Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭typhoony

Everyone is going on about prendergast double chip, if he tries that against a SA team he gets emptied and doesn't get up for a week, still not convinced on his general play as he seems a bit slow and predictable.Leinster would better served in the next year or 2 with a NIQ journeyman out-half that pinning their hopes on prendergast, neither Byrnes are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Guarantee that Ross Byrne is better than any NIQ journeyman that's available.

Unless he hits perfection, he's lambasted. And when he does have a near perfect game, it's dismissed as fortunate or quickly forgotten. The reality is that he is largely an exceptionally reliable out-half albeit with the odd mistake or poor decision here or there.

I'm not saying he's the best out-half on the planet by a long shot, but he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't recall it that often that Larmour gets frequently gets isolated and turned over so although he can jink sideways at times, there's probably a benefit in that, that he's sometimes moving more towards an area where he has support and he's not getting turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TheRona

I was at the match yesterday with my family, and would have happily left at halftime due to the rugby being very flat, and having to repeatedly stand up to let people get in and out for their pints.

Thankfully things picked up in the second half, but I'd still be concerned about Leinster's attacking play. It all seems very telegraphed, and very little variety.

Yesterday was my first time seeing Prendergast in the flesh, and one thing that stuck out to me is he has a very ungainly way of running. It almost looks like he's running on his heels or something. Very strange.

Despite an easy enough win, they'd definitely be looking to take it up a couple of notches next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TheRona

I think the biggest problem is that he's on the borderline of shepherding, as he often runs behind other players to cut in. It also slows down the play a lot. Sometimes you're better to just take the tackle and recycle quickly, or maybe just pass it? It seems like when he's in that cut back mode, he gets a bit blinkered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭typhoony

Goosen was excellent yesterday, plenty of journeymen out there better than Ross Byrne. Not saying they are all available but Leinster have to be open too looking for one which I don't think they are which is a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think the reason that he wasn't emptied though is because his general play isn't slow and predictable. He has more variety to his game then any of our other players at 10.

There's zero chance of Leinster signing a journeyman 10 over a promising young 10, because tbh its just a terrible idea. As others have pointed out Ross is better then any of the bog standard journey men out there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People say these kind of things like he hasn't played against SA team before. Also that would be a penalty and probably yellow card so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Watched a replay of yesterday's game. Thought Doris was exceptional and should have been named motm.

He's carrying strongly, but the big point of difference in his game is his work at the breakdown. He's constantly cheating and acting the maggot at every opportunity. He's killing ball and getting away with it. Reading the referee excellently.

At this stage he's the obvious replacement for POM as Ireland captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It was class to watch but it was a mistake. He kicked to regather, which he didn't achieve so he took a chance on kicking again and it went to a leinster player's hand.

He did it, fair play for that, but it was very lucky. It was more an example of trying something and trying something else when the first plan didn't work out - you make your own luck. And it was great fun to watch, but let's not pretend it was part of a genius plan.

• Advertisement

Yeah, calling his play predictable is one of the weirdest (and most incorrect) criticisms of him I've seen. He varies play up quite nicely and his option taking is generally excellent.

He looks more ungainly than he is cause he's a lanky chap.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Goosen is an immensely frustrating 10. Ask Bulls fans. He's the anti Ross Byrne in many ways, wildly inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

That could be said for half of Bods most famous clips along with the lions training one. At the end of the day there will be players who can pull a bit of magic out of their sleeve and ones who can't. If Prendergast is, then I'd be happy for him to keep doing what hes doing. As you say, you make your luck

Yeah I think that's fair. And whilst I would say that sometimes it's wise to come inside for support, you're right that there are definitely times where he's either running behind players or times when he should have taken the defence straight on and kept the frenetic pace of the phase alive.

That said, he's really improved this season when he seemed in the wilderness last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

It was adapting on the fly with an excellent bit of skill. Obviously the goal from the original kick (which was still a good option I'll add) wasn't to do this, but to have the confidence to make the decision to do that and then pull it off quite adeptly is what is so impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Aside from the risk of conceding a cheap penalty for running behind his own players it's his inability / unwillingness to pop a pass to a straight runner when the defense honeypot him.

Part of his unpredictability is that his own team don't read his runs and time their run to accept a pop pass into the gap he's creating. All feet, no head. Great to watch 'though.

Yeah sure. If Prendergast ends up with lots of these seat-of-his-pants moves which work, then it's a touch of magic. Given its a sample set of 1, I'll focus on the bread and butter work.

I love that he tried the chip to regather and I love that he was able to switch to doing another kick through when he realised hecouldnt regather. Where I live they say 'shy bairns get nowt'. I love that he acted without hesitation.

I think we should probably be more impressed if he executed the chip and regather as he intended in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Without Keenan fb looks iffy. O'Brien struggled yesterday. I think if Ulster were at full strenght, we could have been turned over. Very happy to have got the win. Losing both matches in the league was a downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Have to say it is bad form by Hugo Keenan to go off playing 7s during the URC playoffs and missing the Irish test matches in South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He wanted to play 7s, mad to stop him if he really wants to be an olympian and has a past playing 7s and is trying to make olympics squad. If he wanted to be eligible to play in the olympics he had to play a specified amount of qualifying tournaments which clashed with the urc run in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Did Furlong pick up an Injury?

Disagree. Whatever keeps him passionate, training hard and developing his skills. We're talking about him missing 4 urc games (assuming they reach the final) and 2 ireland games. He could miss far more with an injury.

Jimmy getting a run of games at fullback is decent development too. It's grand.

There was no real stopping him anyway. It was an irfu initiative to allow one player from each province play 7s. It's all planned for

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Really wants to!? Its supposed to be an elite professional set-up. Maybe next year Joe McCarthy 'really wants' to go on dancing with the stars - no problem Joe, just come back in the Autumn. Real amateur era nonsense from Keenan.

The 7s is and he's a former 7s international and is far from the first 15s player who's went and played 7s in an attempt to win an Olympic medal. Don't see how this can be criticised. Olympic medals and opportunities to win them in anything shouldn't be dismissed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Wasn’t it from Nucifora that the sevens could call on one player from each of the provinces? Keenan was the obvious Leinster option (with JOB an alternative) as was Smith from Connacht. Is Baloucoune injured? Not sure who Munster supplied.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does Aaron Sexton count as an Ulster player and is he likely to make the Olympics?

Not likely to make olympics. Think he was primarily playing AIL all season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Keenan has an irfu contract and the irfu want him to play 7s.

Advertisement