Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads are on an overnight flight to SA tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Good to get them out there as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

JOB is literally the second choice fullback for the national team and an excellent player. Who could we possibly get that would be better than him but still content to sit on the bench behind Keenan?

Jesus the grinding negativity is unbelievable, win lose or draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Do we know who's on the plane, presumably yesterday's 23 + a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think there is 30 players gone

Have to bring minimum 9 front rows which would be minimum 26 and would assume there is 3 x 9s etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ryan Baird's "Bang-Bang Bart" celebration, while perhaps not shattering certain stereotypes about Leinster rugby, should be encouraged moving forward.

(watch the highlights here from 2:31)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah Leo was saying it was a scramble to get flights with people likely spread over multiple flights.

Shows how the travel situation on short notice is really not ideal at all when SA are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They're right though. At one point you were asked if you actually enjoy watching leinster and you said you only enjoy when they win. But do you even enjoy when they win?

They've beaten connacht and Ulster in the last 2 matches and you're still not happy. Whinging and moaning about connacht being rubbish and Ulster being under strength.

I know why I follow sport. I'm sure it's not the same reason you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I didn't get to watch the game until yesterday. Always find it's very different to view the game in those circumstances with far less emotion involved. It was a good win and a decent enough performance. Definitely issues persist with our accuracy, particularly in attacking positions but it was slightly improved but that was also potentially a result of our pack being relatively dominant.

We will definitely need to improve overall if we're to win this weekend but there was enough there to suggest they're shaking off the Toulouse defeat mentally and looked fairly hungry. With an eye to this weekend, it went fairly well with no injuries and I don't think there was anyone dead on their feet in the closing stages. I thought Doris and McCarthy were very good up front, making impacts on both sides of the ball and big plays. The front row was relatively quiet around the field but totally dominant in the scrum which has become a relative strength in recent months.

Worth noting that Ross Byrne was involved in the scoring phase of all five tries he was on the field for. Never going to be a top level athlete but he knows when to pull the trigger and gives good shape to the attack around him. He did his basics well, drawing in defenders.

Not sure how Ulster were scoreless at half time. They were in the ascendancy overall for the first quarter but just couldn't get the job done. Turning down shots at goal didn't work out for them but they probably had to back their maul at that point to get them back into it.

Job done but next week is going to be a bigger test and the Bulls pack and set piece is going to give a far stronger account of itself. KLA and Moodie being out will hurt their attack and their kick chase game but they're set to have MVS and Cootzee back in their line up which is going to be a big boost for their forward effort. I can see us reverting to 6/2 and would expect this one will take a lot from our legs.

• Advertisement

I hope leinster stay 5/3 this week with Ringrose on the bench. The more I see the 6/2 the less I think it suits leinster. Maybe it's the fact that they don't really trust mcgrath, but 6/2 really means they only have one sub to cover the backline, but they're not going to have any impact sub in the backs.

If JGP was injured, would they start mcgrath? I'd like to see Foley given the responsibility but I think they'd start mcgrath.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

It would be McGrath, Leo doesn't trust young 9s.

I'm not a fan of McGrath at this stage at all but we've been somewhat snookered into his selection at this point. Cormac Foley has missed a lot of rugby over the last couple of seasons which has prevented him really developing and maturing as a scrum half. He'd be a perfect fit for the Leinster system currently in terms of his ability to cover other positions but he didn't play from December 2nd until April 20th and that has been the story of his career to date.

When he played a few weeks ago against Ulster, it was clear that he needs more time in the role to develop. I wouldn't be selecting him on the bench in a big game at this point either. He's simply too ponderous and his pass selection/accuracy isn't exactly superb either (pass quality is obviously better than McGrath right now but that's a low level to compare to). He was done at the base in his own half for taking too long against Ulster and probably should have been whistled at least one more time after that. He wasn't good in South Africa either, to my eye.

McGrath is rapidly going backwards to the point where I'd expect him to fall out of our first choice 23 next season (if Foley stays fit) but I can understand keeping him there for the moment as he's the safer bet.

Gunne is the coming man.. ideal too that he has played with Prendergast through the age age grades.. will Leo be willing to back him the playing time required next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Agreed, but Gunne is nowhere near any matchday 23 unless LMcG & Foley are unavailable.

