's a reason those two have an unmatched consistency. They work out ways, to do what needs to be done, when it matters most, regardless of their individual players. Germany and Italy play chess, the rest don't, that's the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree on Germany and Italy being there or thereabouts. In terms of a complete outsider having a decent tournament I would go for Denmark.

Deschamps was a great and promising manager. What he did with Monaco in 2003/04 was remarkable. Went to Juve in big trouble after, and worked wonders

But he has stagnated as a manager, taking the wrong roles and positions since, and like Lowe has started to stagnate France. It's only downhill here for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm going to go with France (I know, risky bet) but I have a fear that England might actually turn up for this tournament.

Please don't let it happen.

People have their favourites and fancied teams. Some will have a cycle here and there, like Spain or France. But when it comes down to it, Italy and Germany have it sown up. They're the only two nations, that knows what has to be done, to win.

History doesn't lie, proven winners. Italy played a fancied Belgium in the last euros. Everyone thought Belgium were stacked with winners and individual talent. They beat Italy in a friendly before. But when it mattered, Italy battered them out the gate, gave them an absolute lesson. That's what Italy and Germany do in knock out football.

England beat Italy recently in the group stages. England play Italy in the knock out rounds, forget about it from an England point of view. Italy are a special national team, they'll do what needs to be done when it matters. Never underestimate them, they love that!

Only an absolute idiot would put a team like England ahead of Italy to win this tournament!

In what world was getting the huge squad he had promoted out of serie working wonders. Yes quite a few left but they had a squad that would have been comfortable in the higher reaches of serie a.

He got to a cl final which was of course remarkable in a bit of an outlier CL season as noone had Porto or Monaco down as winners, but he finished 3rd to Lyon ans was knocked out kf both cups.

And then he stagnated? Back to back world cup finals say otherwise. And 3 of the last tournaments they've been in he's had then in finals. Loew never had that sort of consistent success. They absolutely batter Switzerland too in 21 but lost.

I don't know why I reply to you but you're bs is really astounding sometimes

• Advertisement

Germany out at quarter finals to whomever tops group b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Two tight final losses and a victory in 5 international tournaments is hardly stagnation? Had he won both those finals that went to extra time/penalities he'd be arguably the most successful international manager ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

" But when it comes down to it, Italy and Germany have it sown up. They're the only two nations, that knows what has to be done, to win"

Is this the Italy that failed to qualify for 2 successive World Cups?

Or the Germany that went out of the 2022 WC at the group stage?

Italy, Brazil, Argentina and Germany generally have world football sown up between them. Won't happen everytime for each of them, but generally there's a great chance they'll start to perform when the pressure and occassion is at stake

Italy don't have the individual talent at the minute, it's hard for them to play their hard grind and system in group stage games in the middle of nowhere, in seemingly meaningless games. They save it for the major tournaments, a two week window to raise it if they qualify. Once in, there's very few beating them.

Germany were extremely unlucky in the last world cup group stage tbh. Even their xc was the best of all sides in the group stages.

Generally speaking, no one navigates intentional football like Italy and Germany

Italy when they get to the finals, are a different beast. I thought someone as knowledgeable on football as you, would of known that. If your judging Italy on their qualifying, it shows nothing in terms of what they'll bring to a major tournament

Spain and Germany have three European championships each, Italy have two as do France. Germany last won the Euros 28 years ago.

History means nothing in this day and age. Greece and Portugal have both won the Euros since the turn of the century. France and Spain both won World Cups since the turn of the century. It's not like it was in the old days. If you have a good squad you have a much better chance of winning nowadays regardless of history.

I've picked Portugal, just love the squad.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes they are terrible. Italy might not even get out of their group. They should but they are in the hardest group and Spain and Croatia are both well able to beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

My group winners are

Switzerland (GD), Spain, England*, France*, Belgium*, Portugal* with the asterisked teams getting 9 points.

I have Albania beating Germany & England :) with SF POR vs SWI and ALB vs FRA. Portugal beat France aet in the final.

I haven't been sleeping well for the last few weeks !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Anybody playing the UEFA Match predictor game ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Me. I'll be playing (badly) all the UEFA competitions. You can relax now, confident you won't finish last!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement