Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Cork area- 2023

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

What handicap index are you looking at to fall into that category?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'd say scratch or better

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The WHS system for me is 2 shots off the old system, for me +2.0 is similar to scratch in the old system. I got to +1 but definitely would not see myself as a scratch golfer, just takes a couple of good rounds to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Kinsale third year in a row upping the sub by €100, now €1335. Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Yeah, I think that's getting too much for the course but maybe the range/practice facilities make it ok...maybe!

I hear it's open for new members this year - any idea on the cost for a new member? A few years back it was a lot cheaper for a new member than an existing one...

• Advertisement

I've seen very few Cork clubs advertising membership this year, suggests most clubs must be happy with numbers they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

No entrance money or anything extra for new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Williewell

I've just moved to Cork and have tried to get into Mahon as was nearby but waiting list for full membership is crazy. I don't want to pay an entrance fee for somewhere yet until I know the golf scene better and can better commit to a course when I know more. I'm thinking of joining either Muskerry, Cobh or East Cork. Any thoughts on why not to join Any of them? Thanks

My own opinion on those courses would be that Muskerry is the best course of the 3.

However, it's €1,500 to join and you said you're not certain yet on long term decision. Cobh is €950 but you can pay it monthly at €79 so you're not tied into anything long term.

East Cork I've no massive knowledge on but remember it as fairly short and tight.

To me, Cobh would be the best option to get up and running until you figure out long term plan.

A lot probably depends too on location and how far of a drive you are from courses

@big_drive thanks a mill for the advice. They're all around 20 mins away with morning traffic so that's not an issue. I've played Muskerry and it was in very good condition but found it very hilly. Is the,€1500 an entrance fee? I didnt realise they had one. Cobh might be the one for now until I find a long term home. Will have to play it this week.

• Advertisement

No entrance fee in Muskerry as far as I know, €1,500 is the sub including bar levy and golf Ireland registration

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cobh be hilly too but would say less extreme than Muskerry. For the price paid its grand, very much enjoyed being a member there. Tough first 6 holes but quality setting. 10th hole is the signature hole, but I actually preferred the 12th.

Blarney at €1,000 might be another option to consider. A 6 month membership available too at €550

New head greenkeeper who moved from Douglas GC and the place is in great condition already since he's arrived and made changes

Thanks lads. Will play Cobh and East Cork soon to see how they are. Blarney is just that bit too far but investigate Muskerry again.

No bother. If new to area you might not realise but there's only 2 miles between Muskerry and Blarney courses. While it's called Blarney it's actually a few miles from Blarney village etc and is actually in Tower which is only up the road from Muskerry

Thanks, I noticed that alright. It's 30 mins from my house, I think it's just outside my range. Muskerry at 25 mins is straddling the acceptance line. The two clubs east of me will probably more suitable with evening traffic if I'm to head out for a few holes after work.

Can I ask where you play yourselves?

Advertisement