Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Going by the online calculator it's about 2x what i was expecting. Is there much of a penalty for having a small system? e.g. the labour for a smaller system is almost as much as a bigger system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

How come such a small system? That's only about 5 panels, have you no more roof space or ground space to fit more? It is very expensive so I wouldn't entertain it at that price.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi folks,

Brand new to this, would like to learn more. Got a quote today. Dublin based.

2 kW system (5 panels) + 5 kW battery for €8,060 (after €1600 grant) . Seems a tad expensive compared to what I have seen on this thread.

Any opinions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭eeinke

Does look like a reasonable quote? house southeast/west facing, wicklow based.

18 No. 435W Jinko Solar Panels (System Value: 7.830 kWp) 25-year product & 30 year Linear Power warranty Supply and fit Van Der Valk mounting system with 10 Year Warranty Roof inspection & wind load analysis ESB Connection Safe Electric Certification Free Lifetime System Monitoring.

Sofar 5000 inverter with 10 year warranty. Supply & Install 5kW Dyness Battery. 10 Year Warranty.

Supply and fit 8 X Optimizer to adjust Solar PV voltage to meet the requirement of the inverter

Building Energy Rating & SEAI Grant Management (BER assessment - Required for SEAI grant)

Supply and fit Dual Array

Supply and fit fireproof mounting to meet SEAI and Irish building regulations

including SEAI grant

Total: €13,900.00

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

I would like your advice on this quote please

South facing solar PV.

10100kw house usage per year

16no. 435w glass/glass bi-facial panels on a ground mounted system.

Solis 5kw hybrid inverter

2no. 5.3KWH Weco batteries

Install in garage will all associated electrical accessories.

Minimum ground works required

€13900 - €2100 grant = €11800

Thanks in advance for you input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, I think I am reasonably knowledgeable to comment, firstly hand tool http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ to give you an idea whether you are being quoted under or over the odds.

In our case 16 panels (roof mounted) 2x WECO batteries and 5K Solis inverter with grant €10,700, local enough firm and very proffesional from start to finish, system is up and live nearly 2 weeks and can only say should have got it in sooner.

Thanks

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

Celbridge, so we switched provider (paid the early exit fee), as you can see on the Enegria app we will soon have that covered and much much more, long may the sun shine.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Wildly expensive, I would get more quotes. Also why have they quoted for optimizers, do you having shading affecting one of the the strings?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

That looks like a good quote for a ground mount system. You consume a good amount of electricity, I would try and maximize the panels on that Solis inverter which is probably at least 2 more panels.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 gigitu

What is the website you are talking about ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Take a look at the thread linked below. The installed with the most names beside it is the supplier that provided the quote.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've just deleted a load of PM request posts. Please read the thread title and the Mod note in post #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭conor_mc

what’s the roof angle on your north roof? How true north is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've decided to bite the bullet and get my long sought-after solar PV. Have the guys calling next week to give me a quote. I have a weird roof layout, the south facing part is used up with two pitched roofs running into it. So the usable space is really an East / West configuration. Space at the gutter level is 5m X 4.5m. There is a small bit of extra space where the roofs meet at the angle that looks like you could squeeze in one or two more on either side. I guess around 12-16 panels is what I'm looking at?

I have a few questions that others might have had similar choices when getting theirs set up and would be interested in opinions around hwo it worked out.

I have Solar tubes for hot water. Should I rip them out and get PV to do the hot water? The tubes are 15 years old. On their day (very sunny summer) they work well and i get well over 40 sometimes 50 degree water. But since I bird pulled the temp probe out of the tubes on the roof less so 😀. But when the lads are up there I get them to put it back in. So I'm leaning towards leaving them.

Battery: What is the latest consensus? Is a small 5kw worth adding now with the FIT. I do work from home and have an EV here. So day time use is higher than an empty house. And I could just plug in the car on a sunny day and not bother with a battery? Or would a battery still be a good idea, especially with an East/west set-up. It would get a nice lot of sun in the morning when the house is on very low power use and it could top up the battery before we even wake up so might help there.

Any advice is appreciated 😀

If you buy a system and do the installing yourself is there a list of registered electricians who can do the wiring work ?

If you buy a ground mounted system and do the panel installation yourself is there a list somewhere of qualified electricians who would do the electrical work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Back to getting quotes here. Here's most recent:

6.8kwp system

16 x 430w Jinko panels

No BER (would have to organise ourselves)

They do paperwork for grant otherwise.

Comes to €6,100 after the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

that’s is an amazing quote . What part of the country are you in . Would you pm the company if you are in the west ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Got a quote today for an 8.6Kwp System

20 x Jinko 430 N Type

no grant no BER €8500

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Who is the with? I'm getting quotes of 5800 just for 10 panels and 4.3kwp system!

FWIW, my grant paid out within about two weeks of install earlier this month, while I was still sorting out a BER! Was almost done so I got the rating anyway, but give it a couple of weeks in case you can save yourself a few hundred quid.

Might be because the install was well above the 4kWp mark, maybe? Suspect same installer as you - Jinko/Solis/Dyness/No BER combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭FrankN1

How much does BER usually increase? I'm b3 and thinking to get 4 kwp

depends on estimated generation (aspect, etc) more than installed capacity, and floor area.

But B3 is 125-150 kWh per m2 per year. If due south, 4kWp will generate about 4,000 kWh. Divide 4,000 by your floor area, say 100m2 would give you a reduction of 40, that would bring you down to 85-110 kWh/m2/yr, so maybe B1 or B2 give or take.

Guys, quick question regarding inverter capacity.

So I understand from the installers that the max inverter you can install on domestic system is 5KwH and hence the max you can export is same and that anything over that is not actually generated (providing house and battery are satisfied)?

What is to stop you (once SEAI have paid the grant) swapping from 5 to say 6 or larger inverter, could ESBN "detect" that you were pushing 5KwH plus back onto the grid or would your supplier have anyway of telling by the amount of FIT?

Or is it just not worth the cost of doing the swap for the small gain in export?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭deezell

5kw max to grid, but a hybrid inverter can take in more and send excess to a battery, or an off grid connection if so equipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You've sort of answered your own question there. Yes, you will get more generated every year with a 6kw over a 5kw (assuming you have the excess panels sizes and are "clipping")…..but people completely overestimate the effects of clipping have on their production. In reality, even on the sunny blue skies all day long, your probably only clipping for a few hours. Unlikely to see any clipping in Oct-Feb. Maybe you get 5-10% more….maybe.

Is it worth the cost effort….. probably not. As deezell mentions above some inverters can take more than 5kw and send the excess to a battery, but not all. My own one (GivEnergy) just handles about 5.6kw and that's it. I might get an odd spike to 6.5kw for a few seconds, but it pulls back to 5.6kw quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭tech

can the solis 5KW hybrid handle clipping? if I had 10KW of battery would it be able to feed house and also filling batteries @ the same time ?, then once batteries are full top up immersion with Eddi?

im looking at putting in a 7.8kw system south facing

Advertisement