Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vented dryer rusting

Options
  • 10-06-2024 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

We keep washing machine and dryer in back porch. This is the second dryer in 3 years to be covered in rust in the outside and I'm worried that's a sign of internal rust (the washing machine is under the dryer and not affected so the dryer must be rusting from internally? When we use the dryer, we put the hose pipe out the porch door( my partner made.something for it to hang on).Any ideas why the vented one is rusting? If replace with a condensor dryer, would that sort the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

Most likely it wasn't painted very well. Can you post a picture ( include washing machine).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As @blackbox said, post a photo of the back porch etc, and also tell us how far you are from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

We are in cork city so far from sea..back porch door is open mostly to allow dogs go out the back to pee,.maybe that's the cause. It's just curious that the washing machine isn't rusting. Not sure if photo above is any use to ye

You mean vented well? If we get a condensor dryer, is that a better option for having less condensation in the porch?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any condenser dryer I've ever used make the area around them wetter. And don't dry the clothes well. Heat pump dryers are different but pricey - and slower.

Why is the vent pipe covered in bits of fabric?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

I see you are storing your cleaning materials, including Vanish, on top of the drier. Vanish is an oxidising agent that will cause corrosion. It is likely that some has been spilt.

Store your cleaning materials in a non metallic cupboard away from dampness in future.

Hanging dog nappies to dry:). I wonder if we made a hole at the back of the dryer and hung the ventilation pipe permanently through it, would that help.

Is there a risk of fire if it has corroded internally? Will research heat pump dryers, can't be much more expensive than going through a vented one every 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That twisted overly long vent pipe isn’t the best. An aluminum one would be better, and the fabric "patches" are scary. The straighter, shortest exhaust would be better.

Also, agreed about the chemical oxidation from products set on the machine is a no-no.

• Advertisement

The pipe came with the dryer, but maybe it's not properly attached. Should we replace the dryer , is there a chance corroded internally too?

Yes, exactly that and the Miracle-grow which appears to be leaking too.

• It's most likely caused because the area the dryer is in is cold. They're not air tight, so the steam gets into the cabinet to some extent and condenses.

Also, it's a relatively budget brand so the painting will be pretty basic compared to more expensive ones that use better coatings.

The damage isn't coming from the chemicals above unless you're pouring them down the front of the dryer, which is unlikely. Also there's damage at the bottom that seems to be coming from the inside. The steel is likely entirely unpainted inside.

In terms of running cost, get a heat pump dryer. The good ones are extremely good. The cheaper ones, can be a bit hit and miss.

Condenser dryers are a pile of nonsense and just overheat clothes and are extremely expensive to run. The only way they're in any way energy saving is if they're discharging all the heat back into the house, which yours would not be in a porch.

Vented dryers are a bit like putting a fan heater in the yard. They just exhaust all the heat to the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There is no way a 2-3 year old dryer should be rusting like that. I replaced a 20 year old one in the garden shed and it was fine. The new one is in 3 years again no problems.

Why is the vent pipe not going outside?

Heat pump dryers are not for everyone, much like EVs, they can save you lots of money but they work a bit differently. Some people just want thier clothes cooked as quick as possible.

For most users I would just recommend a vented dryer with a proper vent fitted.

The washing machine has traces of rust too, there is a serious moisture build up in that room.

We hang the vent out the front door but I reckon it's not properly sealed to the machine itself and that's causing the rusting. My partner is usually very handy but for some reason he hasn't a clue what to do to correctly vent(or is pretending he doesn't know to avoid the work!) No idea who would have to get to do the proper venting? Its looking cheaper and easier to get a heat pump one. We only use dryer once a week or so for tea towels and giving other clothes a quick ten minutes spin. Time isnt a major factor at all for us so if anyone has any recommendations for a heat pump one, then may have to go with that. I'll get himself to give a quick look at the back first though so see if vent looks properly sealed

I can't work out how the upper section of the dryer is rusting given that the top cover and face plate is plastic. Is there rust on the sides and rear of the dryer at all? Is there ever water near or around the dryer? Is the paint peeling or is that brown just staining on the exterior?

I do wonder if what Nelson Puny Lightning said is part of the story where the dryer is venting internally (due to a fault) and condensing on the inside... but still struggling to see how it would end up like that.

Plus Cork City isn't far from the sea in relative terms. There could be an element of salt corrosion there too, but as you already mentioned then we'd expect that the washing machine would also be somewhat affected.

• It comes down to the fact that the internal side of those panels is probably unpainted.

Vented tumble dryers are pretty cheap and cheerful. None (or almost none - Miele may still do) of the manufactures produce them anymore other than as very low end products. They're just very, very basic.

Dryers don't have two drums. The drum your clothes tumble around in is the only one and it's just sealed with a felt or similar seal. Some of the old premium machines used a fan at the back that sucked the air through the elements and out, so you got very little steam leaking. A lot of them blow hot air into the drum and the steam will go all over the place if the vent is in anyway obstructed or slow moving.

Most likely the cabinet is full of fluff, there's water dripping down the insides and it's just rotted away the cheap mild steel it's made from.

Unfortunately those machines are made with a short lifespan in mind.

I note the washing machine is also beginning to rust, but not as badly - it's likely down to the dryer leaking large amounts of steam into a cold room.

Hqve had washing machine in porch for last 20 years and this is only the 2nd one have had. Didn't have a dryer until recently enough and both vented dryers have had similar happen. Will try heat pump one , there's space in the spare room upstairs so we'll just put it there and should get a good few years from it hopefully. The sooner that EU legislation comes in whereby white goods have to have a longer life span the better. Anyone have a heat pump dryers that they can personally recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had a Bosch one for 6 years with no issues; it is however a Serie6 9kg absolutely top-line model, current equivalent is €900.

I have it permanently drained, but it can run on its water cassette, and I did do so when I needed to move it out of the way for a kitchen refurb - does about two loads before needing emptying

Cheers. We'll try to hold out until sales and look for a Bosch,and cross fingers current one doesn't burst into flames in meantime. Have spent 700 easily on the 2 vented dryers that have rusted and only lasted 4 years, so it's worth paying the 900.

• Advertisement

• Just avoid Hotpoint and Hoover.

Bosch / Siemens / Neff (BSH appliances) are good.

AEG, Electrolux and Zanussi (Electrolux) tend to be good.

Whirlpool is hit and miss.

LG is generally good.

Samsung can be very into electronics but quality varies depending on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Not that it is any help but that looks like the exact dryer I have, For 4 years (up until a month ago, dryer is now indoors) I have had mine outside in a plastic keter box with the vent going into the "universal condensed dryer thing" basically put water into a plastic box and the hot air blows into that, we also leave the roof open on the keter when the dryer is on to allow extra ventilation, or partially open if it was raining, if not the keter would be soaking, never had rust issues from the coldest to the hottest days.

What you have seems a better set up, im not very DIY but could the vent be too long? it looks a good 6-8 foot from the back of the dryer until the steam needs to get out the other end.

There is nothing really you can do now, use it until it goes, but if you could drill a hole behind the dryer and have the vent going out that way it may be a better option (again I am just guessing)

Advertisement