Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this valve and why is water flowing?

Options
  • 09-06-2024 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Came back from holidays and turned on the OF water heating for about 40 minutes and ran a bath for the kids.
    I noticed this valve is flowing, obviously some sort of pressure or temperature release but I have no idea beyond that and why it’s flowing.
    Pump pressure is 2 bar which is normal I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

large pipe at the front is the feed from the pump.

The water coming out is hot but not overly hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the red pressure relief valve at top of pic 2 is where its coming from, or at least it should be but tough to see.

the black thing is called a tundish

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yes, that’s what I thought, thanks.
    Not sure why it would be flowing though, pump is set at 2 bar and the flow stops when I isolate the pump.
    Stuck valve?

there seems to be a second PRV behind the grey valve on the cold feed so this could be stuck open.

Turn off the cold feed leaver valve and turn the red cap clockwise until it clicks and reseats, same with the top one, then reopen the cold water lever valve

• Advertisement

Yep! One of those did the trick!!

Lifesaver, I’ll buy you a pint if you’re passing Naas!

Will be at the circle K North on Wed at 2pm

No worries, however you need to figure out which one was triggered, the grey one is the pressure reduction valve which is preset at either 2 or 3 bar, depends.

If this had a day off it would actually trigger both red PRVs, the top one is for the hot water but will open if the cold water intake pressure is too high.

The grey one is downstream of the pump so unless the pump had a day off and the grey reduction vavle has a higher preset than 3 then both red should open.

Keep an eye on the thread as the experts should be along tomorrow

Advertisement