Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luna84

I don't know what you done but as I said it played perfectly for me and countless other people on the internet not just here on boards.ie

Anyway there is always game breaking bugs in Bethesda games. I found out in my Oblivion play through and also my Skyrim playthrough both times my saves glitched. The trick is and I done it while playing Starfield is manually save often like very often and alternate the saves so you can always reload a save not far ago if the save glitches or like you somehow get stuck under the spacecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Eventually started as I was at my wits end with nothing to play across 4 consoles so it was a toss up between this and Baldurs but went with this as I know I will drop off for Elden DLC.

10 or so hours in and I am enjoying it way more than I thought I would, the sheer scale of it is really is flabbergasting even though its probably worlds of nothing when you think about it thats all space and the galaxies really are.

Stumbled across the Apollo mission by complete accident and that stuff is just really cool.

Edit

Booted up again during lunch in work and now I have an idea on how to add all mission markers to the map it makes way more sense to me. think its going to be one I am really going to enjoy.

Post edited by recyclops on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I gave this another go since the update looked promising and I can opt in on Steam since I play on PC. Got bored after about 40 hours first time around. Performance seems pretty much the same for me but I never really had any issues there, playing in 1440p with all med to high setting I get 60+fps so at least they didn't make it worse.

The new city maps are a big improvement but I find it hard to give them much credit for adding such basic stuff that should have been there at launch.

They added the ability to decorate the interior of your ship. It's basically the same interface used for building outposts but you can now access it inside your ship and it allows you craft stuff and moved things around. Before all lose items in your ship would be moved to ships cargo if you edited the ship in any way in the ship builder but that doesn't happen any more.

I didn't experience the form ID bug or bugged quests but I think I got bored before making it far enough into the game for those to be an issue.

It's a decent update to a poor game imo. I don't know why but it's just…. boring, the whole game is. The game world doesn't feel connected in the way that Oblivion or Skyrim did because it's not connected and that really doesn't help with immersion. It's as wide as an ocean and as deep as puddle. I'm going to leave installed on my SSD for now but it might not stay there for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The xBox version of the update is scheduled to be available today. Wasn't there earlier this morning.

• Advertisement

How long before the hate subsides and people start talking about what a great game this is?

I think the dlc this year along with vehicles will be their Phantom Liberty moment.

I also think bringing it to PlayStation would be a fantastic move and would definitely boost its popularity and reduce the negative talk which we all know is mostly people who have never played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not hate, and it's not the same kind of hate Cyberpunk got for the bait and switch fraud it was at launch. This simply isn't a great game, and no DLC will make it great because unlike Cyberpunk it doesn't have the potential to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was thinking of asking the nephew for my SX back to give it another go now it has 60fps, but I think I'll wait longer. Possibly even for the inevitable PS5 release which may have all the bells and whistles at that stage. Although, I read last night that it could be released in the next few months on PS5, an alleged unconfirmed inside leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well that was predictably disappointing. None of the broken story line bits fixed, but now it's broken at 60fps, so I guess that's a positive way of looking at it; I can now land at 3 ports and be spawned under my ship with my head buried in the underside of my ship, unable to get out from under it but at least the view is smother for a few seconds before I have to reload from the last save. Still not having any urge to play any more.

This simply isn't a great game

I thought it was a great game and enjoyed my over 110 hours with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think any argument that includes 'we all know' automatically undermines itself. If that was even remotely true there would be no need to say it.

I don't think the negative response had anything to do with the platform limitations. The steam reviews themselves paint a clear picture from people who obviously already bought it on PC, why would they care if it wasn't on PS5?

I understand some folks like it, some may even love it, many hate it (going by reviews, forums, and statistical steam results). I found it massively disappointing, poorly written and engineered with half baked implementations of good ideas and most of all just boring. To Cordell's point the things that are wrong with it are not deails like bugs or levelling/loot systems but how it's fundamentally put together. If you like that great, but for anyone who doesn't there is no fixing this with DLC or anything similar and Bethesda have proven themselves the least capable of doing so lately regardless (looking at you so call Next-Gen Fallout4 patch….) I mean they're incredibly proud of adding 60FPS, welcome to the acceptable frame rate of the noughties.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

When it comes to gaming "we all know" is a valid contributing factor due to the medium having a tendency to gather a group mentality. For example, your argument that the game is not good. That's the group decision made by the gaming community which in my opinion comes weighted on the negative aspects of gaming.

I can confidently say that we do actually know that many people have not even played the game.

Besides all that, I don't think I got my point across very well. What I mean is when will we be at the point where people who don't like the game stop joining discussions to tell us they don't like the game and when will we be at a point where they just don't care to even discuss it, leaving those who enjoy the game to chat about the gameplay and share the8t experiences, ship builds etc.

Anyways, I enjoy the game. I "finished" it so haven't played in a while but I was watching my nephew play it recently and he had spent 3 days building a ship that absolutely blew me away and has me itching to play it again.

The performance/quality modes on xbox are fantastic. We are by no means in a 60fps as standard world for consoles and probably never will be because developers will always want better graphics over fps. The 30/40/60 options they provide are very well received, yet we have people whinge that 60fps has been standard for 20 years.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

I finished the story, thought it was decent but did not get into any ship building, etc. Hated the ending. While I enjoyed my time with Starfield don't know if I have any inkling to revisit. Definitely worth a play through alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I did the one playthrough, hated the new game+ starting with no money. Plus I missed the cheating for money by stealing it from puddles. I loved the ship building stuff, and once that was taken away from me by the locking down of the puzzles I immedately lost interest tbh.

might go back when the new DLC comes out, especially if there is a mod (for console) that gives me more cash…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I mostly enjoyed it too, although the final few hours became bit of a grind. I had no interest in the base or ship building elements. I don't see myself playing through it again, it would have to be something special (like the remastered Witcher 3).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Creation kit dropped tonight, so you should finally start seeing some good mods.

Oh and a release date for the first DLC, but that's not as important.

How does this run on pc? Just copped I can play it on pc now so might give it a go. I'm a bit below recommended GPU but above recommended everything else; 3060 12gb, 32gb ram, Ryzen 7 5800x.

I also ask as I see the SN850 2Tb can be got for €160 on Amazon.de at the moment and seems like a deal… anyone know if these things need a heatsink?

Plays well for me on a 6800XT. That's a great price for the 2tb 850. Don't know if it needs a heatsink but my 1tb version came with one.

Downloading now anyway, we'll find out how she runs, both the game and my pc as this is the first game I'm trying on it after spending 30 minutes debating would I buy Factorio, Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere Project. Was leaning towards DSP as I felt a space itch, then remembered I had Gamepass Ultimate so hey. I've only the OG experience on Series X to compare it to, and I demand my 60fps so will see how much I've to sacrifice for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

It should play perfectly well, with DLSS.

If it doesn't come with one, it doesn't. And most of the times even if it does it really doesn't need one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I would always put a HS on a >=Gen4 top end drive. Depending on overall ambient heat inside your case you may or may not end up throttling under heavy use but long term high heat is never healthy for your components. If your MBD has a HS for M2s, even a simple array then consider using it otherwise for peace of mind if nothing else I'd add at least a simple one.

No heatsinks on my mobo (B550M DS3H) and something I never even considered when building tbh. Have a 1tb SN770 that doesn't have a HS. I didn't pull the trigger anyway, genuinely don't need it right now. Jut handy the 850 is PS5 compatible so I'll eventually get one.

Starfield is downloading. Not sure why but terrible download speed for it last night so it didn't finish...

Advertisement