Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

This story just keeps on giving…

The decision that Sunak would attend the British parts of the D-Day commemorations but dodge an international event later was made weeks ago.

..which would have been long before the election was called..

The interview was slotted in because he was already coming back for a 6pm meeting on Thursday to sign off the Conservative election manifesto.

Still plenty of whiff in this version of the story

Edit: This was also a week before the Euro Elections..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Starmer - Zelensky photo was significant……made S. look like a PM in waiting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But he is the PM in waiting - only 4 weeks to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tory Robot short circuits when asked why he had been parachuted into a safe constituency (300 miles from his old one), repeats the same obviously prepared rant about the whole 2,000 per household bump under Labour - even down to the same buzzwords with "ideological obsession" - then the interviewer rightly gets píssed off before the handler tries to Well, Actually in the background.

Like, most modern politicians are media trained, we get and understand that, but woof. Every time these automatons fail basic questions you just despair, especially while conniving emotion driven fascists are creeping into the mainstream. Cos you can see which is gonna appeal more to the angry electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Good god and good on interviewer for not putting up with his sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And the way he just froze once the handler chimed in; like he was clearly coached not to do anything except trot out the same hysterical spiel about Labours 2k and once challenged, went like a statue.

Does indeed look like a safe Tory seat but you'd love to see this android get humiliated in July, alongside all the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To make matters worse, the robot is the Chairman of the Conservative Party who parachuted himself into the safe seat unopposed for selection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's just where we are, isn't it. They can't have the party chairman not have a seat in Parliament so they'll do whatever they have to to keep him around. It's rather odious but this is the 2024 Conservative party we're talking about.

I caught a bit of Sky News this morning and the D-Day thing just isn't going away for Sunak. It's impossible for me to think that every step on a trip like that is not meticulously planned months in advance. He's not stupid but he's either lacking severely in emotional intelligence or, more likely, he just couldn't care less. He seems to just see the UK as something from which to extract cash. Nothing more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They tried to put out the narrative that it was just an oversight, a simple mistake. But he chose not to stay, he needed to inform the Franch well in advance. This wasn't an off-the-cuff moment or something that happened because of something else (like the GE or whatever).

His explanation doesn't add up, which is why this story continues to run. The Tory party are attempting to lie about it and people can see through the lies. Yesterday you had a Tory MP on Sky News saying that it was time to move on. That it was a simple mistake, for which Sunak has apologised and now we just all need to move on.

But they still haven't explained as to why he thought it was the better option to not attend the afternoon, Because he is caught either way. Either he never intended to attend (which is my thinking) or he planned to attend at some point but having called the GE felt it was a better use of his time to attend to GE matters.

They attempted to get ahead of the story on Friday morning by issuing the apology, but that and the news interview only served to make things worse and he wanted to apologise without actually accepting the facts.

Sunak then went into hiding and sent out some lackeys on his behalf. Most of them seemed to think that simply repeating that he had apologised but they had no idea why he left would be enough.

There is no recovering from this. I think the damage is simply too big. Johnson etc could have probably got away with it, but Sunak already has the impression with voters that he doesn't care, he doesn't do politics, he is simply not up to the job, and this will reinforce that.

I'm not sure whether it will have a negative impact in turns of actual votes, but I certainly think it has stopped dead any chance of a turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fuck me, that's just embarrassing. I can easily feel the frustration of the interviewer when faced with this kind of bullshit response. It won't happen of course, but I'd love to see the Tories consigned to the bin for a decade or more and the Lib Dems take their place as the main opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is Suella is lining the party up to merge with Farage and his company?
    This is from today's Times…

Who would lead such a union? Would Farage let Braverman take the reins as it would be too much effort for him?

Oh look, the giant racist is already trying to wriggle his way out of his own dog-whistle. I had wondered this morning if indeed any toads had tried to spin Sunak's bounce from Normandy in a racist light - I shouldn't have been surprised to learn that Alleged Human Nigel Farage would have attempted just that.

As James O'Brien sarcastically noted, if Farage meant money and class was what he referred to, perhaps King Charles should watch out - or indeed Farage himself given his noted bank account at Coutts?

He's very adebt at it after years of practice. I saw Laura K question him on it yesterday. blah blah blah.

What's funny is you'd have Suella and Priti pat him on the back for such comments…….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well Farage would need her to get in charge of the rump Conservative party first so as to open the door to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not sure if I should post this but since @pixelburp brought up Farage & Reform, I will.

A Reform UK candidate claimed the country would be "far better" if it had "taken Hitler up on his offer of neutrality" instead of fighting the Nazis in World War Two.

Ian Gribbin, the party's candidate in Bexhill and Battle, also wrote online that women were the "sponging gender" and should be "deprived of health care".

