Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I could see half of those ending up non-transferrable, and a reasonable amount going absolutely everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is literally there in black and white.

The higher a candidate's position, the more preferential votes a candidate receives (Geys and Heyndels, 2003, Miller and Krosnick, 1998). However, while it has been proven that ballot list position matters,

There are other studies too that have shown this.

In their study of the 1973 Irish general
    election, Robson and Walsh (1974: 191-203) found that candidates placed higher on
    the ballot enjoyed a "distinct advantage" over their fellow candidates. They analysed
    the number of votes gained by candidates of the same parties according to their
    position on the ballot, and found that candidates placed at the top of the ballot
    received more votes than their party colleagues. Their study also showed that position
    effects were more prominent among non-incumbents than among incumbents

https://cora.ucc.ie/server/api/core/bitstreams/200ee941-7d47-4cff-89b0-ebe5c0d37aa9/content

So the question is, are you ok to leave this built-in advantage for some candidates, now knowing that it's unfair?

Or would you be open to changing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭bren2001

There's 51k left votes in Daly, Smith, and Gibney. Then theres 10k SF votes.

Even if Niall Boylan transfers well in the next few counts, and you'd expect him too, it is still going to come down to that block of 51k votes and how the transfers breakdown. I still think it will be Lynn Boylan + Aodhan/Cuffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Only? I dont think so as its an unprovable point but it did help, it was a nice trick he played all the same. Begs the question, why he pulled it in the first place, eh? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what does this mean?

On the one hand, voters may be inclined to vote for higher positioned candidates because they often have the most political experience, the greatest means to invest in their campaign and get the most media coverage.

that suggests that political experience is linked to the letter your surname begins with? or what do they mean by 'higher positioned'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do you have to eliminate candidates 1 by 1 or could Dublin have just culled the bottom 5 or 6 at the same count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its right there in black and white

In their study of the 1973 Irish general election, Robson and Walsh (1974: 191-203) found that candidates placed higher on the ballot enjoyed a "distinct advantage" over their fellow candidates.They analysed the number of votes gained by candidates of the same parties according to their position on the ballot, and found that candidates placed at the top of the ballot received more votes than their party colleagues

Well duh, people who want to vote along party lines are more likely to pick the first party candidate they see from that party on the ballot. This would be the case regardless of order, though I do doubt whether it's still as prevalent now as in 1973, where politicians are far more accessible now and can communicate with their electorate far more now than in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sometimes you can eliminate 5 at a time - 5 people with ~100 votes and the next person up has over a thousand, not one elimination can affect that person being overtaken so all 5 can go

The Dublin numbers do not work out like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

theoretically you could have a candidate who got 1% of the first preferences and 99% of the second preferences; eliminating them so early would be eliminating an otherwise popular candidate. safest to do them one by one, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Belgian elections where they can vote first for a party, then you either agree with the preset candidate ordering or you can rearrange based on your preferences.

The party sets the ordering according to their best candidates who they want elected, I..E the most experienced. The results of that study are no surprise at all.

In Belgium you can only vote for one party in the same election. You cast a vote in the box above the party list (saying you agree with the order of candidates) or you cast your vote on the boxes behind one or more individual candidates on that list (saying you want to change the order of the list). List votes go to the first candidate on the list (and to the second when the first has reached his or her quota, etcetera…).

The total number of ballot forms cast for each party list forms the basis for the calculation of the seats distribution. Once those seats have been attributed to each party, the number of preferential votes (including the re-distributed list votes) indicates which individual candidate on the list is elected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's definitely a possibility - They transfer among themselves or go nowhere.

But whatever ones are available Niall Boylan is the most likely beneficiary of those in with any kind of shot at a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I strongly disagree with those advocating retaining the present manual system of voting and counting.

It really is laughable that we cannot produce a result within hours or minutes of the polls closing. Think of all the resources and time wasted with all this manual counting.

it is not a diminution of democracy if the count is conducted using automated means. Trends and transfer patterns can still be gleaned from the data, just in a much quicker fashion. The results are already determined when the polls close. The present system just delays the notification of those results to the public, not to mention the potential for human errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I look forward to seeing some savvy politican try to capitalise on this by changing their name.

Mick Aardvark-Wallace for Europe 2029 anyone?

The potential for deliberate human error is vastly increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As @L1011 pointed out, multiple candidates can be eliminated at once, it just has to be mathematically impossible for them to remain in the race after the next count(s).

