Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think there were plenty salivating about SF turning more right but they didn't and have been proved correct on that one.

Eh, but they have.

They have talked about 'Open Borders', a far-right dog whistle.

They have flip flopped completely on the Hate Speech bill.

They want to kick a load of Ukrainians out of the country.

The fact is, SF have moved to the right. (FG has aswell by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Tgey have a huge reconstruction to do if they want to speak to voters long term. At heart SF are a single issue party. Take away the unification mandate and what exactly do they stand for? Do they even know I wonder?

This…

I couldnt believe that she was more or less calling the electorate 'stupid'.

MLMD is now the gift that keeps on giving for FF and FG.

The boys in West Belfast will have to take her out.

Too many Yes-men in SF. When it comes to times like these it comes back to bite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

She'll not be answering any calls from +44 numbers this week

• Advertisement

The issue is exemplified by the resident SF spokesperson who will take in code and never ever criticise MLMD here.

This, "we know better, you are wrong and stupid" attitude is one of the reasons why SF are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A prediction I made over the last couple of years was an impact in this election. FF and FG transfered strongly between themselves and it would have a significant impact in a GE

Slava Ukrainii

MLMD’s comment that SF did badly because some of the electorate thought they were in government and punished them for it is bizarre. I mean, really strange! For a woman who made sure she got time on every news bulletin bellowing across the floor of the Dail lambasting the government on this and that. Sadly for her, this is what people will remember now.

I can definitely see a version of that Goodfellas scene where Joe Pesci’s character is invited to a ceremony to become a made man only to be quickly and unceremoniously whacked happening with Mary Lou before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are talking about past generations, many of whom I actually knew, not O'Neil and McDonald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭pureza

For all the noise here,SF are not wrote off

They will be back with gusto at GE time and will definitely increase their T.D total

There is a lot of merit in the 10 to 20% or so of voters not turning out being in their pool

Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded

I doubt the online army will be calling Lyn Boylan,Lyn Boylan the 12th though if its the 12th cpunt she's elected on

One thing this election has shown is the various online armies are the most deluded of them all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The other option is to say she made another election f**k up, 3 in a row now

Honestly she is just a TikTok dream at the moment, all of her interviews and then a piss take of them, the really funny one I seen this morning was a mock up of her v Harris…..Harris just laughing at her, making funny comments and people actually laughing standing beside him

Then flicks to Mary lou going on about how she talked to people and they said they didn't want the government, real people 😂

Hilarious stuff

Someone in SF should just tell her to do the same as she did after the last election and disappear for a few weeks and hope everyone forgets

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think when the dust settles it will be realised that FF FG didn't gain a single vote in this election, they are down on their vote share again.
    They also took few from the Shinners,.
    Sinn Fein lost out to Independents as the result of a crisis, or a talked up crisis.

Yes they need to recover and adjust but the outlook for them is the same as it is for the incumbents in government.

As a commentator on RTE last night said, it is either fold and regress time for SF or a timely kick in the proverbials to pay attention to why they are losing out to independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

SF need to pivot bigtime.

Populism is not going to work. MLMCD needs to get her act together.

Health (5 year plan)

Housing (Clear costed plan communicated)

Childcare(Free)

Just focus on core issues, stop being so shouty, reshuffle their team. Otherwise they are fcuked come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The deluded online army is that the SF one that is virtually full time online.

SF will not dissappear but it will not be part of the next government IMO. The idea that it was only there vote that stayed st home is delusion. Ya a higher percentage but not all. The SF vote has trickled away. The independents hovered up some and so.e returned to Labour while it's anti immigration wing fractured off as well.

FF and FG have a pep in there step as has Labour. SF will reset but now it will have the Labour and SD taking it soft left vote and PBP pulling it harder to the left while the ultra right snaps at it heels over immigration.

The Dail will recess soon until September a give away budget and an election in late October.

Regularise the one off payment in social welfare giving 15-20 euro rise. Bring the marginal rate of tax up to 48k, increase the credits, reduce the USC and its game on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The revisionism on here is hilarious. I mean, look at this quote from one of the SF excuse-makers:

"When the dust settles, it will be realised that FF FG didn't gain a single vote in this election, they are down on their vote share again"

Has there ever been a post as delusional as that?

