Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jimmychoo9

Alea

Already said it's an extreme example 3 times and for the 4th time it's an extreme example and also realistically could happen as I've said before there is nothing policy wise to stop it happening.

6 months ago I would have said toddlers getting stabbed outside a school would be an extreme example of the downside of a poor asylum policy but here we are.

Statically been killed in a car crash is an extreme outcome of not wearing a seat belt but again not fantasy stuff.

Now again for the 4th time can we address my point that setting a realistic number of houses to be built in order to get us out of this housing mess is impossible unless we know the basics like a ballpark figure of houses to be built and you can't do that unless you have a limit on the people needing a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

What is a realistic target when we could have a million homeless people next year? I guess a million has to be the target, although not very realistic.

As.for having a limit on the people who need a house, going by yesterday's election I don't think there's much support in the country for leaving the EU so that kinda kills that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

well then, you can point out any post I made that was off topic, not replying to any other post I presume.......

Or perhaps the electorate can decide for themselves who they do or do not wish to vote for. It's patronising to presume you know better then t h e electorate. People are not stupid, and most make their minds up based on their own values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Is it inconceivable that the parties or candidates that you might have liked people to vote for simply did not present good, compelling arguments as to the solid alternative they offered?

I'm certainly no believer that what is popular is always right, but ultimately maybe the people didn't "fall" for anything — maybe it's just that your arguments aren't that good and need to be improved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"from what we've seen in this thread, some people here would rather sit there and tell Karim from Algeria that if he's Muslim he's a savage"

To be honest, I can't say I've seen much of that on this thread. There was one guy who was banned who seemed to resent all foreigners, even those from other EU countries, but there seem to be far more people like myself who have a major concern about the potentially huge flow of single men and how it's going pan out if it's not dealt with appropriately.

My second concern, and again I think many reasonable people share it, is that Europe is now a multi-cultural place and Ireland is very much so, with around 25% of our population identifying as something other than Irish. Europe as a whole and Ireland as a sovereign state have to decide how we are going to manage our changing demographic and what controls we will put in place on all kinds of immigration and awarding of citizenship. Otherwise, it is entirely possible that fifty years from now Ireland will no longer be Ireland - and that makes me sad. Are we seeing the last days of what makes us uniquely Irish? And I don't just mean hurling.

"Brightness was drenching through the branches
    When she wandered again,
    Turning the silver out of dark grasses
    Where the skylark had lain,
    And her voice coming softly over the meadow
    Was the mist becoming rain."

(Austin Clarke)

Who but an Irishman could write so beautifully about a cow, of all things ……..

And yet, now we see so many people speak derisively, with contempt for Irish culture, reducing it to 'trad music, meat and two veg, GAA'. I think, yes, sad is the word that sums up how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

I think some people are stupid. They will vote for a politician that gets a pothole fixed in front of their house , despite the fact he might be supporting policies that will possibly sink the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Ah those were simpler times...

Soon enough you won't be able to see a cow to write an oul poem about, for the hordes of foreigners swarming the countryside.

What I wouldn't give to be back in the 1930s.

Sure enough we had crippling poverty, childhood mortality, mass emigration, slums, unemployment, institutional abuse, misery, misfortune, consumption...

But there wasn't a foreigner to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

Irish people are very easy going. They support who they know. They are loyal. They are very friendly and love to chat. They are known the world over for this. It would take most Irish people a lifetime to change who they would vote for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

and this is why the same government will more than likely voted in next year. The term “well it doesn’t affect me so why would I care” is suited to so many Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/06/09/record-immigration-britain-failed-raise-living-standards/

This is the path this country is on. We're mortgaging our financial future to take in large numbers of third world migrants, many of whom will be a significant burden on the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭briangriffin

Just about sums up the virtuos illiberal far left. It's why as a country a conversation must be had. Blind has made a perfectly cogent argument but instead of making any salient point his argument is rubbished as racist. Mass immigration will lead to greater division, when Irish people see their sons and daughters emigrating because they can't afford to move out of the family home, because their aren't any houses to buy or they can't get planning permission to build or can't afford to build. When people arrive and are given state accomadation a medical card and social welfare, when they receive benefits that their sons and daughters don't receive. When we pay nearly 10 million to look after ukranian pets but cut the primary level book scheme by the same amount. The irish people are not idiots or xenophobes they just want fairness, fairness for our sons and daughters. Fairness for the people paying tax all their lives and for what.

When a demographic shift moves to 25% foreign born from 3% in less than a generation. That is going to lead to issues with integration. Matt cooper on paths to power discussed this with Ivan yeats, ivan discussed how on his walk on the slaney voices he hears now are gone from 10% foreign to about 80%. Matt acknowledged the same on his bus journey but said isnt it great its like being in london. That was the discussion shut down, all immigration is just fantastic. The left is virtuous they assume everyone coming here are as virtuous as they are that they all have the same values, there are people coming here who don't have our western values who have very different views on women in our society, very different views on family , who don't value our history our customs our traditions, who don't want to integrate into Irish society in any sort of a meaningful way. Of course the opposite is also true their are people who come here who contribute and integrate fully and are proud to be part of our country. We can't discuss the former though that's racist. The left are virtuous the former don't exist.

"But there wasn't a foreigner to be seen."