Take a look at this race from 2007, Dublin Central: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Central_(D%C3%A1il_constituency)#2007_general_election. At the end of the second count, four candidates were eliminated together. That's because even if one of those candidates picked up every single transfer from the other three, they still wouldn't have enough votes to catch up to the fifth-last candidate.

This Dublin MEP election hasn't worked out that way, as there are relatively small steps the whole way up between candidates: it was theoretically possible for Eamonn Murphy (the candidate with the second-lowest votes after the first count) to get enough transfers at each elimination to continually leapfrog each candidate above them to eventually get elected

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The 1st of the two National party candidates have been eliminated , will be interesting to see where those votes go

Somehow 9 of his votes went to Dr. Umar Al-Qadri.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dr Umar wouldn't exactly be the most friendly to lgbt or Jews.

The crossover by just 9 isn't that far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think I can hazard a guess as to which of the contenders at the business end of the field would be the main beneficiary…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Only 43% turnout in Dublin. Terrible. And a large number of spoiled votes.

So many people don't understand how to vote in Irish elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

27 k votes? It is not that much.

If counting the Aontú candidate in your total, the party are Catholic-conservative SF "splitters" over abortion rights and gay marriage [as far as I understand it?]. So imagine a lot of it will just go to SF.

They are not really the "far right" as I'd think of them anyway.

They have been moving at pace from the former to the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,552 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122242216#Comment_122242216Well we all remember what happened the last time we bought evoting machines...

In theory it is a great idea, but cyber attacks and software issues are a thing. There is a reason the vast majority of the world don't use evoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Really (?). I would not be one of their voters and admit have not been paying attention to the party + what its people have been saying recently. Don't believe I even got a leaflet off them funnily enough now I think of it.

Yes definitely.

I'm in Limerick North where we just elected one and their support is isn't far off the "East Wall" anti immigration type.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Aontú are definitely conservative, but you couldn't really describe them as 'right wing populists'. A lot of them are Irish nationalists and originally from a left wing background.

There is a fair amount of Sinn Fein that were never actually left wing.

It's why I never voted for them. Got some left wing ideals way up high but at ground level too many just in it to shout "up the RA" and don't have a clue about actual policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Get Real

How is it laughable? It's a tried and tested method. No need to sign up to contracts with companies, retaining them even in non-election years either.

In 2015 in NSW, Australia, 60,000 electronic votes were compromised by a third party website while a poll was ongoing.

In 2003 in Belgium, a candidate got an extra 4000 first preference votes and it was only discovered because of a physical impossibility (ie, more total first preference votes than people who voted)

In 2018 local elections in Ontario, 51 local elections areas could not access the system and all the voters in that area had to be pushed back to voting the next day.

In 2008 in Finland, a court ruled electronic votes invalid following possible errors and it was re-done with paper and pen. The Finns have kept it paper and pen since.

In 2009 the Constitutional Court in Germany ruled there was a lack of public involvement/transparency with exciting results. There's no evoting.

There are numerous other examples of doubt/hacking/ or simply abandonment by many countries, including many EU countries I could continue listing.

And...is it really that much quicker? With a presidential election or referendum, we know the results the next day anyway.

Go on twitter now or any mainstream news site, you can follow along in a transparent manner, there's photos of the counting sheets and carry-overs for everyone to inspect.

It's reliable and transparent and...it's not broken. It works.

If we were to go evoting and something went wrong either technologically, maliciously or legally (resulting in a court deeming the system invalid) the absolute uproar there'd be over wasted money and we're fools etc etc (even though many other countries have been victim of the same)

The only person I would understand who feels very strongly on pursuing evoting are the machine manufacturers and software companies.

Interesting (paywalled) article by fintan O'Toole about the decline in support for SF - he posits that one is the reason we didn't have an effective far right in Ireland was that SF had managed to attract the sort of ethnonationalist sentiment that often drifts to the far right, while still playing to a left wing audience; but that it's lost its role as what he calls the shock absorber of Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah its an interesting point, and to be honest there would have been a bit of an alignment between far right sentiment and hard core nationalist (anti Brit) sentiment - in my opinion. Am sure others will disagree and obviously Sinn Fein is closely aligned with Palestine and so on, but its just a sense I have - that (some of) the same people who are strongly nationalist, might also be anti-immigrant.

Then when Mary Lou made it clear that she wanted nothing to do with far right causes, these voters moved on - and to be honest she should be glad of that even if it means lower polling numbrs.

One thing that the Far RIghters keep banging on about is 'the Irish people'.

Having said that, a counter argument to O'Toole is that the far right is very fragmented, whereas Sinn Fein if it had played its cards right would be in government right now.

Advertisement