Firstly, both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have increased their national share of the vote since the 2020 general election, FG by a full two percentage points, Fianna Fail, only slightly. The quote is a lie, as is normal.

Secondly, those 2020 general election shares of the vote were sufficient to get them into government, with Sinn Fein in opposition.

Therefore, if the realisation when the dust settles is as predicted in the quote, the conclusion will be that this thread is pointless as Sinn Fein don't have a chance in hell of being in government.

Sinn Fein have a delusional whingebag as a leader, are devoid of policies that might work, and lack any credibility in their front bench.

Jennifer Carroll-McNeill summed it up that the only Shinner having a good day was Jonathon Dowdall who was selling his house for 800k before Sinn Fein reduced all the prices to 300k.

Just focus on core issues,

I have already said this and I think that is what will happen.

May take another GE election cycle or it might not. FF and FG's ability to mess up is a factor in the mix too.

I do think the immigration issues will recede and I think a lot of the motley crew of independents will show their feet of clay tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭pureza

I wouldn't disagree with all of that,I do think a lot of the under 30's stayed away but will be back in the GE and we know who has the majority of that vote,it's Sinn Féin

Sinn Féin took a seat off FF in my local LEA btw but at 11% it was poor

It was their first seat here

Double their previous outing.

Sinn Féin will have a 'think in' now and will fix this because the want for a UI referendum is strong,so Belfast are going to listen to the message on the ground and alter their message accordingly

Gaffe's like the €300k house,sack the Garda commissioner and Hijab Mary will be no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We can argue about small gains or not for the government but SF will get nowhere near the number of seats required to present a viable alternative at the next election .There seems little prospect of a large anti government vote getting behind any one group so as the opposition is so thinly spread its easy enough to see the government getting re elected .

• Advertisement

Did you honestly expect anything but nonsense from that account?

Sinn Fein are a joke, an incompetent joke. I have said it a long time

Plus as I posted before, online fake accounts can't vote. All the clowns running multiple accounts across the web have at a max one vote, even those clowns probably didn't even bother to vote because too busy slagging people online.

She was very silly making the comments she made yesterday on RTE about why they got hammered but she looked a bit shell shocked and obviously not thinking straight.

She'll regret saying it, because it will be brought up, again and again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Aontu got a good few votes in many constituencies which impacted Sinn Fein in particular making the difference between winning a seat and not winning a seat , Sinn Fein have lost some good old school republicans to Aontu over abortion/ transgender stuff etc . Two brothers in their sixties who used sell an phoblacht in our town back in the day were putting up posters and canvassing for local Aontu candidate for past month which definitely took a few hundred votes from Sinn Fein

She has done multiple interviews and made lots of silly comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That the problem SF have. A lot of people vote for them and have voted for them in the past as they are republicans at heart. However they may not agree with a lot of other left ideas that SF stand for.

It's a bit of a jump to Aontu though 😂

As has Harris and MM, However, for her to basically say that people didn't know what they were voting for, or were punishing SF, was silly, actually, was stupid.

She should keep her head down, because i expect things to be as bad this week when EU results are announced.

Has to be said, is this the type of Taoiseach the country needs? It’s a full on job and it sounds like she’s not up to the pressure and, more so, we’re sensitive negotiations are happening, the last thing you need is a leader with a mouth like a loose cannon.

Aontu almost got a seat in Monaghan, but SF added two new seats.
    Aontu votes are coming from elsewhere here it would seem…more conservative voters in other parties maybe? FG added one seat while FF lost one.

None of SF are up to it, I see SF supporters now saying Pearse should be the leader. He is more incompetent, if he thinks faux outrage and shouting is how you are a leader of a party then he is sadly mistaken. Everything he has tried to do politically has been a disaster as well. Oh I want to tax the rich, 140k one month and 100k the next. Disaster

• Advertisement

As a commentator on RTE last night said, it is either fold and regress time for SF or a timely kick in the proverbials to pay attention to why they are losing out to independents

We all know why.

SF supporters are more nationalist, nativist, anti-climate change and anti-immigration. The SF leadership and elite are nationalist but very much pro immigration and all things progressive.

One can't square that circle.

Advertisement