Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear Energy for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's no nett exports once you start looking at timescales given for dunkelflaute scaremongering.

Here's a less dated, but interesting breakdown here

France isn't producing nuclear power like it used to.

The lowest availability in 2022 was just a third of their peak availability in 2015-2019.

In other words, because people keep claiming that nuclear is dependable, two thirds of their capacity wasn't available at times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

98.2% of the 12009MW exports at that time were 11795MW hydro-electricity.

The other 214MW as well as the 23MW pumped storage would easily be covered by the 798MW biomass.

France does not export nuclear.

The EPR's aren't a new design. They are an iterative development of the N4 which were a sixth generation French plant which were in turn developed from US designs.

They have built or mostly built half a dozen of those EPR's on top of the four N4's and over 50 other PWR reactors of the previous but related designs. It's not remotely close to being a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

I'm sorry - you're going to have to be very very specific about how France manage to only export watts of energy generated from hydraulic. That's just not how national grids typically work, and I'm not aware of anything special about France's grid which allows them to use "nuclear" energy internally and never export it.

We can get into the prior decades of export from their grid at a later point if needed.

The EPR's aren't a new design. They are an iterative development of the N4 which were a sixth generation French plant which were in turn developed from US designs.

That's fine if it's your opinion. It just contradicts the written report you linked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

https://www.euractiv.com/section/electricity/news/electricity-exporter-for-42-years-france-became-a-net-importer-in-2022/

2022 was a record breaking year for hydro unavailability and nuclear unavailability. If this is the year you're going to highlight then nuclear is in a great position availability and reliability wise, as the decades of high reliability prior to 2022 demonstrate. Nuclear output is currently at a 3 year high too.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/france-boosts-nuclear-output-3-year-highs-during-q1-2024-2024-04-02/

One of the main contributing factors to nuclear unavailability in 2022 specifically was that regular maintenance which should have occurred in 2021 (and maybe 2020 as well?) was deferred because of COVID. This is documented.

Drought was the main contributor for the lack of hydro.

We're quite fortunate there wasn't a repeat of 2021s lack of wind at the same time. There were record lows for wind generation (about 33% less than predicted) between April and August 2021. This really underscores the need for a mixed grid with high capacity high reliability generators, such as nuclear, to be a key part of the story. I grabbed a random link about the low wind event - I'm sure you could find more/alternative ones if needed.

https://theconversation.com/what-europes-exceptionally-low-winds-mean-for-the-future-energy-grid-170135

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nuclear waste isn't a real problem, that's why waiting to see and putting off doing anything is a solution, it's worked for as long as nuclear power has existed. The UAE waste management scheme is exactly that. It works and it doesn't harm people or the environment.

My solution I have already described a couple of times.

If you believe anthropogenic CO2 is a problem, who has the greater problem, Ireland with it's 190g per KWh of CO2 emissions from it's grid and no plan to eliminate it by 2050, or France, with it's 13g per KWh who could reduce it to 0 within an hour, but has some nuclear waste lying around that takes up space?

Ireland could have an effectively zero CO2 grid inside of 15 years if it had the will, basically meaning massively modifying the planning process and waking up to reality, and it would cost less than a quarter of the current crazy renewables based plan that is completely missing any rational storage element that can take 28 and 47% capacity factor tech and turn it in to zero CO2 energy 24/7/365. There is no plan for replacing gas, only a hope that something will turn up before 2050.

As for your fears about low level waste being dumped at sea, lol.

There is low level radiation almost everywhere - in aircraft cabins when you fly - wafting in through your air vents as you drive through a high radon area, zapped into your face after your dentist has scurried from the room or from the CT scanner after all the staff are safely in their bunker, or just pouring out of that massive unshieldid fusion ractor in the sky that is responsible for there being any life on Earth in the first place.

The only reason you have a brain capable of worrying about nothing is because of evolution, which is driven by mutatons caused by alterations to DNA, some of which is due to radiation and some from chemicals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote: The only reason you have a brain capable of worrying about nothing is because of evolution, which is driven by mutatons caused by alterations to DNA, some of which is due to radiation and some from chemicals.

Interesting theory - rivalling Darwin. Surely selective breeding would be a larger effect, but what would I know.

I suppose, the effort put into protecting everyone from radiation is to slow down evolution. I thought it was to cut down cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Was there not a problem with the radiation effects on the reactor?

Cracking was an unforeseen and pretty terminal effect.

The other slight problem is not only were things like damage to the structure of the pressure vessel not foreseen, but the production of elements and release into the environment of isotopes that life on planet earth has never had exposure to was not anticipated either.

I didn't ask for the strontium 90 in my skeleton and I know it does me no good at all.

So far the ability to keep radioactive materials along with plastics drugs and fire retardants from contaminating the entire planet seems to be around zero.

At least the human race has learned to live with sunlight and wind, and although maybe a risk assessment of the damage droughts, sunstroke, hurricanes and tornado's do would suggest a ban was in order, I have not heard of any moves in that direction so far :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StoutPost

We're very vulnerable to energy disruption as an island nation. We can't defend our seas or undersea infrastructure. We don't, I think, have much in the way of storage. I think nuclear is a good option for Ireland. I accept an argument we couldn't protect that in a meaningful way either but it's a significantly harder source of power to disrupt covertly, or indirectly, than say damaging undersea cables or disrupting shipping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Remember Joe Jacob and the iodine tablets rushed out to every home in the land to save us from the nuclear waste leaks from Sellafield. The use by date has long passed and no new supplies issued.

Marion Finucane we miss you!

• Advertisement

Will you ever stop with this nonsense about France exporting renewables?

Here is France's grid makeup today.

AT 04:30, Their exported energy was almost 16 GW, Their solar energy production was zero, their wind production and hydro combined was only 10.3 GW, it's a mathmatical falsehood to claim France exports only renewables. It's as false as your claim that nuclear isn't dispatchable:

Here from another day, it's obvious to even a blind man, particularly in the left third, that their exports (grey) mirrored the change in output from nuclear (orange) and the significant ramping up and down was likely in response to export demand changing. (The grey area is superimposed on top of orange nuclear output)

Your claims that France only exports renewables is false, as is your claim that nuclear is not dispatchable. Renewables are not dispatchable, you can not summon the wind or sun on demand; France clearly alters their nuclear output to satisfy export demand.

There are solutions to nuclear waste; several. Even Ireland has offshore subteranian salt layers that are suitable, as do many places on Earth. In the Netherlands, they already store gases in salt caverns, as deep as 3.5 km beneath the surface, I believe. Turn your waste into synroc and place that in salt caverns as is done for gases. A permanent safe solution with at least 10 times longer safe storage than is necessary - on the scale of millions of years vs the 100k time scale said to be necessary for weapons grade plutonium. Nuclear waste storage/disposal is not an insoluble problem.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Not only do I remember them, I still have them. They should be regarded as a national embarrassment and truly cringe-worthy. My son just mentioned to me that Irish schools regularly instruct children to write to Sellafield begging them to stop making the power that we are so hyocritically happy to import to fudge our CO2 numbers. What a brainwashed country this is.

The use by date is meaningless, they would still be effective.

Post edited by cnocbui on

I find human risk perception, and how mind blowingly twisted and wrong it usually is, to be a fascinating but frustrating topic.

We have 8.1 billion humans on Earth now, we are incredibly bad at killing ourselves with all these anthropogenic hazards you mention, despite the best efforts of Chinese gain of function virologists to wipe us out with Covid and their more recent efforts to improv on it's lethality

Has the strontium 90 you dislike done you any harm? In terms of living with sunlight - it killed my brother at the ripe old age of 34.

It is not the point.

It will certainly have done some people harm, it causes bone cancer and leukemia.

In fact even though it might have been known as a potential fission product, its affinity for bone certainly wasn't.

