Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

They need to Pivot one way or the other.

They won't be able to to keep their "original" core voter base happy whilst also trying to win seats in the centre.

Make your mind up and choose what way you want to go.

Oh, and change leader.

I have a lot of time for Louise O'Reilly and she is more than capable, but you know what way they would shift if she was to become leader.

Only other two that spring to mind would be Matt Carthy or Mairead Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

You saw the same thing in Greece when Syriza got power (a party that Sinn Fein was very closely aligned with).

They were great at roaring and shouting in opposition but were exposed as clueless and incompetent in government. You don't hear much about them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No more or less than us when FF incompetence cheered on by FG led to the Troika coming in, Syriza hadn't a chance up against the juggernaut they were up against.
    We had to swallow the pills as Greece had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yeah, Syriza were great when Sinn Fein were aligned with them, when they ruined Greece, that alignment was quietly shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Thsts the problem. I think people do want change, or at least options. FG/FF are sitting firmly in the centrist position right now. Times are changing and the loyalty to these parties isn’t guaranteed any longer. There isn’t a viable third alternative though. Labour/Greens/SD aren’t big enough to make it in their own or together. The biggest otherwise is SF but they can’t get their message across because it changes as often as the weather and you don’t need a degree in economics to see through many of their policies. So people have an appetite for change but they’re not stupid either. I think a competently run party with credible policies could make good headway in garnering a lot of votes butSF is not that party. It also makes them a bit of a toxic partner in any potential rainbow coalition b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Anybody else suddenly getting bombarded with tiktoks and memes on whatsapp of Mary lous comments and flip flops. Someone seems to have put them all together. Spectacular selection of own goals by herself and Eoin (I wrote a book you know) O'Broin.

Look what happened here - FF ruined Ireland and are now aligned with FG because FG rehabilitated FF. They both need each other to stay in power. That is undeniable.
    No sour grapes there from me by the way, I said at the time FF would be back.

Why? Because political forces like the FF or SF or FG ones don't just disappear overnight. They take their disappointments, rejections and dust themselves down, readjust and go again.

The one thing that comes through loud and clear is that leadership matters.

Martin (right or wrongly, and in my view the electorate give him an undeserved free pass for his role in the various disastrous Bertie governments) is seen as a wise elder statesman and Harris is viewed as a breath of fresh air.

Mary Loo and Pearse Doherty compare very badly at present. They only have one gear and it's marked 'roaring\shouting'. Once they need to adjust course on the fly they are incapable of it and you see the results in count centres all around the country.

Unfortunately for SF, there's no sign of any credible replacements so they might as well keep going with Statler and Waldorf at the helm until the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Party breakdown of Limerick City and County council, 40 seats in total

• Fine Gael – 13
    • Fianna Fáil – 10
    • Independents – 5
    • Sinn Féin – 3
    • Labour – 3
    • Social Democrats – 2
    • Independent Ireland – 2
    • Green Party – 1
    • Aontú – 1

Government parties with 60% of the seats while the local hospital is being described as a warzone… The mind truly boggles

It shows too that if you pull in any old passer by go stand for you you just end up with mediocrity. SF have a few competent looking people like Louise O’Reilly and Matt Carty but go beyond those and the quality falls off very quickly. FF & FG have a competent subs bench and that instilled more confidence in an electorate. A lot can happen over 5 years and you need good people in the wings who can step up. SF don’t Fahy have that luxury that I can see.

• Advertisement

Doesn't that speak to the paucity of credible alternatives?

I get that but who else can quickly fix that? I live in the area and that hospital is a shítshow. This is also a local election so won’t impact the hospital. However, assuming FF/FG/G are in opposition next term, I’m not sure you can turn arguing the Limerick hospital issue very quickly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The parties of Government currently have 53% of the confirmed seats in the Local Election (442 out of 826)

SF have just short of 11% , Lab/SD are just behind them (84 seats combined vs 90 for SF) , if they were to come to some agreement on transfers/candidate selection before the GE they could do quite a bit better than that 10/11% level.

Hard to see how SF go from 10-12% to the necessary 35/40% of seats for them to be in realistic range of being in Government.

The GE will now almost certainly be October/November, barring a dramatic change the current Government will likely be returned perhaps with a few Independents in tow (or maybe Independent Ireland as a block of 5/6 seats).

That Dramatic change could happen of course, but the tail winds are with the Government with interest rates coming down and the change in UK Government meaning the Rwanda nonsense will be cancelled leading to a significant drop in the cross border numbers.

I really don't see the point of having two small explicitly social democratic (note the lower case) parties.

They should merge and call themselves, I don't know….the SDLP. 😀

All you need is one credible alternative

I get that but who else can quickly fix that?

