Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lovely watch Eoin, one of the all time classic chronos, I'd agree leather is the way to go, Hirsch heavy calf is very close to oem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks Cyrus, I was disappointed that your Zenith was just a bit too small for me - it was so much watch for the money, but I've learnt the hard way to pass instead of hoping I get used to a watch that feels the wrong size.

This is the Hirsch I had in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭micks_address

have you tried the breitling mesh strap? ive a friend with a chronospace with one and its uber comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had one on my SuperOcean Heritage also - it is definitely incredibly comfortable, just too much shininess for me.

yes that's the model! Enjoy!

Zenith sold to next in line the week after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Away camping so left my beloved Sinn at home. Brought my ocean GMT with upgraded ceramic bezel. Appreciate the orange leather won't be to everyone's taste but I love the way it pops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

A quick side-by-side of the two Speedmasters, the new Pro 3861 alongside the 3594.50 from 2001. A lot more bling in the 57 reissue with applied logo, steel bezel and steel arrow hands. It also has more of a grey dial than the black of the Speedmaster Pro.

Any thoughts or observations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Love everything about the 57 reissue except the hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Like the applied logo, one thing thats lacking in my SPro. The bezel is a really nice touch too. Great watch, wear well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd like the '57 hands on the classic speedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

silver bezel makes the 3594 look smaller for some reason

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭jefferson73

Saturday, hoping the sun comes out.

ETA 2824-2 is workhorse.

Beautiful watches and great strap combinations, classy.

Tried the Willard on this Seiko strap.. far to stiff so gone back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭covey123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I discovered something a little bit frustrating today about the 1861 movement in my 2001 Speedmaster 3894. There's no hacking. You can't stop the second hand moving when you pull the crown out or even by winding slightly backwards to hold the second hand in place like you could in later versions (in the current version the second hand just stops). I looked up the manual to confirm this. Means you can never get the time bang on "the pips" as the manual says.

Still a fine looking watch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I encountered this with a different movement. I have a 861 Speedmaster Mark II that got a new main spring, and find that even with it, if the watch is fully wound, the wind back method doesn't work quite so well.

The trick is to let it run down on main spring power until nearly fully spent, and then use the back pressure method. It is still hard to get it absolutely accurate, but it might work.

Lumey

• Advertisement

I picked this up on tz forums a few weeks ago and sent it to banies polisher.. it's 36mm so smaller than I usually wear. Seamaster 120 quartz..came on bracelet that's just a half link to short. Story of my life 😂

Have it on navy colareb for now

Clasp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up a nice NATO for my OG Orient Mako.

It was missing links, making it too tight to wear and the rubber diving strap was uncomfortable in this warmer weather.

Wearing this elasticated fabric strap all day and it's perfect

You need more than a half link there Mick, I've seen looser blood pressure cuffs 😉

Also, well wear, that is a very nice watch.

**PS**

Forgot to ask, what's your opinion on Alex's work? I know I was delighted with the result on my Omega but, I'd hate to think I overegged it😉

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭H_Lime

That polishing and brushing is sweet, bracelet and case looking sharp and fresh. Having had a crack off doing a couple myself it's mucho painstaking work.

Snagged an Uncle Seiko bracelet (female end link) to see how the other half lives. Oyster or even H link is preferable to me over rounded link presidential style.

End link fit is acceptable, not up to oem standard but you could back a bus into that first link gap. On this alone it's a miss for me. Besides, the appearance of the watch wearing smaller with female end links and dialshield colour mismatch nailed it shut. Will adapt this bracelet to fit my willard mashup.

Back to the stocker

Yeah I ordered a full link from our Italian friends. Should do the trick. Not sure if I'll wear it on the bracelet or stick with a strap. Nice watch and about 750 euro which for the child of the aqua terra seems reasonable.. it's quartz but I wanted that as my planet ocean is automatic and the speedy is the what it is. A kind of trilogy of sorts for me..nice that it has the Goldeneye wave dial. The polishing work is great. In fairness he asked me what I wanted and provided exactly that. I bought from a seller in England and we agreed to ship to Alex for polishing and pressure testing and sent on to my smuggler in Armagh I think it would look well on a nice brown strap as well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

New King Samurai Manta Ray landed. Very pleased with it. Dial and ceramic bezel is a very nice upgrade over my old one. Strap is very comfortable, like having the Seiko branded hardware on it but I do prefer how my Crafter Blue one fills the lugs. Might try the Seiko buckle and keeper on it.