Sunlight is a totally different risk, it's up to the individual just how much exposure they get and the individual can do a risk assessment as to exposure and/ or precautions to take.

Here on the coast and in a farming community people are well aware of the danger, several have had to have treatment for skin cancer.

Sunlight carries benefits to outweigh the risk. The main source of strontium 90 in Ireland was Windscale which provided no benefits to those contaminated.

My "human risk perception" is quite straightforward. If I have a risk, any risk, I want to know what's in it for me. Then I will assess that risk.

If there is nothing in it for me, why have any increase in personal risk?

The other slight problem is that strontium 90 is only one decay product, there are of course many others also. All have different chemical characteristics as well as different decay modes and energy levels.

There were high incidences of cancers around nuclear sites in the UK, but things are not easily defines as to cause and effect. Still you only have to see the burning down of 5G masts and degree qualified medical doctors in the US saying "Demons sperm" causes illness and face masks are no use against covid to realise the cause and effect link is a tad difficult for some to follow, even with a classic respiratory viral infection.

You have obviously never worked in a nuclear power station.

The security is extreme to say the least. The UK has an armed nuclear police force and they are armed at all times.

You are living and working by a "dirty bomb" , a terrorists dream.

The last power station I worked in was well aware of the covert vulnerability, the security posters were full of little reminders of what to look for and report as suspicious.

The UK has an air force with significant firepower that can be scrambled if an unauthorised flight is detected also.

We are not the UK. Irish defence freeloading must stop. That is not to say don't cooperate with other nations but Ireland is largely defenceless. I was less talking about terrorists and more about hostile states.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I mentioned same last year and a few shills scoffed at the need for military security. It's probably the biggest single blocker to a nuclear plant in the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I never got what this military security was going to be for.

I remember some expressing fears that Russia would perhaps bomb a NPP, but if they were going to send a plane to cause a nuclear fallout here, then they would not need to bomb a NPP to do that. Just dropping a nuke from the plane or launching one from a submarine would do the same thing, and we are never going to have the military capability to stop either.

If it`s to thwart internal terrorists, then we have had that threat in the past and we had the military guarding power plants. Particularily hydro-electric plants, so what the difference now would be with NPPs I fail to see.

To me it is just another makey-uppey nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

OK it was in the Infrastructure forum not the Politics forum. Post from Julg 2023 below:

Yes indeed a 1:1 between renewables and nuclear was my point exactly. Both were equal contributors. Now that Olkiluoto 3 is online nuclear should be the greater contributor, if it can stay online. So long as we are dealing with a useful dataset, such a minimum 1 year, mature debate can take place.

I agree we dont have enough security of supply and that's why Moneypoint was fired up again. However unlike Finland, Sweden and France we are not part of a continental grid, which is a structural weakness acting against nuclear plant suitability for Ireland. Fair play to the Finns but they have a geographical advantage.

Find me a similarly sized country on an island (not literally you Charlie) with no military, no existing nuclear plants, no native nuclear industry, no nuclear fuel deposits, that has a single nuclear facility supply one third of their electricity - which is also run by clowns who can't plan a hospital and a Metro railway in their capital city. Then we can compare that island to ourselves.

Finland have Norway and Sweden as virtual spinning reserve and export customer. We don't. Finland had Russia as a supplier but that relationship is a little bit frosty now.

This also represents a further externality regarding Olkiluoto security. Is it a good idea to have several nuclear plants and a waste depository on the same island when your neighbour has hypersonic guided missiles and isn't afraid to use them. NATO is an obvious retort to that but the risk is still present and will cost the Finnish taxpayer via increased military spending.

Can Ireland even build a nuclear plant without paying for French or British defence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If some other state wanted to cause a nuclear fallout here why would they bomb a NPP to do that They could as easily and more efficiently do it by just using a nuke missile ?