I'm not interested in who can quickly fix it, I'm interested in who is willing to fix it, and I can name 3 parties off the top of my head who now feel they won't need to because they get a nice share of the votes anyway.

I live in the area and that hospital is a shítshow. This is also a local election so won’t impact the hospital.

The local candidates are representing FFG. If local FFG called for the hospital to be fixed the national govt would have to listen. Where's the motivation to do that now?

However, assuming FF/FG/G are in opposition next term, I’m not sure you can turn arguing the Limerick hospital issue very quickly.

The hospital has been decimated for years, it's gonna take years to fix, but it's getting worse, not better with FFG in power

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree on the merger but perhaps not the name 😉

This GE might be a bit too soon for a full merger to happen, but a sensible agreement around transfers and candidate selection might be the interim step for now.

Are you 100% sure that the issues with Limerick hospital are 100% political in nature and can only be fixed through the political system?

This seems to completely let the people who have operational accountability for that hospital off the hook. Shouldn't they be under the microscope as to why they are performing so poorly when compared to their peers?

I think we are unlikely to have a GE before the budget is passed and the bulk of the subsequent measures felt in January. Harris could potentially call for a GE in July to avoid the winter blues and piggyback on the success of Fridays elections. Go to the people while they seem to be asleep at the wheel and all that… Most likely February 2025 I'd say though

The problems around UHL aren't really solved in Limerick though - They are solved in Clare and Tipperary with the drive to restore Ennis/Nenagh hospitals.

There is no "fix" for UHL that happens in Limerick unless they could magically double the size of the hospital overnight.

I opened a thread to ask the question - be interesting to see what the supporters of either have to say.

• Advertisement

The problem with February is that the any by-elections caused by TD's winning MEP races (and there will be at least a few) have to happen before mid December.

It doesn't make any sense to hold several by-elections in December and then try to run a GE in February.

And that's before you get into all the generally accepted issues with a January/February Election.

I think they'll have the budget a little early and then go for an early November GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

MLMD needs to resign as party leader and assuming her ego wont let her, she should be removed. This is if SF want any real chance at the GE.

Unfortunately as other have mentioned, outside of a handful of some decent people the fall off is enormous.

Why they are losing out to independents?… their last 4 years in opposition makes it glaring obvious.

The hospital is run by the HSE, the HSE is answerable to the govt. The govt have done nothing to alleviate pressure on the hospital. Remember this?

Agreed. But it is within the powers of the govt of the day, via the health minister, to do as you point out. But they won't be doing it now if they have support anyway. 2 people have died because of that same hospital recently from sepsis, and that's only the ones we heard about so far!

The people of Limerick need to quickly look at taking out private health insurance or risk death by UHL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I respectfully dis-agree and it is also short odds on a GE this year happening. No way are the government parties going to allow SF a chance to regain a foothold.

Will be an October election IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

It will be this year - no one is going to wait till march with the inevitable yearly trolley crisis still on going.

Agreed. I don’t think there’s any alternative. Giving SF 8-9 months to regroup doesn’t sound like it’s in the government parties interests. After tge budget when there’s that feel good factor now does seem like the way to go. I think if SF swept the boards at the week Ed bd we’d definitely be looking at the latest possible date for an election but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I think this thread title should be changed from "Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma" to "When will the higher command in Belfast replace Mary Lou" or something.

When I think of her, I think of the 3 return trips (at least) she is know to have taken to America in the Spring - one a few weeks before Paddies Day, one a few weeks after that, and then one to Boston recently. Did anyone see her in economy class?

You might be right but also remember they need the Greens to support the budget, the Greens did not do very well on Friday to put mildly, so they might be apprehensive about elections pre-2025

Also while they could bring back the budget day and have everything legislated for before going to the polls, most of the actual effects of the budget won't kick in until January 1st. Agreed that there are winter blues to deal with which is not good for any candidate.

Good point about the by-elections also, no point in by-elections in December and GE in March, one solution to that is they could legislate to have them as early as next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Did Mary Lou study maths at her €20k a year school? Ran too many candidates in the locals this time. Ran too few in the GE in 2020. I'd be looking for my money back.

• Advertisement

I think they lost out to independents because the immigration crisis was blown hugely out of proportion TBH. It was weaponised.
    As I said earlier, you could see people here (and more importantly elsewhere) salivating thinking the Shinners would turn hard right in response. I.E. they were weaponising the issue.

As it turned out the hard right garnered very little and we have instead a rag tag group of independents who probably courted that vote.
    And look, nobody who steps up for the leadership of SF will be acceptable to the usual crew. How many times did Leo Varadkar fail at the ballot box for FG and we heard none of the clamour from these people for him to go. Be careful taking them as a coherent view on leadership.
    IMO MLMD will be given a run at the GE although there may be moves against her. Not seeing any evidence of it though.

Advertisement