Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to the Count Centre

Options
  • 08-06-2024 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭

So, for the first time in my life, I decided to mosey down to the local count centre this afternoon to witness democracy in action (well, ok I was just having a bit of a nosey).

I was surprised though to be told I couldn't get in without some sort of "tally pass" so I could only have a look from far away while the others milled around the count itself.

Is this the way it is? Does a regular joe soap have to be "connected" in some way in order to have a look at what happens at a count centre?

Tbh and perhaps it's unfair but I did get a whiff of a "them and us" from the experience. Is it so important that the public should be kept at arm's length while the politicians and their hanger's on get the ringside seat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That is the usual setup as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

There would be chaos if anyone could just rock up to a count centre and get close enough to watch the count.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why would you expect anyone could just go up and mill around where the counting happens. It be chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭mikemac2

It was said on TV earlier today that each candidate may get maybe 4 passes. In the morning party members (or no party at all)will be around doing their tallying which seems to be more of an art than a science and later in the day they will go home and the candidate and friends & family will use the passes.

Most certainly not a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It totally depends on the count centre. Cork city hall is open to everyone. I had a wander around it earlier on while they were counting.

It was actually a little bit surreal. I kept seeing people and thinking "Where do I know that person from?" and then realising it was a candidate whose face has been up on posters in the area for the past month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 User1111

I went to the count centre at the racecourse in Limerick to watch the count for the directly elected mayor, however I was not allowed into the centre. It turns out that only media or friends of people running are allowed into the centre which was very surprising to me. I know it's to prevent harassment and things but I thought it was a real shame. It's not really a good feeling when you can't watch the process that's supposed to elect and legitimise your government, and the staff at the door weren't particularly helpful, although I suppose there's not much they could do. As a Limerickman though it gave me a bit of a bad feeling that I wasn't welcome to observe my own elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

What would you have expected to happen if 1,000 like minded people turned up?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Most of the count centres I have visited have been very busy places, at least on the first day. The controls are mostly to make sure numbers don't get out of hand. You will often find that security eases up later in the day or on the next day but I would expect future elections to have increased security generally. Maybe contact the returning officer, before election day if you want to visit in future. Or contact a local candidate/party to see if they want some help wth the tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Oh look, heres a box of counted votes all for (enter party here), oh oops ive spilt my coffee into the box. I suppose those votes will have to be spoiled. Ooops.

It would be total chaos. I am kind of amazed someone might think they could wander around. It has to be a controlled space.

It also has to be a public space so that democracy can be seen in action. There is a huge amount of work done in the election and in the days following by the staff.

If it is possible to get access, I would recommend helping out and taking part. It is very interesting, and sometimes long spaces of waiting, but well worth visiting to see how your STV travels through the system. You could even get to see your own vote being sorted, counted and hopefully contributing to someone's election.

• Advertisement

You could even get to see your own vote being sorted

Are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

How do you become a vote sorter and vote counter person? Are these county council staff in the main or civil servants?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Apply to the local returning officer. It is usually the same people working in polling stations on election day and working at the count.

Ah ya, I mostly just wanted to go have a look, I wouldn't be contacting people in advance, I just kind of like the idea of the count centre as a public space is all

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Outside of cities, you basically can.

See above - in plenty of the country you can just wander in. The counters and hence the votes are behind barriers. There's Gardai there. You won't get anywhere near enough to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have gone to my local one on past counts no issues.. it’s interesting to see the process.. went this year and was asked my business in centre and blagged my way in .
    Got chatting to a member of security I know and he said certain count centres were told not to let just anyone in .. especially in locations that have experienced protests this year .. they were fearful something might have kicked off in certain centres..

Fair enough I suppose, should've used my famous charm, but they didn't seem like they were going to let us shneak in tbh, I was there with my dad so I doubt we looked like a threat to anyone but sure look it, hopefully it'll be a bit more chill next time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It can be both be a controlled space while also being open to the public.

In Cork city hall there is a barricade between the public and the count staff. It's only at chest height though so you can see over the top of it and watch them at work.

It's a bit like the diagram below. The public, tallymen and candidates are free to wander around the red square but not go inside of the black squares, where the counts are happening.

No. If you spot the box from your polling station, and there are 200 votes in the box, if you watch them being sorted, you will see your vote being sorted. If you gave your first preference to a candidate that got only 1 first preference (or some other combination of preferences) in the same box then you might recognise your vote.

Noone else is able recognise your vote - but you might.

Each box is numbered so it should not be difficult to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

True, but the chances of identifying your own personal vote is slim, when there could be 20 or 50 identical votes. Unless you can vote in a particular pattern to make it obvious in the one second or so that you'll get to see each vote when tallying. This would probably involve wasting your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I’m a member of a political party and a WhatsApp group message asked if any of us were experienced tally-ers to help at one of the recounts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is no reason why you should have to see any of it, especially if opening it to random members of the public could result in a crowd over running a counting center, destroying votes etc… There are procedures in place to guarantee the integrity of the process and in my 40+ years I have never heard them being called into question and the procedures certainly have caught a lot of stuff over the years.

If you are really interested then get involved with one of the parties or independents and if they feel you have what it takes they may put you forward for something. But this is serious stuff especially when it goes wrong and the Garda and the DPP get involved. The party faithful are usually not what you need because they will get destroyed in court and some people have qualms about giving evidence against a neighbour etc…. Usually when the legal side is explained to volunteers, some will decide to opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Technically, the person who handed you your ballot paper could recognise your vote, if they noted the number. Why they would do it is another question, and they would only be able to remember one or two from each box.

Advertisement