Foley needs time and it was clear that when LMcG came on v Connacht he went to 9 and Foley went to the wing (in fairness, where he has history). I would have moved LMcG to wing and kept Foley at 9 that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Leinster haven't really discovered a top quality young 9, it is one area which they have failed so not sure the statement is true

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Utter nonsense some of the negativity, win a quarter final by 23 YES TWENTY THREE points at a canter, get narrowly beaten by Toulouse in Extra Time in the Euro Final and have a semi final to look forward to this weekend with close to a full side and we are strong favs with the bookies to win the URC despite having an away semi and possibly an away final.

Honestly not sure what people can realistically expect. Suspect if won both cups they would still be glass half empty.

Try being a supporter from literally any other team (bar Toulouse) and you would be falling over backwards to be Leinster.

Ulster could play that match even with a full side 10 times and I'd say they would struggle to win 1 even with Keenan off playing Olympics.

Yeah they tried Nick Mccarthy and Paddy Patterson and they were grand but not top tier. and Foley was unlucky with injury. Camt really fault the effort to find a home grown 9. It just hadn't worked out.

Patterson wd playing well for mu stereo until he got injured. Wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake Murray next seadon as he ages out.

That it, none of the players have really stood up. You can't really pick a young player in a spot if you don't have a young player

Every other position Leinster in reality has developed a player and they have got game time. I think it is something Leinster need to look at and see why they can't seem to identify quality 9s

"Leinstertainment"

Even Mads got that in for a laugh on Premier sports, about the Predergast kick

• Advertisement

Yes a professional rugby player playing professional 7s rugby at the biggest competitions is "real amateur ear nonsense"

By the way, "amateur era" was Ireland with no professional players and no 7s program, so even if we had a 7s team he would be working and then training in the evening.

I'd fear for Foley coming on against the Bulls tbh, and McGrath had a very good game when he came in on Saturday. Watched it back last night and he switches the point of attack so well, particularly in the lead-up to VDF's try.

On Prendergast, one thing I noted was that a couple of times, he cleaned up dirty ball and was able to take contact and keep the attack going, once from a rubbish Frawley pass and the second from the overthrow which led to the Molony try. The chip and kick-pass was a thing of beauty but I hope we never hear of it again.

Henshaw was my MOTM, he's on fire at the moment and is such a complete player, links very well with Osborne too.

Definitely a few things to work on this week, a couple of lineout malfunctions with both Sheehan and Kelleher and I thought the front row struggled to get into the game in open play.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Agree on Henshaw & Luke. Thought Doris was MOTM. Prendergast gets involved, but doesn't get over involved, unlike 10s who charge into rucks in the opposition red zone. Luke was always, and remains, a brilliant rugby player. But the passing, ohh, the passing ….

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If Deegan had managed to fire an offload to Osbourne after catching Prendergast's volley one-handed there was a sensational try in the making. Instead McGrath ended up pelting the ball back behind where the initial chip came from.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I thought the front row struggled to get into the game in open play.

i agree with this, but i would absolutely take the trade off of them becoming a dominant scrummaging line with a drop off in open play.

Against the bulls, if we dont at least get parity we could be in tough afternoon.

Why should Gunne be nowhere near the 23 next season bar injury?

He is an elite talent much like Prendergast at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's the Leinster way.

There probably won't be a whole lot of gametime on offer, with Foley and McGrath knocking around. Maybe Gunne goes on the Emerging Ireland tour. If he's smart he'll be pushing to be allowed to go and play AIL at every opportunity when he's not featuring for Leinster. He can't rely on Leinster coaches to make good decisions for his development.

Agreed. The Bulls used the scrum in Dublin as a way to really get into the game. It was largely our second string front five (McCarthy the only starter) that started in March but we were under massive pressure in that opening quarter. If we can lock that down, it will go some way to limiting their approach.

Unfortunately, we're likely to see Adamson, Evans or Whitehouse as the referee on the day also which nobody really wants so it could be a coin toss.

Oh for sure, but with a front row like Porter, Sheehan and Furlong, it's a shame if they can't get involved in open play.

But the scrum has been massive this year, no one has got the better of us and we've played some very large teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Advertisement