Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

I saw a quote somewhere from a Pats fan saying that Amond is doing the job for Waterford that we hoped Eoin Doyle would do for us a couple of seasons ago. Hard not to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Most of the Shels posters are grand. They are top of the league in fairness.

Paudie Amond is a great signing alright and the best forward in the league for me. Jarvis had a quiet patch for a fair while but seems to be going well again.

I'd say Amond is the best signing so far for his contribution to his team. With Shels it's more of a team effort IMO.

It’s easier though. At a team like Pats with the likes of Leavy, Mulraney, Forrester etc it becomes more difficult for one centre forward to be as central to everything the team does. Obviously the names were slightly different in the last couple of years, but Keating will be suffering that now after being at Cork and being their talisman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Amond has been sensational and my tip for POTY but the Blues are far from a one man band; Asamoah, Rowan McDonald, Pattison, Sargent, Leahy, Power all playing great, I could go on, Baggley before injury superb. We've a 1/2 mill talent on the bench, Romeo, can't get a game 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

To mix the thread up a little. I won't even share a picture of Tolka Park! 😁

I draw stuff, because I can't figure out something better to do with my life, and I've been making some LOI stadium drawings this year, I thought you all might be interested 😬

We are a team effort and thats what has us top, but Jarvis is one of those players (the first I can really remember was Kalonas back in 2008, but I'm sure people older than me will have examples of their own) where you just watch a player and feel that they're too good to be playing LOI. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he eventually makes it into the Hull first team picture, and if not that, surely League 1 somewhere.

Unfortunately I'd be very very surprised (but over the moon) if he was with us next year. Harry Wood more likely to stick around with us (assuming the rumours are true that hes already signed up for July), because hes already gone back to England, had a go at it, and it hasn't worked out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would you say he has had the same impact as Amond? Not having a pop like, genuinely curious - take him out of the Shels team and you reckon ye would be well off the pace like?

Edit: Obviously you do actually as you said unquestionably he has been the signing of the season. Fair enough, I wouldn't have thought ye would be so far off based on the defensive structure in place there but will defer to your knowledge of the team.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Can you be signing of the season if you were at the same club the season before?

I think Amond is more important to Waterford than Jarvis has been to Shels, but Jarvis has been a better player, so join the dots around that whichever way they go I guess.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd still have to go with Amond being the signing of the season so far then as he's had the biggest impact on a team, forgetting that Jarvis was at Shels last year I'd have Amond above him on that basis. In terms of player of the year, sure Jarvis is likely the front runner for that at the moment, I may or may not agree but it's a separate point with regard to what I meant in terms of signing of the season. T

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great news for us is that Colm Whelan is back in full training, and scored in an U20 game.

He'll be like a new signing, and will be coming into the team at a very busy time. Hopefully the lad can catch a break and have a career now free of any serious injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Why are the games on Thursday this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Euros start Friday.

Sod Germany v Jocks; the Blues are taking on the greatest Champions-in-waiting of all time at the RSC on Thursday. T'will be an honour for us gentle Waterford folk.

I saw some people linking with us within our fan pages etc. but I doubt there’s anything in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

3,000+ hopefully at the RSC with a good away allocation from Shels?

Hopefully, considering our recent home form, there have still been a lot of empty seats at the RSC.

A home win would put the cat amongst the pigeons and do Derry a favour (as if we haven't done them enough favours by rolling over every time we've played them this season!)

See Brian Gartland has Joined Pats as a Coach. Not sure where Dundalk begins and St. Pat's ends these days.

• Advertisement

Don’t think the Thursday night aspect of it will help away attendances across the league.

We will still travel in good numbers because we’ve been doing well, but for the most part weeknight aways will only attract the most hardcore or support.

National weather outlook.

Thursday night: A mix of clear spells and showers, some of which may turn heavy. Lowest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees in light to moderate southwest to west winds.

Just a reminder for the Thursday's night fixtures!

🙂

Hopefully as it has been relatively dry all week the pitches will be grand, bring a coat thou, summer football eh 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Jaros the goalkeeper is in a euros squad. Presume he’s the only ex LOI player playing a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Shels fans have chosen to stay away by the looks of it. Only the small block for away fans taken of the two blocks. Say blues fans will get the block again. Away attendances have been dreadful at the RSC this season bar maybe two or three matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

3 coaches going down anyways and assume a decent number driving - not bad for a Thurs night tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

Looking at the map it's a very decent shels crowd. They've half the other block taken now also. Nearly 300 or so sold id guess

Post edited by dk1982 on

Well done to all those Shels fans who are travelling done to the RSC for tonight's game, real League of Ireland fans and the real reason why the league is growing in popularity again! 😀

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Shels fans going to Waterford is the reason the league is growing in popularity?

Thursday 13th (All 19:45)

Premier Division

Dundalk v Sligo
    St Pats v Shamrock Rovers
    *Waterford v Shelbourne*
    Bohs v Derry
    Galway v Drogheda

First Division

Kerry v Longford
    Wexford v Treaty
    Finn Harps v UCD
    Cork v Cobh
    Bray v Athlone

The pick of the games tonight has to be Waterford v Shels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shams & Bohs also travelled in numbers recently to the RSC, in fairness. Has always been a problem for Waterford being so far from any other club with a big fanbase (sorry Wexford). Looking forward to Cork being back in the Premier division next season for the hordes of langers that usually travel up to the RSC. (Is it too soon to stop worrying about relegation? 😏)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

There wasn't much of a horde of langers up in tallaght for the playoff game last year. Probably outnumbered 2 to 1 by Waterford fans. Cork have awful travelling support for the size of the place. Even their home support for a one club big city is poor imo

It is actually yeah, less of that now!

Long way to go though in fairness, so I definitely won't be getting over confident given the squad available, one or two more injuries and we be right in the **** like but I'm feeling good about the gap to the bottom right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Fair enough they must have been waiting for pay day! Fair play to anyone going to an away game especially on a Thursday.

Mcdonald off injured is the big take away from the first half at the RSC. Both sides have had chances in the first half and a draw a fair state of play at half time.

The standard this year has been so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ballon d'or contender Will Jarvis has just ripped Waterford's defence apart there

By **** was that shocking from Horton. You will never get a goal handed to you on a plate so easily in your life.

**** hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's that man Jarvis again!

• Advertisement

Tell me you didn't see it without telling me you didn't see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The way I seen it, he had the Waterford defence tripping over themselves, just can't deal with him

Well I mean, that's hardly a surprise with you is it 😂

Even game, one defence cock up being the difference.

We are depleted but still, if that's the best team in the country we aren't far off them. Draw would have probably been the fairest result but that's football.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good 4-1 win for City in the Cork derby. 11 clear now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is one of the funniest dives I've ever seen and the ref bought it. Boyle misread the bounce and got out of jail.

Typical Rovers under Russell. Good results against Derry, Shels and Drogs and you think they've turned a corner but no. Those players were already on holiday tonight and didn't even test the young lad in goals a single time.

Excellent win against a very strong Waterford team. You could see they were causing problems for themselves playing out from the back a few times before they shot themselves in the foot.

Jarvis was sensational which will be topical on here of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

shels defence could win them the league. They don’t score a lot but so many clean sheets this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Don't ask me how Duff and this Shels team are still pulling this never-ending leading the league table story with battled hardened wins heading into the summer break it's really incredible stuff from coaching, workrate, fitness, efficiency and organisation

Oh and Bohemian F.C. 8th in the table 5 points above a relegation play-off spot, Thursday night football is actually alright 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

3 goals and 3 points for Galway Utd tonight, against a very poor Drogheda! Good to get back to winning ways before the summer break.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement