Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

May as well say it again, but the reverse does not apply. Israel is not really "aligned" with Ukraine at all.

They are neutral, far closer to neutral than Ireland in fact. They have taken a number of actions since Feb 2022 that could be said to assist Russia.

e.g. they spurned a US request of them for old US supplied "Hawk" air defence systems they have stockpiled there to be sent back so they can go to Ukraine.

Israel have not applied any economic sanctions on Russia as far as I know. Israel have rejected attempts by Ukraine to obtain their weapons.

On latter, I presume the money would be no problem here as EU/US would open the cheque book and pay for it. It's probably fear of enraging Putin, what he might do to even further assist Iran, and what he might get up to in Syria that is the problem for Israel.

Netanyahu and the Israeli govt. could not give a hoot if Ukraine burns IMO, they certainly won't risk anything to support it. They probably think it is unfairly drawing US support and attention they deserve instead!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

• Registered Users Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, this didn't start October 7th. It sure as hell escalated, but it didn't start.

When did it start, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Advertisement

One hostage reported sexual abuse in captivity. While awful, that is not the same as mass rape on Oct 7 of which there appears to be no evidence.

40 babies beheaded was a complete fabrication. Anyway, seems like the support for genocide is still strong on this thread.

Stuff like this from our national broadcasters is appalling.

We see the faces of four hostages.

The Israeli's had 1,200 hostages before the October 7 assault. They have thousands hostage now and a torture prison.

We see none of the faces of these hostages. No family photos. Not exactly unbiased reporting.

I firmly believe Israel will be judged by history for what they're doing to the Palestinians and I'm disappointed in the countries still supporting their apartheid state… but… Hamas fighters, already not the most professional and orderly bunch, acting with restraint against a group they've been taught to dehumanise for years doesn't make sense to me.

If there's no evidence of sexual violence on the day I'd sooner believe it was for lack of time than inclination.

I get that it looks like a lot of the horror stories from last 7 Oct were entirely fabricated, but at what stage is it less outing the Israeli lies and more defending Hamas? Not suggesting that's what you're doing, but this whole conflict will have to de-escalate somewhat before anyone can start to piece together the real story from the outside rather than right in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There is evidence of rape and sexual assault on October 7, you can click on the first article linked in the post above to see details. Israel made a mistake by not collecting physical evidence in their rush to identify and bury the bodies, but I guess they never thought that rape denial would become such a big thing.

Anyway, I'm glad that some hostages were freed and that noa argamani has been reunited with her terminally ill mother

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭REDBULL68

Great to see the hostages released, but apart from the unreal massacre of civilians and I'm sure fighters to do it ,they look great, even have pure white teeth ,and have no weight loss ,

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“One of the most heroic and extraordinary operations I have witnessed over the course of 47 years serving in Israel’s defense establishment.” - Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant

4 Hostages rescued and 200 Palestinians slaughtered.

If this is the most heroic thing the IDF has done in 47 years it is a damning admission of moral failure.

https://wapo.st/3ViDxzQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I guess they go in and just shoot everyone who isn't who they're looking for.

Hmmmm.... Hamas thought to dehumanise? The Israeli's are the ones that have been dehumanising, implementing an apartheid state, imprisonment without trial, torture camps, etc.

The claim was mass rape and there is no evidence of mass rape.

There's a good breakdown here of the story

https://x.com/zei_squirrel/status/1799119035491295443

I guess the pro genociders don't care. Israelis should be allowed murder as many Palestinians as they want in the eyes of pro genociders

Post edited by engineerws on

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Even the Vietnamese news covering Israel's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

"If there's no evidence of sexual violence on the day I'd sooner believe it was for lack of time than inclination."

