Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭appledrop

13 degrees and raining here in NCD, so glad I got out for my walk earlier.

At least we got to garden centre as I was putting it off on the nice days, just need to plant all the bedding plants now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Fairly heavy rain and grey grey skies.
    Feels quite cold.
    Very poor start to summer imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cold and wet here in Meath, could easily be March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Only got to 14c yesterday here despite the sun. 11c today. 16c still the max and 6c the min. IMT 5c less than last year currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Charlo30

Just back from a walk in Stephen's Green. Couldn't believe how cold it was. Felt like a Winters day

• Advertisement

Next 10 or so days not much better and even after that. July or August might redeem it but most of June a write off just a slight possibility it gets warmer at the end but still unsettled.

What is the average temp for June?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

I can't remember it being so cold in June. I never remember having to wear layers in June especially on days when the sun shines.

Even wet June's of the past didn't feel as cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

no doubt you’ll have posters saying it’s the warmest on record is it possible to ban talk of “warmest on record “ as it’s just trolling people at this stage 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

lashing all day in the north east currently 12 degrees 🥶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Whilst strictly true it was mostly due to abnormally higher night time temperatures driving up the averages.

Overall it was actually duller than average. From a "weather" point of view "warmest" means nothing unless you look at the details.

Btw, I'm not making an argument about climate which is totally different and I fully accept that climate is changing but very few of us were rushing to the beaches and applying huge amounts of sun block in May regardless of the "statistically correct" warmest May on record.

Mother of god it’s absolutely bucketing it down now.
    Really heavy shower in the Rathfarnham area right in the middle of me packing the bikes for centre parcs tomorrow 🤦‍♂️.
    Better pack the rain gear.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a little squall line stretching through north Kildare into south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Indeed ,I'm under it and it's absolutely torrential

can anyone give me a run down of what I should be expecting from the weather for the week ahead in the Longford area (dare I ask 🤦‍♂️)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

County Clare - been raining since 3pm and so chilly we've the range lit……

Weather for the week Monday to Wednesday a lot of dry weather some passing showers. Max 12 to 17c

Thursday to Saturday more general rain or showers 14c to 18c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Those that are wondering June's average temperature is 18c with the average low of 11c

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Spent the morning in Limerick and the afternoon in Galway today. Misty, cold start in Limerick and then showery in Galway in the evening. And cold, so very cold. Pretty bleak start to June.

This time last year we were in a spell of beautiful weather if I remember correctly? But I do remember in 2021 just before my little girl was born walking the dog at this time of year in a heavy jacket and we had a roaster of a summer in the end so fingers crossed!

Cold clear air has moved into Sligo now 7c currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Chilly morning, but bright. 7c. Forecast does not look particularly encouraging for later in the week. Le'ts see what backend of June brings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Maybe some of the Cork posters can correct me, put am I right in saying it hasn't rained much or at all for a good few weeks now? Thought of watering plants last Thursday as he hadn't had rain but saw forecast for weekend and didn't bother - but we didn't get a drop. A pretty nice weekend down here instead as others will probably have commented and sunny again this morning. Nice for us to be the dry place for once...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Actually reading back no one was posting from here yesterday. Ot got cooler in the late afternoon but it was shorts and t-shirt weather yesterday til then. The cold front seemed to fizzle out before it got to us on the south coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Was freezing in Kildare, so muchso i had a jacket on when out for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

it depends what your shorts and T-shirt threshold is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't see the correlation between warmth in May and applying sunblock. Whether it's 10° or 30° on any given clear and sunny day in May (or any month for that matter), the strength of the sun remains pretty much the same. ie: if you're out and about on a clear and sunny summers day, your skin will begin to burn at pretty much at the same rate whether the (shade) temperature is 10° or 30°.

It's the ultraviolet radiation that burns your skin and you cannot feel that in the same way as infrared radiation. The warmth you feel is the infrared radiation, which penetrates further into your body than ultraviolet. There's been many occasions where I've witnessed people applying sunblock only in the late afternoon because they can feel that it's warmer than earlier in the day (lunchtime) or so. At this point they are already burnt because they were unprotected when the sun was at its strongest but these people think that they'll only start burning when the apparent warmth is greater. Those same people then complain that they still got burnt even with sunblock on even though it was because they a were burned earlier on in the day.

• Advertisement

My comment on sunblock was a flippant throwaway comment made to make the point that despite it being the warmest May on record the lived experience of it was far from that. I.E. It may confuse people when they hear that reported as when it is the warmest on record that it is not exactly "the warmest/hottest" they have experienced. People associate that with long period of sunshine and blue skies. There have been countless Mays that have been "better weather" in peoples minds. People who are frustrated with mediocre weather are not going to have their minds changed by data saying it was the warmest on record when the actual weather was "meh".

Once again I'm not doubting the science, I'm just stating the disconnect between a scientific measure and what people perceive as warm weather.

Advertisement