Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Annabella1

he is one of several really poor SF TD’s elected after that SF tide in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

He won't be standing for SF in the GE, independent possibly. Even SF are embarrassed by Browne

Interesting that when you add SocDem and Labour (the same party effectively), they have the pretty much same number of local seats as SF.

Couls SocLab emerge as a proper left choice for the future?.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not political expert, but I assume the rise of the independents is to blame for the fall in SF votes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Have you recently been kicked in the head by a horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I see SF are using the “we had too many candidates “ excuse now

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think if SF became a truly centre party, they would hoover up votes.

The reality is, in the past month, month and a half, FG have moved more from the left towards the Centre and let's be honest that's where most of us actually want to be.

Enforce the rules of our Republic and look after those who can't look after themselves. If a party can truly get that, we as a country would be doing alright. Sinn Fein can't see to grasp that, so the protest vote instead of going to them seems to have gone to independents.

SF really have to get their act together in the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I thought it funny Mary Lou blaming the fack people think SF are in government for the result.

Nobody thinks SF are in government just that they are in collusion with the government and that's how we are where we are today.

I don't think the carry on in Croke Park and the like helped either.

• Advertisement

• you are some liar spouting about tax free. It’s these types of statements that everyone on here knows you are full of hot air.

Peter misinformation flint!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Zero sympathy for Sinn Fein.

They were totally fixated on things that most people don't care about, like asylum seekers and Palestine.

They are a far left party that cannot be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Asylum seekers and Palestine have been all consuming for a lot of SF reps over the last 8 months.

Middle class trendy issues that are not the reality of issues facing the base.

Calling life long supporters and their families racists and far right for even questioning the position on such things was a no no, and yet it was commonplace.

There is a serious moralizing problem, a preachy problem in the left today.

Self inflicted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

So, the EU held their election on this specific date to help out the Irish government who then gave the yearly payment to carers to vote for them.

The same carers who opposed the last referendum. Have you a tinfoil hat by any chance.

Maybe they should have picked another date,but that might have clashed with the dole, or illness benefit, or disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'm getting a good chuckle here tonight at some of the recent posts stating in the year 2024 what is supposedly "far right" and "far left"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Mary Lou and Pearse are to blame. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sinn Fein would hoover up votes if they were still a nationalist party but instead they have turned into a beige neo liberal party. Spouting the left diarrhea from one side of their mouth and supporting the coalition from the other. Fake opposition and their core voter base, knows it.

Mary lou should be for the chop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't agree that Palestine is a middle class issue. Some of the strongest support for Gaza has been in working class areas (people flying the Gazan flag from their houses etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭LetticebCivil

I am sure the people being bombed will be delighted with the flags flying from houses thousands of miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

have you ever heard the phrase ‘an armalite in one hand and the ballot box in the other’ ?It nicely explains how SF operates, by their own admission.

That strategy hasn’t gone away, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What a desperate conspiracy theory rant. The date of the European elections is fixed by the European Commission. If the FF/FG parties control the European Commission as you so obviously believe, isn't that a great thing for Ireland, and you should start voting and campaigning for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

They’ve been “attacked” from all sides - left right and centre- the Independents and smaller more radical parties know that SF traditionally held some of their views whether it was on housing or immigration etc It’s left SF looking like an establishment party- fewer opportunities to take a populist stand on certain issues as the more radical parties have beat them to it.

In addition, Mary Lou is sounding dated and stale - her attack speeches on the government are falling flat - again, mainly due to the greater number of independent opposition members who have a louder and stronger voice.

If SF truely want power, they’ll have to show the public what their policies are instead of just moaning about the policies of other parties- that’s going to alienate their voters and at least some will “defect” to the more extreme independents - while o can’t stand Mary Lou, I’m not sure changing party leader will do any good right now.

Finally the number of candidates really diluted their votes- less would have been more for them - I think they’ll make gains in the next GE but only if they become clearer in what they stand for - it seems to me that their glory days of being an opposition only party are numbered - if they want power they’ll need to stand on their own two feet - that’s a big risk for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It's not a desperate conspiracy theory rant that FG/FF control when to release the carer allowance payments. It's actual fact.

Come on....we all know FGers are the sort who'd have forks in their hands if it were raining soup but you can't all be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is a lot of truth in this.

One of Sinn Fein's biggest achievements over the last two decades has been their ability to organise the deluded, the disillusioned, the conspiracy theorists, the moaners, the obstructionists and the clearly demented into a solid block of voters behind them. Like all achievements, the unexpected consequences is that this newly organised mob isn't loyal, they just turn to the latest politician willing to indulge their fantasies once Sinn Fein started ditching their core principles at pace to make themselves look normal to the rest of us.

As a result, Sinn Fein has lost these newly organised and newly motivated mob to the fringes. The likes of Paddy Holohan, elected to two different LEAs is emblematic of this Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering you've got the election dates wrong - they're normally in May, this is the first time they've been in June - it is a desperate conspiracy theory, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think it helps that their main "single issue" doesn't resonate with people right now (and that it's not something being pursued by the myriad of independents either). With Westminster elections next month the danger for SF is they'll double down on it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If the “single issue” is a united ireland, then certainly that’s far from the minds of most voters right now - in fact, pushing this will alienate people further- in the midst of the worst housing crisis in decades no less health service and immigration, people won’t have the bandwidth to listen to that rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I turned my back on SF when there wasn't a peep during COVID. Afraid to show any backbone.

Supported that pointless referendum, supported the hate speech bill until the referendum result. Falling inline with immigration.

Mary Lou has made of mess of 2 elections, I'm not sure how many chances she should get.

FF and FG jumped into bed together to neutralise the SF threat that's how much they had grown in the last decade. If SF weren't a threat you can be sure one of FF or FG would be sitting in opposition the past 4 years.

They still don't know how to be an opposition party. It's a pity because their is an appetite for change but no viable alternative.

They won't do anything in this term to change the next election but they should bring in Pearse now and work towards the election after and get back to been a nationalist party. There core is defecting to right wing and independents, they have done well to gain some of the centrist vote but have completely forgotten what that party stands for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭pureza

Wicklow Co Council,a commuter belt county,SF got 2 councillors elected out of 32,Fine Gael got 9,what does this tell us ?

One of the new Fine Gael councillors is Graham Richmond,a 1st cousin of Neil Richmond

In 3 of the 5 LEA's,no SF councillor at all including Greystones

Advertisement