Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭beachhead

Missed the 5G episode or didn't notice any real difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Does anyone else still on 4G that is being throttled or reduced since the move over to 5G?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Yes i think. How can you confirm though? Is there any independent test program for example? I recommend logging a 48 fault report by email (complaints@48months.zendesk.com) and refer it to Comreg if it's not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone experiencing brief (5-30 minute) 4G/mobile data dropouts, maybe 2-3 times per day? My speed drops to about 10-20KB/s during these periods. Download speeds are normal at all other times during the day.

I notice complete or almost complete loss of data around 5-6pm daily. Congestion?

Also I used normally see 4G+. Now I never see it - just 4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I used to get full 4G coverage with speeds of 100mbps+, last few months I’ve noticed it jumps between 1-2 bars and speed has dropped to 10-30mbps. Small village with a 4G/5G mast about 700m away. I’m on the original €7.99 4G plan.

That's extremely high at 100mbps.I live about 200 metres from a mast and nothing like that.Always,whenever I check at your lowest range.On e7.99 plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Did a test there on Fast.com. €7.99 plan, 3 bars of LTE - 210Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I noticed I had 4 bars in another spot so ran another test - 400Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

25mbps Dublin 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭thebourke

Heading to antwerp in belgium in a few weeks time…anybody have roaming issues with 48 network in belgium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I’ve been a number of times to Belgium and could never get it to work. Had it working in other countries but never had any luck in Belgium. Haven’t been there in 18 months though so could have changed.

Unless someone who was there more recently can confirm it’s working, if you’ve a dual SIM phone with eSIM it might be worth getting a Vodafone eSIM and getting the €5 data add on. That’s what I did after the first time left me stuck with no service at all. €5 for 5GB valid for 30 days iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

funny attempt by 48 to get people to move from the 7.99 plan.. got the email yesterday… upgrade to12.99 plan and get 5g… who cares.. don't need it..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sometimes my phone works straight up, some times I have to adjust the APN settings. Keep this image on your phone so you can adjust them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fair enough. You won't beat inflation for the rest of your life on a technicality. 💁‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

im sure at some point they will say we are bundling 5g now by default and the plan is 10.99… im sure the 7.99 for life thing could be gotten out of creatively on their side of things

They might also decide to close down 48 and relaunch a brand new service, 49. 😁 €7.99 for life means the life of 48, end 48s life and that's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

Well, they tried inflation busting a while back with their change to a "28 day month" and had to back down after lots of complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I also got that email. Hi %%firstname%%. I felt so seen.

Sounds like a variation of the supermarkets ploy.Withdraw a product then reduce the size and increase the price.But e10.99 already a price point for 48,so would have to be 13.99,14.99 or more for 49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Get In There

I find my 48 data coverage to be patchy at times. Right now it's just at 6mpb.

I thought I saw a post on here (which I now can't find!) saying they changed the APN to 3ireland. So I thought I'd try that to see if there was any improvement but my APN just keeps reverting back to 48months.liffeytelecom.com each time. I've tried editing the default APN, deleting the APN and adding a new one.

Anyone have success in editing the default APN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone who ordered a replacement sim know how long it took? I'm hoping for quicker than the 5-7 days they say it takes

It cud be 3 days but not 7

Banking on 3 cos I'm away for a week, will be a pain with no phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭batistuta9

whatsapp should work without a SIM. get a cheap sim then in one of the shops for data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭spakman

it should work with your current sim if you're comfortable checking APN settings, and changing to 48months.liffeytelecom.com if necessary

It's a new phone too, old sim won't work in the new phone. Annoyingly, have a new phone and an old sim. Still waiting for the new sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I may have to move onto this package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭KildareP

I wonder what the motivation behind removing the FUP is? Can't imagine it will do anything for network performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Would be great if Gomo followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭j_lennon18

I think it is down to new advertising rules around "unlimited":

https://adstandards.ie/guidance-limitless-unlimited/

It came into effect on the 25th April 2024 but with a 6 month period window to make amendments to comply so feels like it is down to this and I would hope the rest of the providers will do the same or at least stopping referring to things as "unlimited".

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I think the fair usage policies will still.apply.for the 7.99 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭j_lennon18

Agreed. They will just make sure to not use the word "unlimited" anywhere in that plan and be explicit about the limit for that plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Anyone who is on the 5g plan, is there much of a difference speed wise from 4g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I was only thinking this last night. I have a US iPhone 15 so no sim tray which prevents me using 48. Vodafone recently changed my bill pay plan with no notice to one far inferior to what I had and it was about the only thing keeping me on Vodafone. eSim will surely be a deal breaker for alot of people in the coming few years or is there an EU requirement to have the option of a physical sim in newer phones?

I seen something mentioned here last year that comreg had asked all mobile operators to provide eSIM by end of 2023 but mnvos must escape this. They clearly have the ability to do it as parent network 3 and mnvo lycamobile have it also so it’s just seems that there’s just no appetite in the networks to offer it since it may cause people to switch more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PH0NER

Eir still doesn’t offer eSIM either. It’s still just Vodafone, Three, and Lyca Mobile. It’s kind of surprising how slow the carriers have been to adopt eSIM here.

Isn't GoMo World an Eir project?

yes which makes it even more frustrating that eir don’t offer eSIM properly

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thespecialon

Anyone travel to Croatia recently with 48 let me know how the roaming worked will be in Zagreb and Split specifically.

thanks T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How would people rate 48 as a network? The missus is looking to switch and the only requirements are good data connection and not using Eir's network (I'm with GoMo and we'd like to try and have different networks in case there's an issue with one)

I've narrowed it down to 48 or Clear Mobile. 48 seems to be a better deal since Clear is speed capped

I checked Open signal and 3 seems to have good coverage in my area, I'm guessing this will generally mean 48 should have reasonable download speeds as well?

Is there anything missing from 48 that other networks have? I noticed WiFi calling doesn't seem to be available

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I’ve used both Three and 48 in my area and in terms of network performance/coverage they were identical.

• Advertisement

Yes 48 uses the Three masts so if you have good Three reception, 48 should be fine. 48 itself provide an excellent service at the cheapest price in Ireland. Highly recommended. And here's a free month... https://refer.48.ie/peterd-2571.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wondering if anyone could advise me as to whether this is a scam or not?

My son has a 48 sim.

He got a text message last night to say he has used up his mobile data allowance for the month. He checked his usage and it was 3gb, which is well below his allowance afaik.

I had a look at the text and it came from "48months" and it had a link on it which looked legit, as it was something like "http://48.ie/my-login

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭homer911

48.ie is on https:// not http://, on that basis I'd say to ignore but he can simply verify by trying to download some data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

He can also verify by logging into his son's 48months account (don't use the provided link in the email) and see what the status is, it sounds like at a 3gb limit it's one of the older 48months plans (The Guido)

48 have an official app, I'd go by that rather than links by text.

• Advertisement
Advertisement