Cyclops I can tolerate just the date only over day date. It might grow on me but there's a chance it will get chipped off! Short-sited so despite getting closer to 50 reading glasses are still a good few years away I hope!

The grey manta ray dial is nice, well wear.

If that cyclops is applied like the one I removed from a King turtle it's quite a challenge.

Would recommend removing the works and hitting it with a jet lighter for longer than you will be comfortable with. Personally I'd just swap it with a crystal times one if doing it again.

• Advertisement

Had a 19mm Erika's sitting around so threw it on the seamaster. It's a mm to wide but doesn't matter. I'm still trying to convince myself size doesn't matter.. it's a small watch compared to my planet ocean and speedy but I dont think too small..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭furiousox

I wanted to get a cheap 42mm GMT for work/holidays.

Looked at a few options and settled on this one.

Build quality is ok, (strap is a bit rattly) but overall ok for 100 quid.

CPL 593H

For the seiko heads I thought I'd just throw this up here, hope that's OK.

This is the chap I and many modders have being using for years for most oem parts https://www.skx009.com/shop/ skx009

He has recently floated this site so it's still a work in progress. He was selling on Ali as "db" but they've tightened up on oem, hence this site. He's reliable, informed and sells actual oem only. Considerably cheaper than the AD. For instance...

Seiko turtle bracelet is 99 dollars shipped and Samuri bracelet is 109 dollars shipped.... Might be of use to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In a surprise trade offer last night, I got my old Polar explorer back 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Some eclectic style mix there but nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭893bet

Bit of Vacheron today (no additional jewellery on this wrist)!

off topic but how the **** can iPhone camera be so bad. It’s like they got worse the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Tbf, it captured the freckles on your arm and wrist perfectly, the watch part however, is terrible. Beautiful watch though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Out and about earlier;

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've been wearing this all week on the "modern" Omega bracelet with micro adjust. I've mentioned before that the new style bracelet's SEL doesn't fit the older style lugs. Proper 1st world issue 😉

The Mrs & I are away for a few days in Achill early next week and despite putting new shoes on my Sinn Divers? I'll probably end up with this on my wrist for the break too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭scwazrh

still looks good even with spud camera.

I fully believe that every time a new iPhone is released the iOS update deliberately makes the current iPhone model worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Hunter gathering for dinner

• Advertisement

They are designed to be idiot proof..just saying

I moved from an iPhone 8 to a 13 this year. 13 lasted two months and went to a 14.

8 camera focus far better.

ah designed for idiots. No wonder I have trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I need something new

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Any inklings as to what you might be after? Or is it just need something new-itis?

After all my humming and hawing a out watch to wear for the mini-break? Laziness won out and it's my ProMaster jp3050-55 on wrist.

Partly because I moved so little over the weekend that my Omega stopped at 8.10am today🤣 and mostly because I plan on being a vegetable as long as possible 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Iguarantee

I ultimately went with a 2nd hand 2020 Breitling SuperOcean 44 from Chrono24: €2800 delivered, nearly flawless condition.

I’m very happy, it’s quite understated but I can feel the quality in every part of it, especially how the bracelet feels.

Good experience buying from C24, seller cut the price based on my suggested price but didn’t reply when I asked them about shipping. Watch shipped at 05:00 Monday and delivered 11:00 Tuesday, very quick.

I’ve an iPhone 15 Pro Max but Boards seems to reduce image quality; the watch looks excellent in person, I’m unsure if this translates to this post though.

The matt green is very nice. I had considered a new SuperOcean 44 in the new style but I viewed it in two AD’s over the last fortnight and the lack of a date window combined with the ~€1200 uplift in price over the one I bought really worked against it. It’s also much more polished and flashier than the watch I bought, more bling than tool, so it wasn’t for me.

Quite a strange experience to buy a watch for that amount, close to 10x what I’ve previously paid for a watch. I am a firm believer that you (generally) get what you pay for though.

Post edited by Iguarantee on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RJBreslin

a “little” Russian pilots watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Out enjoying the sun with doggo.

Keeping to theme of Sinns on rubber, here's my efforts today.

In a related tangent, I came within a whisker of buying the below just now. Unfortunately someone beat me to it. I know I should be moving up the tiers rather than sideways but, I think this version of the 356 with the guilloche dial is a cracking piece. I had clicked out of the post to check my account balance and when I'd gone back in, it had sold 🤦‍♀️

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/1dl2vgp/wts_sinn_356_flieger_iii_sa_sapphire_silver/

I am looking upon it as money saved and telling myself that it all counts towards a Breguet XXI somewhere down the road🤔

• Advertisement
Advertisement