Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Visa Required to Drive from Dublin to Letterkenny and Return?

Options
  • 07-06-2024 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,
    We are a family of five: two adults and three children. We don't have Irish passport. I have stamp 4 and my spouse has stamp 1. I also have UK visa but my family don't.

We have booked Holidays in Letterkenny Co. Donegal. Car navigation and google maps show two routes from Dublin to Letterkenny, both through Northern Ireland.

We have no intention to spend one extra minute in NI other than driving on the suggested route. Can this be an issue while going to Letterkenny or coming back to Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

YOu will be fine. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You technically should, but there is near zero risk of getting stopped.

My partner has a stamp 2 and we pop into the north regularly enough. There's no border and no checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you're worried about it, just take the N4 to Sligo and avoid NI. It's a more scenic route anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭macchoille

If you are really cautious and would prefer not to risk it you can go to Sligo first and then onto Letterkenny; you won’t go into Northern Ireland and will add 20-30 minutes to your journey at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

As above go via Sligo to avoid entry to NI

There are an increasing number of checks, yes the odds of a stop are very low but factor in the problems you may have if the UK authorities stop you and how that may impact getting a UK visa in the future for those in your group who do not hold the correct paperwork. "Have you ever been refused entry to any country…" is a classic question on a visa application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

As above, technically your family is not allowed to enter the UK, that includes Northern Ireland, but the chances of you having a problem in practice are extremely limited.

If you want to stay entirely within the Republic, take the N4 to Sligo, N15 to Stranorlar and N13 from there to Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What would be the insurance situation if such a journey had a car accident? Would it be grounds for the insurance company not to pay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Car insurance usually covers both Ireland and the UK to respect the Common Travel Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

I don't know but the road from Clones to Cavan woukd be difficult to drive on also

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I crossed over via Enniskillen this time last year and I found the roads in NI to be worse for wear when compared to the South, so the Sligo route is the best option in my opinion. Stop at Drumcliffe for Yeats' grave and Ballyshannon for the Rory Gallagher statue on the way and that's the Entertainment and Arts sightseeing done. ✅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Jacovs

If there is an alternative route (as mentioned above) which isnt that much longer, then why risk it?

Insurance wont be a problem, but if you get into a situation (accident or whatever) which requires you to contact the authorities in NI, and they ask for your/your family's details and such, then it could become a problem in future if looking to get visas for the UK.

Not worth the risk for minimal gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Aside from potentially having a car accident, which might complicate the insurance, I think you'll be ok. The local police there mostly don't even seem to know about visa requirements themselves. There is an increasing number of checks on the Republic of Ireland side but this is meant as a deterrent for asylum seekers fleeing to Ireland from the UK, and once your documents are ok for the Republic it should be fine, there are no checks by the NI authorities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It'll add about an hour to the journey. I live in the east of Sligo and Letterkenny is an hour and 50 mins away from me.

OP, we regularly go across the border to Enniskillen or to Belfast and have never ever been stopped or questioned in any way. Our car has an Irish reg. If you want to be uber-cautious then go around but I think driving through you would be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Info_Seeker

Thank you so very much everyone for your valuable responses!!

Very helpful!!

Advertisement