Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election Results

Options
  • 09-06-2024 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I am little confused by the results of these elections. I was hoping I could have other posters give their views.

Im in my 30s, single and rent. I voted for the Soc Dems because I dont feel you can vote for a right wing party if you dont own property. I earn a mid 40k salary but feel like Im struggling again because I dont own a house. I live in Dublin.

Heres what I am wondering. Do other people in my position actually feel happy with how things are and satisfied with their lot? Like I go on sun holidays and weekend breaks to the UK each year, drink out and eat out more than once a week, wear branded clothes etc, but the housing situation has had me feeling like Im not doing well.

Are we now at a stage when a renter can vote centre right feeling like they have as much as part of society and economic success as an owner? Or do renters like me just not vote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Im in my 30s, single and rent. I voted for the Soc Dems because I dont feel you can vote for a right wing party if you dont own property.

yes. I mean no.

I mean in a local election vote for whoever you think is going to serve you best in your locality. If you think a right wing party (are there) is going to get a seat on the local council and help remove all the fordiners so you can buy a house then go for it.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Question2411

By right wing I mean economic conservative like FG and FF. British Tory, German Christian Dems etc etc. If I meant the anti immigrant parties Id have said far right or fascist

I'll bite. I would never vote for them because I live in a relatively small metropolitan area and they own/run pretty much everything already. They look after their own and that's what ultimately motivates them and their garnering of votes is of little value to me. I would rather give it to an Ind or someone who is on the periphery, sometimes to keep others in the race or bouy up a gap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement