Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That is a long term solution, no matter who is in government they are not going to magic up the number of houses needed now or in the future in the next year or 2 or maybe 5. So what happens in the mean time, just have anyone be they young irish people looking to move out of the parents house, One parent of a family that is split up that can't find accommodation, people coming to the country on work visa and Asylum seekers be they legal or illegal just all get tents so that they camp out on streets, canals and parks? Unless there is a slow down in people either coming into the country or as we seen in the past an upsurge in people leaving the country they will never be able to catch up on those needing housing, so in your infinite wisdom what is to be done?

People suggest things here and then you shoot them down and go to the extreme like in the quoted post so I ask you what should happen to solve the housing the crisis other than just build houses because just building houses while there are more and more people coming in not going to solve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

As I said, 250k houses are needed, booting out 6,000, or even 30,000, aslyum seekers isn't going to solve the housing crisis. Its a real shame people are voting for parties who are taking that approach though.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

This is an example of the perfect solution falacy: because the suggestion does not completely solve the problem it is therefore worthless.

In reality there is never going to be one solution but rather many partial solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The point being contended here is that if you are worried about housing in the context of foreigners coming into the country — then asylum seekers / refugees represent a fairly small cohort of the overall foreign-born population in Ireland. Their effect on housing, in materiality terms, is therefore far lower than (say) migrants who come here via the conventional channels for economic migration. As well as that, at this point in time, of the foreign-born population it is those who are conventional economic migrants who are more likely to be in a position to compete with Ireland-born people in the rental market and (to a lesser extent, as migrants in Ireland are far less likely to be homeowners) house-buying market.

Nobody is saying that asylum seekers have no effect whatsoever on housing — hell — I'm not sure who here is even disagreeing with you that we should try to slow the number of asylum seekers down. But the point is that conventional economic migrants make up a far, far larger share of the foreign born population so even if your focus was on reducing their numbers as a way of easing housing demand this would make appear to make more sense than focusing on a far smaller sub-cohort of that demographic. Now I appreciate you mention work visa migrants too — but for the most part people on here tend to hyper focus on the asylum seekers / refugees as a major cause of the housing crisis (or at least elevate the prospect of their removal as being a major step towards solving it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

30,000 this year with births, family growth etc becomes 100,000 - 150000 down the road in 20 years time and so on.

We are looking at probably more then doubling population over next 50 years.

And we'll still be deciding whether to build the metro north.

One thing about this country. We need to be building the critical infrastructure required today. Right now. Huge 24 hour operations with shift changes to deliver. Good pay to attract skilled workers.

The calibre of Government has always been exceptionally poor here considering our wealth. The money needs to be reinvested in capital projects.

The poster who said we are reactive hit the nail on the head. Always reactive, never proactive. It takes crisises for stuff to happen here when the data is staring us in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@ArthurDayne wrote "Nobody is saying that asylum seekers have no effect whatsoever on housing — hell — I'm not sure who here is even disagreeing with you that we should try to slow the number of asylum seekers down. But the point is that conventional economic migrants make up a far, far larger share of the foreign born population so even if your focus was on reducing their numbers as a way of easing housing demand this would make appear to make more sense than focusing on a far smaller sub-cohort of that demographic."

Perhaps not in the last few months, but arguments have been made on this thread that IPA migrants have no impact on the housing crisis on the basis that these migrants are housed in specially designated facilities for migrants such as direct provision centres etc. that don't deplete the general housing stock.

I don't think many (outside those making the argument) bought this line of reasoning but the arguments were nevertheless made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's a start though. Every little helps.

Move towards zero asylum, and halve the number of UKR refugees. You're at 80k already.

Next, put limits on legal immigration until rents fall. Specifically, I mean:

(1) zero new non-EU students at third-level or English schools.

Big drop in income for the unis, yes.

(2) zero new Brazilians, unless it can be proven that we really need them (meat plants?, maybe. Deliveroo = no)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The rental and housing crisis is so bad, that as well as more supply, I feel, reluctantly, we also need less demand.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the scale of the housing deficit is so large at 256,000 houses.

I can't see how we could halve rents without somehow reducing demand?

Maybe 3D-printing / modular housing can boost supply enough to halve rents?

It's not great to propose turning away non-EU students, who pay big fees, but I can't see any alternative way to reduce demand?