Maybe you might take time yourself to research where you choose how long the attacks at the Nova Festival and in the various kibbutzim lasted. In the latter cases it was many hours, from 7am to midday and later. Nova was fewer hours but still quite a few. And maybe consider the difference between the time involved in consenting individuals making love and a hate motivated rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

No, you are correct, that the hostages did not look too significantly thinner. One rescued hostage is quoted as saying they were held with a fairly middle class family. Obviously a Hamas stronghold, no shortage of food or supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Supported by the Biden Whitehouse with weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Woh i have a stalker i see. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Just exposing blatant hypocrisy

You admitted to vote for same strain of extreme right wing nationalism which has hijacked Israeli policies and led to so much misery

Must be jarring

Maybe you might take time yourself to research where you choose how long the attacks at the Nova Festival and in the various kibbutzim lasted. In the latter cases it was many hours, from 7am to midday and later. Nova was fewer hours but still quite a few. And maybe consider the difference between the time involved in consenting individuals making love and a hate motivated rape.

I'll restate:

I think it's accepted that compared to a regular military force, Hamas are a disorganised rabble. That in itself would lead me to believe there could have been widescale sexual violence. But even where the raid took several hours, it's not like large numbers of troops were enjoying a good loot and pillage while other forces were holding a front line - think the fall of Berlin or the sacking of Rome. The entire force was conducting a raid into Israeli territory and from reports seem to have been ferrying away hostages and roaming from place to place trying to hunt down their victims. That all takes time and they knew there would be a large and forceful response once the Israelis had time to react. That, I think, is the only factor that would limit sexual violence, because it sure as hell wasn't restraint.

Naturally, the Israeli government and IDF are going to lie and their spokesmen can't be trusted. Neither can Hamas. So really the only decent picture we'll get of what actually happened is going to be when this has all been de-escalated and there can be a more level-headed examination of the facts removed from the propaganda that's being thrown back and forth right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

200 Palestinians killed to rescue 4 Israelis and the depressing thing is not only is it obvious the Israelis couldn't care less about any of the dead Palestinians but you sense Hamas are delighted at the disproportion as it's another example of the value of an Israeli versus a Palestinian life.

If Hamas cared about civilians they would let these hostages go to save lives.

They don't care.

Which is not to excuse the Israelis either.

Both sides are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

105 hostages were released in November through negotiation. Since then we have a number of hostages killed and four released through the idf operation. The mass slaughter of Palestinian civilians is not going to get the hostages back, nor does it seem the intention of the israeli actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I think you are wrong in that. Clearly stated back in April even with a ceasefire or release of hostages they would be entering Rafah.

Im delighted 4 hostages have been released however I’m appalled at the bombing of shelters, 200+ lives lost. We have seen time and time again Israel can strike with accuracy but they evidently do not care at all about Palestinian civilians.
    Interesting to see Benny Gantz has quit stating there is no post war plan and the return of hostages needs precedence over political survival… clearly meaning Bibi is continuing this war to save his own skin.

https://news.sky.com/story/israeli-war-cabinet-member-benny-gantz-quits-over-lack-of-post-war-gaza-plan-13150293

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-will-enter-rafah-with-or-without-gaza-hostage-deal-netanyahu-says-2024-04-30

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Ilan Pape believes the very existence of Israel is under threat. Not necessarily from Hamas or Hezbollah but because of the genocide and the apartheid regime run in Israel. We are witnessing a Jewish version of Hitler and the Nazi regime. Their is a pathological hatred of Palestinians whose very land the modern state of Israel is on.

It is truly tragic that a people who were victims of a Holocaust could inflict such hell on another race of people after. I concur with Ilan Pape. I don't see how Israel goes forward from here. Gaza is in ruins. They cannot and will not defeat Hamas. They have no exit plan out of Gaza. In the north Hezbollah is wreaking havoc making parts uninhabitable.

Their economy has to be taking a monumental hit. The U.S is their only ally and even there young people are horrified at Israel's actions against the Palestinian people which could feed into the Presidential election outcome.

I can see that Israel felt compelled to retaliate for the October 7 attacks but their response has been so disproportionate that they have lost any sympathy and are now a pariah state around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Definitely trouble brewing for the war cabinet

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think only a change initiated by domestic politics in Israel will change things. Even though Blinken is off to the Middle East it doesnt seem American support will disappear anytime soon and the ceasefire effort seems to have totally stalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This was a heavy gunfight between Hamas members and the IDF in a densely populated area. Do you think that the Hamas bullets miraculously didn't kill any Palestinians and all these deaths are solely down to Israel?

Trump isn't president. Biden is the guy in power.

Must be jarring.

Advertisement