Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low turnout at polling stations.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Who is "they"? It's up to the individual voter to ensure they are on the correct register and/or removed from a previous register.

"They" cannot be expected to track people moving house, county, country.

The registers do have a lot of names on it that could be removed. But the people, or family need to be the ones to request the changes or removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

instead of compulsory voting, just get on with it and let people have postal ballots

The turnout in Germany was 65% nationally and a lot of that is due to the fact that people can get a postal ballot for no reason. So, if they are off visiting their parents or hiking in the mountains or whatever (and being germans they'd have that planned months in advance) they can get a postal ballot.

Theres some worries that it is open to fraud, but in essence someone would need to steal your post to get your election notification letter and after applying for a postal vote, steal your post again to get your ballot. Is a party or entity REALLY going to do that in an organised way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Councils used to call door to door to do it; was the rate collectors job then continued at lower frequency after rates were abolished.

Also, you used to be removed after a period of non-renewal.

Neither happens now, so the register is full of irrelevancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

People have no real power; the system is rigged.

If Ireland has proper democracy, then we would not have the same people in power since the foundation of the State - FFG. Consider all the times there should have been a change in Government, yet we still have FFG. This is not democracy in action.

Compare Ireland to the extreme case of North Korea.

In North Korea, you know you have no choice who the next Government is going to be. If you speak out you'll probably end up in some horrible prison camp.

In Ireland, you think you have a choice. It's a much better way to keep the dissenting voices at bay. If you complain, you'll just be ignored.

Some people see it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

When I was in my 20s, I never voted in the local elections. My poling card was still linked to my parents address, and I lived on the otherside of the country. I had no interest in travelling to vote, and since I was renting, and moving home every few years, I had no interest in moving my voting address.

It's really only since I became a home owner, that I started to care about the local elections. Only now, am I impacted by what a lot of councilors are trying to do

I imagine its still a similar situation for lots of college students, and young workers.

General elections will have a higher turn out.

I thought I read before, that in any democratic country, a turnout of close to 70% is considered amazing. This is not an Ireland only phenomenon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

People would rather give out on social media than actually get up and go vote. There are so many here that just can't be bothered to vote and don't seem to realise that elections are won at the ballot box and not on twitter.

Also in my opinion a lot of people in Ireland are fairly comfortable and are happy with FFG. I'm not aligned to any party but I will not vote for a party who wants people who work and are on fairly modest wages to pay more taxes to help those who pay very little.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

An issue with postal and electronic voting is that is open to coercion i.e. you don't know if someone is standing over the voter telling them how to vote. It also allows the possibility of vote selling by taking a photo of how you have voted - in principle this should be less possible at the ballot box.

Imagine if all elections were done entirely with remote voting - there would be endless arguments over ballot tampering, vote selling and coercion.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Resources get directed elsewhere. I'd say it was a huge waste of time and money to have someone going door to door.

No doubt there are names on the register that don't need to be there. But it's not something that can be automated. It needs active input from the voter themselves. Automatically adding people, or automatically removing people would cause uproar and cries of conspiracy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I didnt vote because, who do you vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So some people don't vote because there aren't enough options?

Why aren't there enough options, in the minds of these people I wonder?

We still have FF/FG because they are the largest parties in the state still - why - because no other group has managed to get a number of people together in a coherent fashion over a long enough period of time to challenge that - why? Maybe the people who vote get what they vote for.

Perhaps if the silent majority had gotten out and voted these things might change over time but what tends to happen is that FF/FG get a kicking every now and again over specific policies, then end up having to change their policies/prioritise specific areas based on what the electorate has wanted ahead of other parties being able to organise themselves fast enough.

I think that's a good thing with democracy.

There's plenty choice out there, but not necessarily parties/individuals that are organised well enough to really imact the status quo.

People who don't vote for the sake of not voting really need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Abstaining from a vote is just as valid a choice as picking a candidate.

It is functionally no different to having compulsory voting with an option on the ballot for "None of the above".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they should introduce that option, without making voting compulsory.

allow people to actively state they are not voting; as it currently stands they have no way to track that sentiment. if you don't vote, no-one knows why. if you do and spoil your vote, it's not tracked and is essentially untrackable.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭thebronze14

This is often overlooked. For an election a few years ago I was sent polling cards to two seperate locations for example. Also my wife and my parents never got polling cards this time. They went down anyway and cast their votes. I wonder if some people in the same situation didn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's not.

Some effort is required to vote - even if it is to spoil it with your own "none of the above" tick box.

Compulsory voting requires some effort.

Not voting doesn't require any effort whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

They should add a unique personal identifier to the registry, ie your PPSN. Then if you register in a new district the registrar can cross-check with other registrars' databases to ensure there's no duplication. Easy. Several members of our family still have votes at "home" as well as their current address, no onus to let the registrar know you've moved or emigrated.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you register online now, they do - but there's millions of existing registrations without.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

simple, there should be a single register.

as mentioned elsewhere, someone reregistered my wife at an address she's not lived at in two decades (her parents house), using an address format the family have never used. a single register would allow instant cross-checks to prevent that happening.

I always spoil my vote.

I have never missed an election, and will always spoil my vote in the absence of a 'none of the above' option.

If you too would like to do that, it is easy to do. Just write 'spoil' or a message of your choice across your ballot paper.

Spoiled votes are counted. Without them, we'll never get actual real change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Spoiled votes are counted. Without them, we'll never get actual real change.

not sure if serious?

If you disagree with anything I've posted, please do air your views.

Otherwise it appears like an attempt to close me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

How can you get real change by spoiling your vote?

They are counted, but have zero effect on the outcome of the election.

they're counted in the same way that the answers you got wrong at a quiz are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not trying to close you down (not sure how I could!). I'm merely suggesting that your posts show a childish attitude towards something important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Local/European elections have done around 50% turnout in recent cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

In Ireland (and the UK) voting is a right, in other countries (Belgium for example) voting is a duty and authorities will follow up when you do not vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I actually agree that if a voter genuinely doesn't want to vote for any of the parties/candidates on a ballot, spoiling their vote is a more effective way of communicating that dissatisfaction than simply not voting (which is simply interpreted as apathy)

If a large enough proportion of the electorate exists that were of that mind and created a national campaign on that basis, it would send a genuine message to the existing parties (or potentially provide the basis for the formation of a new party)

Advertisement