Post edited by Geuze on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

We need qualified people to keep our economy going so we can't stop these coming in. We are never going to build our way out of this problem. What we need to do is create large scale trailer parks like they have in the US. People will have to get used to the fact that they will live a large part of their lives in that sort of accomodation.

Please point out on this thread where i ever had a problem with legal migration?

Just another deflection instead of answering the question i asked yoir throw out that rubbish. Are you Michael martin? Thats one of his taxtics in rhe Dail to avoid answering questions. So what is your solution? How are the government going to build enough houses to keep up with demand for houses, considering they well behind what is needed and are barely making a dent?

So your solution to the housing crisis is to get rid of a tiny percentage of people who mainly don't even live in houses as a short term solution to ensure going Irish people can move out of their parents house? I won't lie, I'm not sure that's much of a solution tbh. The reality is, the numbers just get stack up. As I've said already, getting rid of those 6,000 asylum seekers living in reception centres is going to be the solution to Irish people living in a box room.

The government have never shown any interest in building social and affordable houses. Re-electing a parties have shown no interest in doing that repeatedly is not going to solve the problem. Getting rid of a tiny percentage of asylum seekers is not going to solve the problem either.

I do accept getting rid of nearly all foreigners will go a long way though. It's absolutely ridiculous idea, but at least the numbers stack up.

And again you haven't answered my questions, just more deflection.

Your only answer is to build our way out of it and i am asking how are you going to do that?

No you haven’t you have just spewed out more of your rhetoric and bile. Accussing people of wanting to stop everyone from coming into the country. That is all you have said.

I have asked you and I will ask you again how are you going to build your way out of this if you cant keep up with demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I've answered your question. If you can't keep up with demand you remove every foreigner in the country and you stop every foreign coming into the country. That will stop demand. Or you increase supply and build more houses to keep up with demand.

Are you trying to claim there's any other solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

its not just houses though, we need massive infrastructure improvements to keep up with this continued population growth. Roads, public transport, water, sewerage, power supply, broadband, schools, health care, and not forgetting office and other commercial premises.

And we have a really bad track record in doing any of that in a timely fashion.

So, while our lot strive to be the best boys in Europe the country will grind to a halt, unable to provide for the growing population caused by unsustainable immigration policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Demographers and the CSO think the population of what is now the Republic will rise to around 6m by the year 2050. The absolute upper end of their prediction is around 6.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Are you attempting to WUM here to get a reaction? Is this your tactic?

Point out the post where I said what you have claimed in the quoted post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

If we were importing 20-30k bogus asylum seekers each year that would mean nearly 300% of those granted asylum each year are bogus. I shouldn't have to point this out, but your numbers don't add up.

Please point out where I claimed you said that. You asked me how to deal with the demand for housing. I gave you two potential solutions one could consider.

You said

no matter who is in government they are not going to magic up the number of houses needed now or in the future in the next year or 2 or maybe 5. So what happens in the mean time,

people coming to the country on work visa and Asylum seekers be they legal or illegal just all get tents so that they camp out on streets, canals and parks? Unless there is a slow down in people either coming into the country or as we seen in the past an upsurge in people leaving the country they will never be able to catch up on those needing housing.

Now, since you've claimed you have never had an issue with legal immigration, what exactly are you proposing to do, to "slow down people coming into the country" to help solve the housing accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not sure if it was posted but we're one of the fastest rising populations

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/06/10/european-commission-says-irish-population-rose-by-record-35-per-cent-last-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

We're importing 20-30k this year sport, check the numbers to date in 2024. This ain't going to go down anytime soon unless a much harder line is taken. Just as one example: Nigeria added 100 million people in the last 30 years. The good news is it's projected to add another 170 million by 2050.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Latest tent city around Leeson Street. Guess over the next few days we’ll be seeing the usual early morning bulldozer in to clear it. Rinse and repeat. Are they going to fence that area of the street off too?

The canal fenced off on one side, and rows of tents on the other. Absolute kip. So sad to see an area which was always a great amenity, especially in the summer, being closed off to the public like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,128 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's so sad to see our country turning into this

Heart breaking infact, all created by the hands of this government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

How did we let things get like this ??

There has to be a building within Dublin Airport where we can detain anyone without a passport? Clearly as there are no direct flights from half the places these chancers are coming from, they must be coming from London or perhaps Schipol/Frankfurt as both are hubs.

We must try SOMETHING!

Advertisement