Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

Where do you get the phone number for the “helpline” ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭id.4 fan

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Maybe I was lucky, fixed in a week and that included delivery of a part from Germany.

There was a 6 week waiting list for service bookings at my dealer, calling ID care (or whatever it’s called) skipped that.

I think you got lucky. My experience with VW is 4 week wait time for a diagnostics and then another 4 week wait time for repair at least.

If you ring VW assist and they agree that the car needs to be brought in on a pickup you’ll be 1st on the cancellation list, that is if any cancellations arise.

Fix times for me have been ridiculously slow.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

No. Mostly on 7kw or 11kw chargers

Very strange then the both of ye are experiencing the same issue!! Friend of mine had battery module issues that also triggered the drive motor fault you speak of but it was put down to constant fast charging every day.

Kind of crazy they let you drive the car out of the garage after telling you the car could potential go up in smoke.

I presume you’ll need a new battery module?

On the upside I was chatting to guy I know who just hit 260000kms on his ID.4 and it’s still going strong. No battery, drive motor, suspension, breaks issues yet but he is experiencing 40% battery degradation.

He is now getting around 330kms max on a full charge but is using Michelin Defender tyres which he thinks isn’t doing him any favors.

Great to know the ID.4 can last 260k all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I get the feeling that VW garages in Ireland are pretty notorious, at least around Dublin. Every VW owner I've spoken to is generally having to wait for weeks for an appointment and then weeks for parts

I'm glad I haven't had many issues because I'd probably lose my mind dealing with them

The warranty is out on mine now, so it'll be nothing but a basic service from VW from now on. Anything needs fixing, I'll check an independent garage first

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I think that’ll be the general view of all ID owners once the warranty runs out. Saying that even the back street mechanics are out the door at the moment and a lot currently know little or nothing about the ID.4

Post edited by id.4 fan on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

there’s a reason I use and recommend VW in Wicklow. Only 30 minutes from South Dublin but weeks Faster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Must be a Dublin thing. I’ve been dealing with Western motors in Galway for years and waiting more than a week or so would be unusual in my experience. I’d recommend them to anyone in the West.
    However, I’ve also had that annoyance where car goes in for “diagnosis” first and then you need to go back a 2nd time for the parts required - it’s frustrating when it seems the solution to the problem is obvious in the first place but I think the dealers have to play by the VW rules on this stuff. VW won’t pay out on the warranty claim if they don’t tick the boxes.

I’d be disappointed if / when everything moves to an agency model. Personal relationships with a dealer matter a lot imo, I’d hate to have an ongoing problem with a car and be ringing some 1800 number trying to get help over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 6.5x55 seller ammo

FYI for those in the waiting room so to speak. Huge delivery of ID.4s this past week into Ireland. If you ordered before end-April, you should be expecting a call from the dealer first or second week in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He was getting 550km on a full charge at one point?

Yes, favourable conditions prevailing of course.

The Dublin dealerships are definitely bad. As I've said before, they've a lot of guys in suits with BS titles like "service manager" or "senior sales manager" but don't seem to have enough people doing actual work

Western Motors do seem to have a good reputation, I'd be tempted to talk to them the next time I've an issue

I get they don't want to keep parts in stock because it's money tied up, but this practice of needing to order everything from Germany is ridiculous. I asked the guys and they said typically they order from the UK and it takes a day or two, but if they have to go to Germany it takes several weeks

It seems the UK doesn't have any parts because I've always been waiting weeks for parts. It really bugs me the way they refuse to use OEM parts as well. Again, I understand not wanting to swap a motor for a non VW one, but I was waiting 2 weeks for a door seal when you could get some generic sealing strip from an online shop in a few days

I'm actually looking forward to the agency model because I have no interest in the sale side. I'm hoping with a vastly decreased focus on sales then dealerships will be forced to focus on their service side to stay relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Slight misunderstanding here. They check the issue with the car and if it's not dangerous they let you take it back until they can book you a slot to fix the issue. Correct…. new battery module needed for the wifes car.

They collected my car on Friday, no update yet. Car went to Joe Duffy in Navan.

Even still, that's an average consumption of 13.5kwh/100km approx. He must never have taken it over 50km/h and only drove it in the summer.

For some context, recently in France I was getting around 13kWh/100km on some of the 80 roads in warm weather of around 19-20C

So it's definitely possible in the right conditions and you don't need to be pottering around town all day

• Advertisement

Possible but exceptional in the Irish context. I don't think it's accurate to say you have 40% degredation though if you are comparing the best summer range with Irish winter or spring range. One would at a minimum need to be comparing ranges at the same driving efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Highly unlikely that an ID4 would have degraded by 40%, I'd say he's badly mistaken. Here are Bjorn's degradation estimates for various cars, ID4 not done yet but surely not going to be worse than an old Leaf or Kia Soul.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit?gid=244400016#gid=244400016

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres no way anyone was getting 550kms from a charge over long term...

In certain situations, yes, in Ireland doing 80k kms a year or thereabouts, no

That id4 doesn't have anywhere near 40% degradation at all, I can't make the sums work on that

Depending on the conditions I suspect the real degradation is around 20%. Hardly catastrophic for such a high miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

No, not really. 260k KMs is pretty niche mileage even most ICE at that age are rendered worthless and many are end of life, there are exceptions of course but very few want anything with that much on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

question for anyone with the facelift model who had the older model.. is the two slots in front of the cup holders in the center console the same? i have a sunglasses holder that i got from etsy that's 3d printed and curious if it will fit in the facelift.. it slots down into those slots.

The guy who owns the ID.4 lives in the states, warm weather most of the year with short winters

Fact:

Range up to 550kms new.

Range up to 330km 260k kms later.

I suspect the range is less than 330kms in winter time.

There are many variables that effect range but he’s telling me that’s what he’s getting now and no he doesn’t drive the nuts out of the car either.

Problem is in the real world there’s not many people out there with evs close to 300k kms on the clock to compare these figures with.

The math cannot be 100% correct, there’s too many variables.

Personally, living in Ireland I’d be hoping for around 30% battery degradation at 260k kms but 40% wouldn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: the last few posts, modern ICE cars can easily do 260k kms and a lot more than that if reasonably well maintained. That's only 160k miles - hardly end of life or worthless.

If an ID4 were to degrade by 20-30% after that mileage I'd consider that completely unacceptable. It's not as if that car (or any current EV) has a huge amount of range headroom to absorb that reduction without noticing.

New ID4s are far too expensive to buy for putterin about in. The main advantage of an EV is the saving on fuel costs but you're not saving much unless you are doing plenty of miles. If the car is going to degrade heavily and be considerably less useful after doing that, what's the point.

I do notice a lot of EV owners online celebrating small battery degradation, then you see that the mileage they've driven is also tiny . And they're going to trade in for a new EV after a couple of years anyway facilitated by PCP, because they like nice shiny things or are chasing the latest "battery chemistry". Extremely wasteful practice. iPhone mentality on steroids.

There’s a reason VW only guarantee 70% battery usage after 160k kms.

In my experience a car approaching 300k kms or more will not be able for continuous high mileage unless your willing to pump money into it.

Maybe it’ll serve as a school runner or for pottering around the town or the odd long run but not continuous driving.

I bought a new diesel Toyota Avensis before and sold it for 5k with 515k kms on the clock. She was still fit for driving but I knew I couldn’t push her any more.

Over its life I spent around 10k on repairs and that’s not including servicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yes it looks the exact same.

Edit: actually, thought you were talking about the cup holders. I know the slots you mean and I can't remember if they're the same and am away at minute.

Advertisement