Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In Ireland, "a couple" is a low number, but more than two.

As in, a couple of drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You are comparing things that aren't comparable. The length of time of counting votes being a few days, which is usual for us and not an issue is not comparable to the mess that is the children's hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Morning all.
    Another day full of speculation to look forward to.
    Seems like Rabbitte’s assertion that one lies to get into power fell on deaf ears ( going by the increase in labour LE results).

Also how MM swore blind he would never go into power with FG and did yet FF’s numbers holding up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Well well well.

It wasn't just be who seemed to have voted FF and somehow Sinn Fein have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of Victory over the last 6 months.

I have to say Mary Lou's interview yesterday cemented my thoughts that she needs to go. Arrogance and Ignorance to think that she thought the people somehow punished them for assuming they were in Government. Idiot.

I'm sure it's been touched on, in the vast amount of threads but government need to call an election straight away and they'd be all but gaurenteed to return to power. (I don't want FG anywhere near the next Government FWIW)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

How little do you understand local elections in Ireland? Currently or histrionically?

A massive swing to the right was never going to happen.

We are 10- 15 years behind the rest of Europe - benefits of being the last link in the chain.

Maybe now the government/left will stop gas-lighting everyone who questions them as "far right"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

Multiple seat PR-STV constituencies with dozens of candidates dont lend themselves to fast counting. In a FPTP system you can just pile up the X's for each candidate and send them through a counting machine. But with 3 foot long ballot papers and preference voting even a first count is going to take time with 100's of thousands of votes cast. And when you get to transfers, even matters like how transfers are selected adds time. If you think of a candidate who exceeded the quota by 10,000 you cant just take 10,000 off the top as they might be all from one area. They do in effect take them off the top of the piles but the piles themselves need to be representative.

E-voting trialled in the 2002 GE in a few constituencies actually automated all of this and would probably produce a more accurate result. They worked and worked well, problem being though that security could not be guaranteed, which no system could in truth. What should have happened is that the E-voting machine produce a paper record to the voter, so the voter may verify their intention has been accurately reflected and audit completed comparing a sample of these paper records to actual result to ensure nothing untoward happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

find out what has shut MLMD. Up over the last few weeks and apply same to MM!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Daly & Wallace, they are like weasels. They will get back in.

Neither look likely to win a seat. Certainly not Daly anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

By definition, it means 2.

We are on day 3 of the count now…

• Advertisement

My point is a general one, in regards to the culture we have in regards to efficiency and speed of getting things done.

There are dozens of examples I can use. We like to take our time as a nation. From counting votes, to building homes, roads or reforming anything really.

1st count in MNW is expected later on this evening…

Last seat will be hard to call. I siuspect SF may miss out all together. Maybe Nina going on trends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Counting only began on Sunday

Saturday was only sorting of ballots into locals and euros. Tallies began then, but not counting

Good post.

Even if we didnt go 100% into e-voting, surely there are methods to make this easier for people to count and cast a ballot?

It's simply incredible to me, watching the news, where an army of 200 people in a count centre shuffule about the place, sorting votes into boxes with ballot papers as long as your arm. We are on the dawn of an AI revolution over the next 10 years, yet here are sorting through a literal forest of paper for a week and a bit to see who has won 5 seats in Europe.

I was watching RTE last night and some professors mentioned that these long ballot papers do affect how people vote, as with the length of them people will scan the top and bottom of the ballot and many candidates get lost in the middle. Studies have shown that this does affect how people vote. She said, that something needs to be done here as it does affect the outcome.

That would be simply incredible if that happened.

MLMD should go, if that transpires.

OK, fair enough, but tallying is still part of the count process.

Tallies are unofficial and not accepted as part of the count process. If no tallies were done it would not change a thing. It has as much relevance to the actual count process as an exit poll

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For the European Elections , no we are not.

We voted Friday , but because other parts of Europe voted Saturday/Sunday we could not start the count immediately

Counting was not allowed until yesterday and the 1st count results could not be revealed until after 10pm.

So in reality we are about 24hrs into the process at this point.

• Advertisement

So why are tallies done at all so?

Tallies do take time, so why did they not start counting off the bat with no tally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

markodaly quote "We are on day 3 of the count now…"

No we are not. Sorting of the Euro ballot papers only began yesterday and counting began only late yesterday. We haven't had a full day counting yet.

However you are on day three, at least, of complaining about our electoral system. it is the nature of our system that counts will take some time. That is the price we willingly pay for the best electoral system in Europe. The EU Parliament reconvenes in late July, five weeks time I think, so plenty of time to get the count done.

We voted Friday , but because other parts of Europe voted Saturday/Sunday we could not start the count immediately

I get that we could not announce any official count results before 10 pm Sunday, but we could have started a count earlier and not announced any official results until after the polls closed.

Because tallies give the earliest indication of how things might go

Tallies are not done by election officials - they are done by outside observers, usually political parties.

The count process is it's own standalone process. It does not rely on tallies. Tallies involve people watching votes being separated in count centres and tallying first prefs. It is not an exact science which is why it is not used in count, as ballots can be missed by tallymen as they are only observing not sorting ballots themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You could restrict the number of candidates in order to make voting simpler but, obviously, that would be democratically questionable, to put it no higher. You could randomise the order of candidates on the ballot paper, so that any benefit or detriment resulting from placement of a name was equalised among the candidates.

The advantage accruing from a prominent placement on the ballot paper is well-established, and it doesn't only arise in elections that have very long ballot papers — even if there's only six or seven names on the ballot paper, there's still a measurable advantage to a high placement.

(And it seems to me that this is not an issue that would necessarily be addressed by e-voting. Even with an e-vote, the voter is presumably faced with a screen listing the candidates, and the list must be in some order. Arguably the problem would be worse; unless the screen was the size of a bath towel only part of the list could be visible at any time, and a huge advantage would accrue to those candidates whose names appeared on the screen initially, over those candidates whose names could only be seen by scrolling down.)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Looks like Labour are emerging from a decade and a half of decline and being in the doldrums. Their performance in the Locals and in Dublin has defied all the pundits. Definite signs of green shoots and another cause of concern to Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭bren2001

Sorting of the Euro ballot papers only began yesterday 

Eh, this started Saturday..

We haven't had a full day counting yet.

No, we had a full day yesterday, and if you include tallying and sorting the ballots from the local election ballots, 2 days.

People getting hung up on semantics.

My wife asked me, why we vote on Fridays, while Europe votes on Sundays. My answer was, a day off for teachers.

But in hindsight, it's because we take so long to sort, tally and count the votes, we need a head start, but we will still be last to finish. ;)

However you are on day three, at least, of complaining about our electoral system.

Nope, never said anything about PR-STV.

My complaint was about the streamlining of the voting process, giving people more options to vote (postal votes, early voting and the like)* and especially the counting afterwards.

*the turnout is well down from 2019, surely we have to look at ways to increase this? Or are you happy with it all the way it is.

That is the price we willingly pay for the best electoral system in Europe

Best?

Irish exceptionalism at its finest. Can you elaborate on this unprovable claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭bren2001

People getting hung up on semantics.

coming from the man whipping out dictionary.com who doesn’t understand that the colloquial use of the word “couple” doesn’t mean 2 in Ireland.

• Advertisement

A couple means 2, some want to redefine it as many more than 2

Advertisement