In posts from 2022 on the Unherd magazine website, seen by the BBC, he said Winston Churchill was "abysmal" and praised Russian President Vladimir Putin.

…..

In July 2022, Mr Gribbin posted on the Unherd website: "Britain would be in a far better state today had we taken Hitler up on his offer of neutrality…. but oh no Britain’s warped mindset values weird notions of international morality rather than looking after its own people."

The same month he wrote: "In Britain specifically we need to exorcise the cult of Churchill and recognize that in both policy and military strategy, he was abysmal."

The previous month he criticised women, writing on the site’s message board: "Do you think you could actually work and pay for it all too like good citizens?

"Men pay 80% of tax – women spend 80% of tax revenue. On aggregate as a group you only take from society.

"Less complaining please from the 'sponging gender'."

….

In the run up to the invasion of Ukraine, he praised President Putin, writing in January 2022 that he had "shown a maturity of which we can only dream of".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjmmrwexv4ko

I know that that's a lot of text but I've noticed an uptick in the amount of snivelling, disingenuous defence of the Third Reich online recently, usually under the pretence of "Just asking questions".

Reform UK is just UKIP repackaged to shed the baggage and bad headlines and UKIP was a BNP copy.

It doesn't surprise that Reform want to cannibalise the Tories. There was once a party in Canada called Reform which devoured a Candian centre-right outfit called the Progressive Conservative party. Farage is hoping to do this to the Conservatives and Braverman is opening the door.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Leave them to it. 10+ years in the wilderness if it happens

Bloody hell. Good timing for that article too, to come out around D-Day and lo, here's a Reform candiate espousing the virtues of Hitler.

Well, let's be hopeful: you'd have to imagine we're about to see "former Reform candiate Ian Gribbin", right? Then again, if this is Reform's published response:

A Reform spokesman said the comments were not "endorsements" but "written with an eye to inconvenient perspectives and truths", while his remarks about women were "tongue in cheek".

Perhaps not. He was only messin' you libs, can't you take a joke?

There's a distinct class of multi-generational Briton for whom the ladder was pulled up behind them. As has been pointed out many times, Patel's own parents would have been barred from entering the UK due to her & her party's revised immigration rules. Plus the other fact is white people aren't the ones with a monopoly on racism: no reason not to think Patel and Braverman hadn't simply inherited India's own prejudicial structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Would Farage let Braverman take the reins

Create an almighty mess then walk away and let others deal with the fall-out? Nigel Farage would never do such an unscrupulous thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just heard on the radio that Farage has pulled out of the BBC interview tonight over this.

Post edited by Timberrrrrrrr on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Deleted

• Advertisement

The British right really are showing their true colours over this. It's truly a hideous sight. I saw a piece in the Spectator praising the Wehrmacht for crying out loud. If I didn't know better, I'd say some of them would have preferred the other side to have won.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was an interesting discussion on Pat Kenny this morning about the various shades of 'far right' parties across Europe. One gets the impression that Farage & Co. are very much out on the racist, bigoted fringe and nowhere near the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Farage also in a bit of trouble today for endorsing Ian Paisley Jnr and Sammy Wilson of the DUP - 'in a personal capacity' - despite Reform having a political alliance with the TUV in the North.

Loving how the Reform spokeman says, Reform still honour their alliance and Farage only speaking personally - as if it's ok for your Party leader and dominant personality to endorse opponents of your Ally

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c988p1xz2qdo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

It cannot be stated strongy enough, over 50s (the only Brits who still vote Tory) in Britain are majority racists. None of what is been said by the hard right of the conservatives or Reform will hurt their standing among this target demographic one millimeter.

I would wager that the fall off in support for the Tories is at least partly a consequence of selecting an Indian as their leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

I would have called that hyperbole, but having recently lived in north England for a few years after the Brexit vote I would say there's a bit of truth in that. It was very bizarre to be told I was very welcome in England and more of our type were needed while at the same time being expected to laugh at potato jokes.

I came away from England thinking that Brexit was only the beginning of something there and we'd want to be most alert to future civil unrest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That party chairman story is astoundingly cynical.

He's abandoned his constituents and shafted his colleagues, in addition to breaking the rules. Anyone who votes for him is only approving his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I had a lot of anti immigration stuff said to me as a "friendly" thinking I would agree because I am a white immigrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

One of the most unsettling conversations I had was over drinks with a senior off duty copper who basically told he doesn't trust any colleagues from an Asian background. It was unsettling because we were both of an age to know he would never have confided anything to an Irish man in the 80s, so it was very much about race.

There's a few different England's, the south can be rich but unequal, and the north is poor and unequal.

Advertisement