This "we would need a military capable of preventing a nuclear attack because we have NPPs" is just anti-nuclear scaremongering. If some state wanted to nuke us, then having or not having NPPs would not be off even the slightest consideration for them.

The problem is terrorists if you have nuclear power.

The whole point is that Irelands defence isn't at the same level as the UK's, and although at less risk from, terrorism a Western nuclear power plant is still going to be quite tempting for someone trying to make a statement even if it only contaminates from afar those that stole their oil and murdered their fellows.

Irish defence freeloading?

Well Ireland has not invaded too many countries or redrawn any borders in lands it has slaughtered the natives in.

All the more reason to go toward natural available energy anyway. It isn't quite as exciting, but I recall a time when this house had a light in every room and one socket by the window,

We did quite well actually, not a duvet in the house and a hot water bottle for the exceptionally cold periods.

There has never been an attack on a NPP with an aim to secure material for terrorist purposes. It's FUD. As for protection against a foreign hostile state. Nuclear power plants located in mostly rural areas wouldn't be my highest concern, which would be the headline problem of being attacked by a foreign power that spends more than zero on it's military. Whether you have NPPs in the country, or not, is of trivial significance comparatively.

Both issues are complete FUD in terms of realistic scenarios given our membership of the EU and the state of the world. We host probably the largest Orc intelligence/espionage asset in Europe - a small umbrella, but probably of greater significance than our own military capabilities.

The EU's Mutual Defence Clause — Article 42.7 in the Treaty of Lisbon — was approved in 2007 and has been in force since 2009.

It states that "if an EU country is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other EU countries have an obligation to aid and assist it by all means in their power."

This has somewhat ran away from the point I was trying to make, that nuclear power is a geopolitically more reliable form of power for an island nation compared to energy sources imported by ship or via undersea cables. It's easier for a hostile nation to disrupt our shipping indirectly, ie the conflict in the Red Sea at the moment, or directly but covertly such as by submarine or "research ships". The defence aspect is that as a nation we're deaf, dumb, and blind without other nations doing the work for us.

Do the isotopes know they have to stay in rural areas?

Chernobyl fallout was detected first by Sweden, 700 miles from the plant.

Restrictions of sheep movements lasted 26 years for UK sheep farmers.

There was never a terrorist attack on an aircraft once, or the Pentagon once, or the World Trade Center once.

With the wind in the right direction and some conventional explosive a terrorist has in effect a dirty bomb.

Having experienced security in a nuclear power station in the UK, I honestly wonder how they are deemed cost effective.

No doubt the level of security is a major reason that no one has targeted one.

I'm not denying that France is exporting electricity. I'm pointing that once you smooth out load balancing all of the exports are covered by renewables.

We are constantly being told that nuclear has up-times of over 90%. So it should be impossible that with 56 nuclear reactors you could ever loose two thirds of capacity. But it happened. And it happened in Japan too. Nuclear is not dependable.

French nuclear is at a three year high? The reality is that it's at a 30 year low.

Tell that to all the countries who used to get fuel from Russia or the SMR startups that planned on doing the same.

If we used Chinese investment to build a nuke here we'd owe a lot of money to the sort of people you don't want to owe any money to.

The list of countries and companies that left the nuclear industry or been bankrupt or close to bankruptcy is impressive. In most cases politics is why they left or why they survived.

Being an island wouldn't have mattered.

I have never been in favour of relying on, being kind, authoritarian regimes like you have mentioned. It's foolish policy to be reliant on at best an adversary and in the interesting times we're currently experiencing, hostile powers.

Many democratic nations have nuclear power generation from France to Japan. We should be doing business with nations of similar values when it comes to such long term important projects.

I agree politics has played a significant role in closing or attempting to close many plants, with the russian invasion of Ukraine people are seeing how dumb those decisions were. People are prone to holding positions without informing themselves of the realities.

France and Japan ?

One lost two thirds of it's nuclear power , the other 80%.

• Advertisement

The point was, nuclear power generation is not only in the hands of authoritarian nations.

Advertisement