Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

27/06/24 20 years ago would you believe

going bad ? how does one go bad ,it's a team not milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is it not as embarrassing for Longford as it is for waterford…?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good point esp after winning the pre season cup in Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Michael O Donoghue rightly got the Galway job after the Clarinbridge win and got them a long awaited all Ireland.

Why don't we do sensible things like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JD. 60

'sensible' and 'county board' don't normally appear in the same sentence.

Isn't this O'Donohue's second year in charge of Dublin ; he has delivered so, unlike Davy.

This is my last post for this season. Started out with little optimism, flattered to deceive for a while then burned and crashed.

Senior and Premier Intermediate Championship Group fixtures

No doubt almost every Waterford hurling fan on the planet would of rather been heding to Croke Park on the weekend of 19th-21st July instead 😔

outside my window this morning,an hour before the pub opened am sickened we're not there as i watch all the throngs crossing my door

A late free and 65 a big contributer for us not been in Thurles today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Dammo

Congrats to Limerick on an historic 6 in a row in Munster. Some achievement in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

Bored with the old limerick project to be honest gotten to the stage think won’t even bother watch the all Ireland for the usual result.

Starting to turn into the same situation as the Dublin Footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

His smugness is off the scale. We’re talking at peak Derek McGrath levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5948ai

53 in the Limerick backroom team. Financial doping if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biglad40isback

54 now. Currid is back on a short term deal

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biglad40isback

there is no financial doping in amateur sport. A Olympic team can have 1000 backroom staff if they desire. The 15 on the pitch are the ones who ultimately have to get it done.

I would disagree... Limerick had Anthony Daly as underage director of hurling from 2014 to 2017. A lot of Limerick's success stems from underage players during that period. What other county bar Dublin would have had the money to employ someone like Daly in an underage position!!

Limerick’s sugar daddy (McManus) has been supporting them for years before their present ‘golden era’……not sure to what extent in the past but he’s been a millionaire/ billionaire for decades….did he just suddenly decide to divert his efforts/cash into limerick hurling in 2018….?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

When Limerick made the breakthrough in 2018 I thought our own day would finally come too, there was nothing to suggest this kind of dominance was ensuing. They had come with a strong underage group 2013-2016 and bar about 3/4 years of dominance at underage it’s not exactly been a never ending conveyor belt of success. That Anthony Daly period mentioned above actually didn’t yield much in they way of underage success afterwards the backbone of this team are from The 2 classic drawn Munster minor finals in 2013 and 2014 and when Waterford and Limerick went on to with the next 3 u21 all Irelands,l between them 2015, 2016 and 2017 I thought we would be up there with Limerick challenging for all Irelands in the years that followed. Instead they went one direction as we went the other. For the simple reason they made the best of the resources they had and us quite the opposite. A shocking managerial appointment in 2019 that set us back years followed by a couple of covid years under Liam Cahill where we looked like we might do something but it’s been a whimper ever since. It’s hard not to be envious of what Limerick went on to achieve with their golden generation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

100% agree, it's very disheartening to not see us break through. Giving the age profiles, the minor and u21 success we should really be at our peak challenging Limerick now but we look a million miles off.

During the youth success with Limerick, the one team they feared (feared is probably the wrong word) was Waterford.

People talk about JPs money, to me that's a load of bull. They had a golden generation in players like we had with our Tony forrestial, minor and u21 team. The difference being Limerick kept progressing and we haven't capitalised on our group of players.

Looking at Limerick minor and u21 this year they didn't look great, there's one thing having financial backing but you need the players and that Limerick have, great players, committed players who have a hunger to win.

Brushing them off by saying "money money money" is a disservice to those players.

JPs money made them the machine they are now. They obviously had the raw material but the financial backing aided what is a fantastic team. We never had that financial backing. There's no guarantee that we would have reached anywhere near the heights of Limerick, but what if we had that backing. You just think it's not a level playing field. The dubs dominance is another example of what financial backing can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭High bike

Yes ur right of course money helps but if u haven't the talent you can throw as much money as u like at it and you'll win f all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sorry about the delayed reaction , i could have sent a written reply faster 😂

there are two reasons , with offaly , 1 most teams that have success at underage like say clare ,wexford or waterford ,usually have acore of 5 or 6 really good experienced players for the younger lads to aspire to , looking at offaly at the moment them players are not there so it will be immediately up to young lads like screaney dan bourke and charlie mitchell take up the mantle of improving offaly hurling before they finish collage

2 , while screaney reminds me of tony kelly or shane o donnell ,with no great size but can take a hit , its a big ask for a young team to all jump to senior together , as i say if you go back to 2011 or 12 when clare were relatively poor had lads like brendan bugler , colin ryan , patrick donnellan on the panel , when waterford had that young team come through in the 2016 ,they had lads like noel connors ,brick walsh and kevin moran to guide them into senior hurling , its needed in a players development in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Results like the U14 A final yesterday cant be doing much good for hurling in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Game was over after 5 minutes. That particular Ballygunner team are very strong and were even missing one of their best players last night. There are a few very good players from other clubs in that age group yoo. If they stick together, as in not be drawn away to soccer, I'd fancy Waterford for a Minor Munster championship or more in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

I heard from someone who has a child in de la salle secondary school that their under 14 team is meant to be one of the best they have ever produced with players from ballyunner, mount suon, roanmore and de la salle. Would anyone on here know if this is true or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Yes, Derek Mcgrath had this spotted before they even came in the school gates and has grabbed them for his own as he sees a Harty cup winning team in a few years. Think they won the 1st year equivalent with ease, hammering Midleton CBS in the final.

having seen some of the minor sides in the past couple of years it’s long over due that a potentially strong and competitive crop of players is emerging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Next year's minor team should be competitive. I don't mean they will be as good as the 2013 group but they are the best for some time.

Advertisement