Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭donaghs

Can someone realistically make a leadership challenge in Sinn Fein?
    Adam’s was leader from 1983 until 2018, there was never a hint of dissent in the party against him, ever. When it came time to depart, there was no competition or discussion, McDonald was crowned leader and O’Neill made vice-president.
    maybe they are unique in Irish political parties for having an unanimous hive-mind.

Or as you say, maybe the back room figures will decide now if McDonald stays on, or announces her retirement from leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

So apart from the cohort feasting on the carcass of supposed Mary Lou’s demise, what next for Sinn Fein? Don’t think I’ve ever witnessed such a collapse in support. Was it the 300k gaffs or fencing sitting on immigration? Have to say I feel sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"maybe they are unique in Irish political parties for having an unanimous hive-mind."

Not quite as Fine Gael recently did the same with Harris & Humphreys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭donaghs

Why make such a ridiculous post? We’ve seen plenty of leadership competitions in Fine Gael? Just look at 2017 when Varadker and Coveney were the front runners. Same with all the major parties, except Sinn Fein - maybe they just agree more on everything, all the time? 😀

A ridiculous post which is factually correct information? FG have a coronated leader and deputy leader. There was no election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think a good proportion of their base have concerns on immigration which the party does not reflect so people have moved elsewhere or just not voted. Surprised at how poorly they are doing but if the numbers keep up for FFG then I can see an early general election called

To what extent has SF's fall in popularity got to do with the fact that Leo Varadkar is no longer taoiseach and leader of FG?

I'd say it's a significant factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looking forward to see a few posters trying to flip this as a positive result for SF…somehow.

I've no doubt that had MLMcD vociferously opposed rampant immigration and wokeism that SFs support would have remained in the 30s…….But she didn't. Her problem then became that FF/FG/GP?Lab/PBP all support these policies and there really wasn't a requirement for another part to join the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

SF voters have run back to FG now that Leo has gone. Really? You're saying SF voters were all homophobes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

no i don’t think he means that… just leo was totally unlikable

That's quite a jump in your head. I'm stating that LV was voter repellent. Generally the voters didn't like him…..and the results of every election he was in as FG leader give evidence to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

So those voters moved their vote to SF 'cos they didn't like Leo? As you'd say, that's quite a jump…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

I would suspect SF will acknowledge post this election that that the "far right" are not actually that far away if you squint your eyes a certain way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭JVince

The "far right" or "anti immigration" candidates did very poorly. Despite predictions, they will be less than 5% of the vote.

I think SF listened far too much to the noise of the far right without understanding that they were a very small group of uneducated and mostly social welfare dependent types and that the cohort of people, whilst concerned about the rise in immigration, were not anti immigration and simply wanted to see some form of control on the issue.

The fact that the economy is going gangbusters certainly helps the government parties.

• Rewind back to the last local elections when Sinn Fein did terrible, a short while later there was a general election and many of the candidates deemed not worthy of representing at local council elections topped the polls and elected tds.

I believe same will happen so advise the FF/FG hq to tone down their optimism. At the end of the day SF only care about the Dail so ML just has to settle the ship for a few months and it’ll be job done.

• That’s exactly it, similar to some parts of this website our local Facebook group has been absolutely hijacked by a handful of people with hard right wing agendas, the type of people who have all the time in the world to out shout everyone else. A very useful group originally set up to foster a local community ethos now has more posts about emigration and anti government than actual useful community posts. Members have either left or no longer post so to a casual observer the area should be voting one way but the tallies are saying otherwise. Empty vessels and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Adams with the eyes set to psychopath but still smiling and chatting amicably about how easy it is to get from Dublin to Belfast and vice versa these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Any chance of anyone challenging MLMD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

As bad as she is, she isn't going anywhere.

A similar result in the GE and she's under big pressure.

However, I'd expect them to galvanise the student support for that and recover somewhat.

132,000 carers were given a €1850 payment at a cost of €275m to the citizens of Ireland on Thursday - the day before the election. FF/FG have given welfare dependents (more likely to support SF) over double an increase as to what they gave their own supporters in the public service for 2024 with Christmas bonuses extending to include January bonuses. Dumping loads of immigrants into SF supporting areas and watching MLMcD support it all was always to end badly for SF.

Also those most likely to vote SF on housing are emigrating (30,000+ in 2023….similar figures to the 1980s).

I expect similar to happen in early 2025. FF/FG will use the state's finances as their own personal bank account to shore money into people's pockets as public services go neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Perhaps, perhaps here is a strange concept, but maybe maybe, people prefer that carers get money instead of some random people arriving here from Middle East

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Irish phyche was triggered by a brainfart by Charlie Flanagan, as an earlier poster pointed out. A big number of voters coming your way is always a soft vote, remember Lb in the 90s, and will just as easily slip away. Once they're gone, they're gone. Very delighted that the hard right didn't make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Milominderbender

Fine Gael decided in January 2020 to hold a black and tans commemoration just weeks before the general election. There was a public backlash and Sinn Fein were the beneficiaries.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Labour lost support after vowing not put FF into government after the 1992 election and then breaking that promise straight after the election. They had five years in government for people to see who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

And yet he made Taoiseach for five years unlike ML despite the 24/7 hatefest 🤷‍♂️

The vast majority of people in FG didn't even vote for Leo Varadkar in the 2017 leadership election. He only became taoiseach because their election process is rigged in favour of the parliamentary party with a TD/Senator effectively having a vote worth 300+ times more than ordinary members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭pureza

They did vote to have that voting process though

• Advertisement

OMOV is a characteristic so defining of democracy that it doesn't really require much explaining. If a party chooses to rig a process in favour of certain members of that party then it's processes are not truly democratic.

As a consequence FG is not a democratic party but an oligarchic party.

Advertisement