That's certainly not true. I'm not sure just how ignorant you are of our social history or whether you're just being sarcastic. We've always had foreigners in Ireland who made a great contribution to our culture. Ireland has long been a mixture of insular and simultaneously outward looking. Our history curriculum in Irish schools should really include in depth social history and definitely a module for each region of the country because they all differ somewhat. Most people know the political history, but not the social history as you've just demonstrated.

"they assume everyone coming here are as virtuous as they are"

The naivety is worrying. At the moment on the Polish border with Belarus there is a serious situation with large numbers of young migrant males trying to force their way across the border.

Attacks on the border guard by guys breaking through the fencing have increased recently. Just a few days ago a soldier was murdered by one of them, stabbed though the fence. Another Polish officer was attacked on the Belarus border while attempting to stop migrants from crossing left with a fractured skull and damaged eye socket, which could result in the loss of an eye.

These guys mean business. They are determined to get into Europe and willing to kill to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

It’s a mystery to me why the border with Russia and their puppets is still open and anything goes either way

Mine the whole length and put up big walls

Yesterday's results were a disappointment, so you've decided to ratchet up the fear-mongering?

Sketchy details of some incidents in Poland have turned into... 'THEY'RE COMING TO MURDER US'

Regardless of the fact the situation at the Polish border is being manipulated by Putin and his cronies, deliberately to spread division led by anti-immigration sentiment.

Funny you don't mention this?

"Sketchy details of some incidents in Poland"

It's not 'some incident'. If you want the full details the soldier's name was Mateusz Sitek. He was stabbed with a knife which had been attached to a long stick/pole. It was clearly a weapon created with the intention of being used from a distance. There was deliberate intent behind the action.

"manipulated by Putin and his cronies, deliberately to spread division led by anti-immigration sentiment.Funny you don't mention this?"

I thought it's pretty much common knowledge that Putin and Lukashenko are orchestrating this - many of the migrants at the border have Russian visas and have been told that they can cross into the EU. The fact that they decide to do so by stabbing and assaulting, when prevented by the border guard, is a separate matter.

Far from being fear-mongering, it's a simple statement of fact, a fact which you find unpalatable as it doesn't fit your own particular narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

very predictable though, remember the 2011 GE when FF got only 17% of first preferences, ‘no more FF! enough is enough! ‘

oh yeah LOL … what’s that they say about people in abusive relationships?

So even though you recognise Putin and his cronies are orchestrating this, you don't think they had anything to do with the knife on a long stick attack?

Attacking a border guard with a knife on a long stick seems a strange way to seek asylum to me. Why didn't they just sneak under the fence as others crossing do?

I've shared the links several times on how people are crossing the 'hard' border in Poland, despite the 10,000 soldiers and thousands of cameras, do I need to do so again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Well done! Full marks for dragging the thread off topic by playing the old racist card. 10/10.

We all cheered when Adam Idah scored the other night didn’t we? Who cares what colour his skin is,

The thread is about ILLEGAL immigration and can unlimited numbers be housed and can the country afford the welfare bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I think the concern we're presented with here isn't so much about non-white Irish, as it is a supposed attack on our 'Irish culture'.

It seems cultural purity is the ideology embraced these days by the far-right and anti-immigration movements. Previous generations of these movements were more direct about protecting 'racial purity'.

Whether this transition is genuine or merely a guise to make their ideologies more palatable for a wider public, well your guess is as good as mine. 😉

We clearly all didn't cheer Adam Idah scoring though. The son of Nigerian man. We've all seen the comments here, let's not pretend otherwise. The same with Rhasidat adeleke who parents are Nigerian. Clearly people on this thread are worried about the future of Ireland and our culture when we let foreigners into Ireland.

Blind As A bat himself quoted the 20% figure being migrants. Those 20% aren't all here illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The immigration debate is a weird one. Everyone is anti immigration but they just disagree on where to draw the line.

Maybe some people don't realize they are anti immigration and being from the dreaded hard right must be a tough pill to swallow.

"I never felt skin colour is what made a person Irish."

Indeed. Phil Lynott was a Dub, through and through and he wasn't even born here.

I'm just not too hopeful for the survival of what's left of our culture when so many Irish people seem to despise it. I quoted an Irish poet and I'm sneered at by another poster and cast in the role of an ignorant, small-minded bogger. If I were a newly arrived Nigerian and I quoted an African poet, would I be sneered at by the same poster? I doubt it very much.

I don't think anyone has cast you in the role of an ignorant, small minded bogger for simply quoting an Irish poem.

While we are on the subject, what do you consider Irish culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I personally cheered Idah’s goal - I’m not hopeful we’ll have much to cheer v Portugal but if we do we’ll cheer regardless of skin colour or birthplace. You put on the green shirt and you’re ours.

Those in the far left and their cheerleaders want to paint everyone who wants a realistic conversation on immigration and setting a sensible asylum policy as racists - they have no real cogent argument and so can only smear and troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Advertisement

I'm not painting anyone as racist. People on this thread have shared plenty of stores about driving to their local nature area and seeing loads of migrants there, walking into their local cafe and seeing more migrants than "irish" and driving past football grounds and seeing migrants playing football as all negative things and an erosion of Irish culture. Do you accept this conversation on immigration has to include a conversation about not letting too many foreigners in? That seems a message that has repeatedly been presented in this thread.

Advertisement