Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to randomise names on polling papers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Ah! Go away with you. I understand PR, I am being ironic with you. But attack suggestions with no real reply if you like.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Makes sense. The order affected my preferences I overlooked the Labour candidate on the EU ticket and gave them tenth preference instead of third or fourth. After picking a few I just enumerated them in order from the top, excluding the far right candidates.

Mentioned this to my wife and she had done the same in both cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As ballot papers are anonymous, could they be made available to academic researchers?

E.g. to search for possible hidden patterns? Say, the effects of alphabetisation or an exceedingly long ballot paper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is one advantages of electronic counting.

In fact, the cost of the software development could be defrayed by offering anonymised data in exchange for the software to the political departments in the universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So the cost would be picked up by another arm of the State?

• Advertisement

Are the truly anonymous though? Could you come up with a system of choosing a particular sequence of low order preferences that would end up identifying the vote? This could enable vote selling and duress voting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If the constituency was small enough, maybe? But they'd need to know a lot about me too be able to link my political leanings to my ballot paper.

The risk isn't that they'd need to know you. The risk is that they pay you to vote in a particular way, with an unusual pattern of low order preferences for candidates that allows them to uniquely identify your vote. This allows you to confirm that you voted as per instructions, and collect your payment for doing so.

It's a bit of a stretch, and it's hard to create a fraud involving significant numbers of votes, but it would open up that possibility.

who would bribe you? the university researchers?

i'm not talking about making all the ballot papers available as a publically downloadable dataset FWIW.

Once data is collected and shared, it's very hard to stop it getting into the hands of interested parties.

It's the same rationale as disallowing any vote with any written mark or scribble or doodle on the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

This FG candidate who withdrew got 105 first preferences...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What does happen with the papers after the count? Are they retained forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If you're viewing on the mobile site you don't see post counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

They are kept for, I think it is six months, just in case there are any challenges in the courts. Then they are destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

It might not be lots and lots plucking their entire preference out of the air after getting the ballot. But I suspect many people are like me and have a solid 1,2,3 and then decide on the rest when they're voting.

Yes exactly as I am !

Maybe @extra-ordinary_ you could include the post in your reply ?

Anything I have read says that Irish voters are pretty intelligent and well versed politically unlike voters elsewhere .

Of course there would always be the odd few eejits in every population ...but not lots

Yes .

I agree .So many on the ballot paper it's impossible to know about every candidate .

But most people would know their top choices and the order 1 ,2 , 3 going in and maybe their least favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Seen this in reply to gavreilly on twitter

"From one of your pics. After this voter got to no7 they just gave remaining prefs from top to bottom of ballot. Assuming there are many more similar instances. Does Cuffe / Boylan position near the top give them a slight advantage over AOR at this late stage of count?"

https://twitter.com/MichaelConway01/status/1800589950980944361

• Advertisement

So I think we should consider seven 2 seater cons. for the euros.

The 3 big ones are too big.

2 options for this method: -

1. FPTP in round one in each con to select 7 MEPs
    2. The second 7 MEPs selected based on their party's performance proportionally, but each party can only take a seat in the second round if they have not yet reach their proportion of the seats based on the over all vote (e.g. FF have 20% of the vote are only entitled to 3 seats, if they already have 3 seats they would not be counted in the second round)
    3. Those in the second round would be elected on the best vote for that party based on the number of votes e.g. Con 1 SF has 3000 votes but in con2 it has 2500 votes, SF gets elected in CON 1)
    4. The vote begins with the party still in the second round with the highest proportion of votes.

The other option is really just to do way with FPTP round and to divide on a proportion bases and as you get to their proportion they are excluded e.g. 3 seats in the case of FF that party is excluded once their top vote getters are voted in, and you move to the next party FG, and then to SF, independents and so on. The best vote they have gets the seat in which ever con. as cons are filled a con is excluded from the count.

the second option avoids the situation where one party might get 7 seats with FTPT in the first round.

However in both options you may have a CON where the person with the lowest vote gets elected because their party had a 5% proportion of the vote but it is the only con to vote them into.

The voter votes only for one person with an X beside their name.

Anyway I am sure I am not explaining that correctly just a thought.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You can't have FPTP for European elections, there has to be proprotionality. And 2 seaters are not going to be proportional.

What issue are you trying to fix here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes even the English had to use PR for their European elections when they were in the EU.

The large constituencies is a problem IMO.

This is why I have laid out the cons differently that straight forward PR.

Take the last Euro elections for example both FG and FF gained an extra seat, while some parties were under represented.

In round 1 of vote the parties get the same as they did in the current euros, for simplicity I have choose the top 7 vote getter to represent the new cons.

This would mean in Round 1: FF and FG would both get 3 seats and Independents would get 1

As both FF and FG have reached the portion of votes they would not continue in the next round, while indos still have a second seat to get.

In round 2 the independent candidate with the most votes takes their seat (e.g. the new dublin south con has independent on 3000 votes while no other indo in any other con meets that number), independents are now excluded along with the filed con. SF would be entitled to 2 seats and that SF seats would be filled by the SF candidates with the most number of votes. SF are now excluded as are the 2 cons that they sit in,

and then on to > GP 1, II 1, AON 1 and 14c 1. (Potential you'd have to have a quote to avoid a scenario where a candidate with only 400 votes is elected).

The reason: a smaller constituency, allowing people to feel like they have an MEP that represents them, while retaining some bit of PR where PR can't work in a 2 seat con.

Or you could do regional list system.

This is similar to wales but they use a closed list system, and the list is used by region rather then con.

Just an idea, I might be completely and utterly stupid. But I am just putting it out there. Sorry for being stupid. Though happy to take real constructive criticism.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's not my point. They had to use PR for those elections. It's EU law.

I am not actually getting rid of proportionality, France doesn't use our system though it is PR.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do realise that in referendums, when you would expect things to be super clear, that an estimated 1-2% of people vote the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps they could divide up the sheet into three categories and group the candidates into their groups.

1. Headbangers
    2. Arseholes
    3. Other

It would make it easy for the voters who only want to vote for either category 1 or 2 too

• Advertisement
Advertisement