Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭deezell

Facetious? Thats putting it mildly. You sound like the type of Gaa fanatic in the sixties whose love of the sport was based on disrespect for the other 'banned' games. I recall being chased off a public playing pitch (an historical 'townspark' granted by the Duke of Leinster), by the rabid trustee because were were playing soccer, and him screeching that only Gaelic could be played there, though the Gaa had no claim whatsoever to it. No surprise that there were two soccer teams registered in our town, while the out of town Gaa grounds were overgrown and derelict from the 50s.

And BTW, I'd say the Gaa has the monopoly on dead rubbers, ask any critic of the current structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You need to go for a walk, and get over the trauma of someone shouting at you when you were a kid. Nothing against rugby in itself, but the prioritizing of a largely meaningless fixture over the European athletics where we had a good chance of a medal was a poor decision,and it shows where the loyalties lie within RTE which feeds into what the topic of this thread is. They could even had dropped out for the 3 minutes, or shown an overlay of the athletics if they wanted.

God bless our former colonial overlords and their BBC coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Except rugby yesterday wasn't largely meaningless. Dropped out for 3 minutes. No they couldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It was a very poor decision by RTE to show the Rugby over the Athletics - absolutely.

This was a major event, that doesn't come around very often, rugby games are two a penny by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But The rugby will get far more viewers and they had the athletics on player/on line. If it wasn't an election weekend then likely it could have been shown on news channel

• Advertisement

The race was on a stream on player, as @Lost Ormond confirmed. Do your homework. And BTW, I took a nice walk to Lansdowne Rd. yesterday, great match, even better live.

Player, LOL 😁

Munster won by was it 16 points? Of course they could have shown the race live, either drop out altogether or show a split screen, it's not beyond the wit of man to be honest. That they chose not to shows where their priorities lay, which is the point I'm making.

It was a poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Dowling on the Sunday Game says "Limerick never have a lull but when they had one against Cork they came back" 🙄

Then Ursula Jacob with a voice like fingernails on a blackboard……

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

If a gold hadn't of been won there would not have been a word about that race. I didn't see to many complaining anywhere beforehand that it wasn't been shown…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

On Sunday the live GAA will be on RTE 1 and TG4. 13:10 to 17:40 and 12:45 to 14:55 respectively. RTE 2 will be soccer from 13:30 to 00:00, except for the Sunday Game. I assume the fans of golf and horse racing will be able to find their coverage elsewhere, if there is some Irish involvement.

• Advertisement

Apart from the Irish festival's, much horse racing is not broadcast on free to air. Golf is mostly on Sky sports. Saturday TG4 reserved for the 'pointless' Celtic Lea., sorry, URC semi finals. Here's hoping that an Irish speaking participant in the North Korean Tiddlywinks tournament doesn't win a gold medal halfway through the Munster match or we'll never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

Well one thing I'm thankfull to RTE for is giving the road to that ego maniac Joe Brolly. He has found his level now on backwoods podcasts, howling at the moon. I'm no Mickey Harte fan but the unhinged hatchet job Brolly is doing on him on whatever platforms he can is sorry and sad. Harte is a proven inter county manager, Brolly applied for that role at one of his clubs and wasn't trusted with it, enough said. He is still crying about getting the chop from RTE but it was the perfect public slapping the little pup needed.

Go easy on him, didn't he donate the left side of his brain, or something, to a stranger? (It refused to cooperate anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think the TG4 hurling commentary is far more professional than some of the RTE stuff.

Marty Morrissey should just call the games, not be talking nonsense for laughs with fans before or after games, and he needs to be more honest about the quality. Just describe what is happening, don't try to sell it.

TG4 commentary is just honest, they don't constantly tell you games or incidents that are unremarkable are go h-iontach.

Insincere commentary is a blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Charlo30

Its by and large head and shoulders above RTE's commentary. The problem is a lot people don't understand it. I think they would get larger viewing figures if they offered an English language option

I disagree completely on Marty

He should not be calling the games, indeed talking nonsense to fools who will engage with him on the street is perfect for him, and I can choose not to watch it.

I have barely a word of Irish, but the Tg4 commentary still add more and makes more sense to Marty, who just rhymes off whatever club every player is from and calls it commentary.... 'great spirit'

A supposed selling point to the GAAGO was the ability to warch exclusive live coverage of the 4 preliminary q finals

Good luck watching the games, starting at 4,5 and is it 615pm on Saturday. You'll have to change over before the end of the games, just when (hopefully) they are getting interesting.

Some scheduling.....the only surprise is that RTE haven't moved them more tacoid the massive URC final!

Glad I didn't pay the GAAGO sub for that BS scheduling, the Dodgy Box better work 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Can you buy a one-off GAA Game in the UK? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

This Cork v Dublin is a hard watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The main commentators voice on TG4 is terrible, I get a headache listening to him.

Advertisement