Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like house prices have rocketed up 20% in the last few months - the coutry is a **** show surely this is absolutely unsustainable

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭hometruths

If that's the case anybody who has 100k of government equity in the First Home Scheme now has to find €120k to buy it out. Or face an increased service charge in a few years. Lucky them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭Villa05

The first home scheme has helped bring 630,000euro 2 bed apartments to Limerick. All arguments for it should die on that alone

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭hometruths

Really, where did you see that? That sounds very high to say the least!!

I'm very anti the first home scheme, but if it is generating increased number of apartments that sounds like a good thing tbh.

Edit - ignore that, I get you now, and wholeheartedly agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭chalky_ie

Homes included in any of these schemes, just like council houses, should remain in a pool of affordability for the wage bracket they were designed for. They shouldn't be some vehicle for people to make money from the housing market to upgrade their home without doing anything for it. All this nonsense of buying houses off the council at cut rate prices etc. etc. is complete bullshit, you shouldn't be able to avail of these services and use them to try and rinse the next person in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Timing belt

that’s one way of preventing people from being socially mobile….or put another way Know your place in society!!!

Much rather help people that want to help themselves.

Housing affordability is often a temporary issue for the occupants of subsidised homes, therefore an affordable rental may help multiple families, while an affordable purchase is huge cash boost to one family from taxpayers.

In addition posters here state they can do whatever they like with there property so that subsidised house can end up on Airbnb and out of public and private housing stock

The mask is coming off the true political populists

It was the main finding of the Housing Commission report and during the election, I could not find one political party adopting this approach

Truly shocking political representation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What is the point of affordable housing on your view?

Is it to give someone an affordable roof over their heads & security of tenure?

Or is it to give them a financial asset and an investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Advertisement

Its all well and good saying you'd rather help people who help themselves, we have a relatively free education system for that purpose. The reality is there is a limited number of jobs that will pay sufficiently to afford private rent or a home purchase. There will always be essential jobs employing real people that will never pay enough to afford a private home purchase or rent

For this reason you need a mid tier market that allows security of tenure and rents that are affordable. The precence of such a market eases the pressure on the private rental and purchase markets, tames the inflation, helps address supply issues and can be a benefit rather than a burden to the taxpayer.

Alot of winners in such a scenario. A well thought out scheme would bring stability to the property market. Stability is the friend of the investor. Instability is the friend of the speculator.

Which should the taxpayer be supporting. The speculator path did not work out well last time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

hard to see how ordinary renters and would be home owners will have any money left to keep regular businesses in the economy going with the rapid rise of house prices this year and nose bleed rents

Not to worry though, rising house prices are moving people up the social ladder into the middle classes.. somehow

houses aren’t just purchased based on income.

what a load of BS and putting your narrative on a post just because we have a differing opinion.

All that I was pointing out is that a model where ownership exists and doesn’t lock people into social classes results in a better mix and avoids ghettos due to 100% social housing which will never be owned by occupier.

Leasehold model is as much ownership as having govt take equity stakes in your home purchase, except you do not need to buy out an increasingly large equity stakes if market prices rise.

Social housing absolutely allows people to move up in social classes, the rents are low and though they track income they have a very low cap. Many people have come from social housing and "moved up" in this country and across Europe.

The only reason it isn't even more prevalent is because social housing is so scarce and is prioritised to those "most in need", who regardless of support are least likely to move up in social classes

A big part of why the big winner across European elections was the Kremlin

There has to be a mid tier between box room in your parents house or a median salary to pay the rent

We are killing society and there is plenty negative powers out there to take advantage of it. The endgame is looking more grim by the day

The greatest barrier to social mobility is unaffordable rents.

Running faster to standstill

No one is questioning the rental market being a **** show at present… and until sufficient supply is out there it will stay like this regardless of what model is adopted… it’s not like overnight houses will appear if you choose one over the other.

What are you on about? Getting a cut rate house off the government and then flogging it at current rip off rates is not the core intention of providing adequate homes for all. If you want to be socially mobile, get a different job, go into/back into education like any other person that wants to upgrade their home has to do.

These homes are not supposed to propel people into middle class or whatever because of our fecked property market. Helping someone own a home and pay what they can, and have them come out the other side with some form of equity is not the same thing as sweetheart deals that help people make more money than they should have from an asset, while taking a house out of the pool for others.

• Advertisement

Taking a house out of the pool for others 🤣

It’s the same no of houses built regardless so that claim is pure BS.

You do know that owner needs to buy back shared equity from council/lda/housing body before they sell it so unless there financial situation changes and are able to buy out shared equity before selling they are not benefiting more than a regular house buyer besides having benefited from moving out of private rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Do people really think government will see the proceeds from the equity share? I guarantee as prices go up there will be articles about how much government is making and it will simply become they need to repay the original amount. Governments love buying votes. Its the same way the rainy day fund wont ever properly take off. Would be raided for some other purpose.

they will only see proceeds if property sold…For majority I doubt shared equity will be paid before probate kicks in and no doubt there will be calls from left to write it off in those circumstances.

If a house is a council house, or part of a scheme where the gov takes equity, if said house is 'bought out' by the owner/occupant and sold on the market, then of course it has been taken out of the pool. It should remain as a house in whatever scheme its part of, be that through the council/government buying it back for the same discounted price the original owner availed of and offering it again to another person needing similar, or by those houses not being purchasable in the first place. It's not the government's job to provide everyone with houses to own, it's their job to make sure everyone has a good home to live in.

I am specifically talking about situations where the owner ends up getting some sort of discounted deal to take full ownership of the house, if they end up paying the full market price overall for it, then that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Interesting back and forth above. One big factor in future Irish housing market is politics and we have seen in the recent elections that Independents have flourished. Noting that older home owners are more likely to vote than younger people means that parties which place a large emphasis on individual success in society on house prices increasing over time will do well. With changing demographics and home ownership a pipe dream for the majority of probably 30-40% of the electorate (many of whom don’t actually vote), it begs the question as to what will happen as this group of non-homeowners become the majority of voters over time.

I have seen some pretty strong views spoken from young professionals who are renters about what should happen to the housing market including that it would be great to see house prices and rents completely collapse. The further out of reach home ownership becomes, the more extreme renters seem to get in their views. How common are these views among renters I wonder and what impact this will have on politics going forward?

At 36 onwards is where we see more people home owners than renters, rising dramatically from 26 years in 1991 and 28 years in 2008. I think only slightly more than half of the electorate are aged over 36. All the data is moving very quickly in the direction of the majority of the electorate being renters in the next 15 years, unless the housing market becomes easier to access (which means lower prices without hits to purchaser power or additional purchaser supports).

council don’t have houses to sell to tenants and haven’t had for years. It’s affordable housing where the shared ownership is used to help people buy a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I’m saying this as a 37 year old who owns a home. If I were a young man again, I would happily take my chances in a 2008 style crash than I would in an attempt to carve out a life in this perpetual growth machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Many seem to have forgotten just how bad the crash was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

As with many things in life, it depended on your situation. As it was a deflationary situation, it meant that prices were lower (a lot lower), the cities were less crowded, costs of living were lower and the state was broke, so it didn’t have the resources to cause mayhem as it does today. Was it better? I don’t know, but there are people up and down this country who are praying for a crash, and that alone says something.

Personally speaking, I would lose out if a crash were to happen, but that’s just my own subjective situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Personally I don’t think it was that bad; it was a period of maybe 6/7 years of uncertainty after 20 years of prosperity and the last 9/10 years have been prosperous. So, in the last 30 years we have only had 6/7 years of negativity in the property market.

Advertisement