Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

just got a quote for the following

18 x 430W Trina Bifical 7.74KW

Solis 5kw Hybrid

Eddi

5.3 Weko battery

€9300 after grant or €7400 with no battery

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Michael1927

what do people think of this quote ? is this good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Hi all,

Got my first quote and was happy enough with it - planned to get more but after a few days they rang me to let me know they think the roof tiles are too small to fix the panels to.

I'm in a 1950's ex-Corporation terraced house.

I'll take a look through the thread to see if this has been discussed before but any advice on what options there are would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

Never accept the your roof is to small off a company unless they all say it. I was told they couldn't fit 8 panels by the first company when getting my quotes a couple of years ago. I now have 16 panels in 3 orientations by another company who installed mine. Use the quote calculator I posted above to see if the quotes are in the ballpark.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭deezell

That's an odd statement. Panels are attached to rails, which in turn are affixed to flat metal hooks which are attached to the roof timbers, running flat between overlapping roof tiles and then up at 90° to form the mounting point for the rails. There's enough flexibility in the spread of the rails under a run of panels to accommodate the hook positions over a variable number of tiles. Shorter or narrower tiles from the 50s shouldn't present a problem, you just skip more of them between hooks, and the hooks can provide a variable distance from the edge of the top over lapping tile.

See this image of an old roof from an installers advertisement. Two sets of rails, 3 tiles and 4 tiles apart, the upper for horizontal mount panels and the lower wider spaced for vertical. The hooks are affixed to the rafter between slating laths with flexibility in the protrusion as can be seen, to adjust the rail horizontal position, and panel mounts also are movable on the panels.

Ask him for a more precise explanation. It sound's a bit like a statement from my Father's younger days in the 40's, when a Carter wouldn't deliver to the farm because "The gate's too wide for the bogey, sir".

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Hi all,

I know this is the solar domestic thread but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at installing solar using the 60% tams3 grant. My quotes all appear significantly higher than domestic ones and I don't see why when, as far as I can tell, the systems are the same and install is pretty easy on a gently sloping shed roof with steel construction. Example below comes in at €18451.70 incl VAT. DAFM reckons that system should cost 13400 so they will pay 60% of 13400 leaving me to pay €10411 after the grant. I am also expected to install safety cages under shed skylights before they will install the system. Is this madness or is it that much more expensive to install according to the regulations that come with DAFM grants?

Supply & Install PV Solar Systems
    14 x JA Solar 440W panel
    5KTL Huawei Hybrid inverter
    5kWh Huawei Luna battery
    Fireman switch as per regulation
    AC & DC cabling and isolators
    Full label kit to identify all components
    Notification to ESB Networks by NC7 form
    All performance testing and commissioning of PV System
    All work carried out professionally in full compliant with TAMS & Safe Electric guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Quoted €8,800 net for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

any reason not to got with Solis Hybrid and Weko Battery? is the charge rate good in the Weko ??

also can you set the Solis to dump back full battery to grid and then re charge again on cheap EV rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mario101

18 x 430W Trina Bifical 7.74KW

Solis 5kw Hybrid

Better items are €4460 on our website, so crazy how much the installers are adding to the price

By better I mean 550W sunpro tier 1 panels and deye v-tac 5kw hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Tier 1 has nothing to do with the quality of a panel. It refers to the financials of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mushcles

Any opinions on the below? Quoted €9,120. Grant not included as I don't qualify.

Solar Panels
    Jinco (JKM435N-54HL4R-B)
    10 x 435 Watt Panels

Inverter
    Solis
    5 kW Total Inverter Rating
    1 x S5-EH1P5K-L

Battery
    Weco
    5.3 kWh Total Battery Storage
    1 x W5K3XPLV

Thats a small enough array, can you fit more panels on your roof, or do you have extremely low yearly usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

N/A

It seems like we're limited by the space on our South facing roof, we haven't had an in person survey yet (they're basing it off Google maps) but it seems about right from the mock up. Would this deter you from going ahead? Our usage would be on the low side right now but planning to get an electric car in the future.

What's your east west facing roofs look like? South is the best but east/west facing will net good results also.

It wouldn't deter me from going ahead but as all will tell you on this board you should maximise panels on your available roof space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I'd back keno's advice there. I've a East/West split myself. Have to call out that it's not great in December and January (south is substantially better by about 50%) but for the rest of the year, I wouldn't swap. E/W in Summer actually generates more power than South!

If you have the space, fill them roofs. It's never been a better time to buy a solar installation. Extra panels = faster payback period, so if you have the room for 7-8Kwp, get it done!

Thanks, unfortunately I'm in a semi-d so I only have North and South facing roofs. When they come to do the survey I'll see if there's any more they can squeeze in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mario101

Tier 1 doesn't but 150 extra watts I'd say it does. And to be fair, with nowadays technology I don't believe there's any major difference when it comes to solar panels

Sunpro Tier1 550W Solar Panel Silver Frame that's the one I did the math with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

13 x 430w jinko panel, solis inverter, 5kw battery, optimisers, mounting equip & install & BER.

8900 after grant, (do my own paperwork)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Been a bit busy over the last week and was meant to reply to this.

TAMS costings are + VAT and as it's not a residential install (on a house) there is still VAT liable.

But as a flat rate farmer you can claim the VAT back on the solar install.

At 16k ISH + vat it's still very expensive.

Get more quotes.

Whens the closing date for this TAMS tranche?

Id put in a tams application for a way bigger system as there is no issue in "under claiming" for a smaller system but you can't get a bigger one on what your application is for.

Domestic seai grants could be an option too.

Another thing of note, they'll not be putting in a nc7 for the 5kW system (costs 1kish and the nc6 is free)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

We are back on the market for Solar PV. There was a company from NI quoting quite a few people on here a few years back with the initials of KB. Are they still on the go? I had an initial meeting with them but we had to put it off due to other stuff cropping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

To answer my own question, yes they are. House is south-east facing. Yearly consumption would be about 6,000KwH. Should I ask for a larger inverter? When should I include a battery/EDDI?

Panels

15x 430w Jinko Solar
    panels (6.4Kw)

Inverter

Solis 5kw hybrid

€5,900 after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The TAMS application went in, rushed on an estimated bill, just before the previous deadline. In the meantime two of the companies got back to me about the price and openly admitted to being expensive when installing smaller systems. I chose to go with companies that had tams advisors and experience with the DAFM and I guess I'm paying for that. And as you mention, the extra 1k for nc7, although that could be useful for future expansion.

It's just in the last week I really started feeling it was too much, even with the 60% grant. If I understand the terms correctly I could go go with any installer that would install precisely what is listed on the grant application. If I deviate from that I won't get it. And unfortunately it's a system where you pay up front and then claim the money so I'd be down the extra 60% if anything went wrong.

Unfortunately I can't oversize as the terms of the grant state that I'm limited based on the past 12 months usage. I applied for the biggest system that I could get approval on. They basically say the system should only generate what will be used on the farm, and should not be intended as an investment to sell back to the grid. It's a silly regulation really as there will be a tiny array on a large south facing shed roof. I do plan to add to it over the years as money becomes available.

Verbally they told me it is a 6.16kw system, and that's what the panels add up to. I don't know why the quote lists a 5kw inverter, surely that could be 6.

I'll say one thing. I won't rush a quote and application to meet a deadline again. They had me convinced there may not be a new tranche or that the percentage grant might drop.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for any further input.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Been round the TAMS route many times for other stuff. I know where your coming from trying to get in tranch dates and then wait for approval etc.

I looked at it and done some rough numbers, and worked with a local solar installer and actually went the seai route. (And if the yard isn't connected to the house there is a business seai grant now too)

The inverter size is really limited by what NC form that is put in to the esb.

The nc6 limit is 25 amps but in reality it's a 5kW inverter, under an inform and fit.

The nc7 has higher limit but does have a cost and some faff too to get higher export capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I was quoted 5.8k for 2.2kw, no battery. That seems incredibly high?

Advertisement