Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Waiting for March 2025 takes all 3 coalition members wanting to wait till then.

It only needs any one of the three parties to decide to withdraw from coalition, and then it's early election time. Whilst it is technically Harris' decision when it happens, the reality is any one of the three coalition leaders could decide to force an early GE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

12% of the vote. Could be in trouble in MNW. It’s absolutely catastrophic stuff. Like the locals are an opportunity to give the government a bit of a bashing, but the main opposition party increased their seat count by 12?

How do they carry out a review? Does it happen in secret, or do the local party get input into the process?

You can’t have Doherty going back into the Dáil next week doing his usual shouting and roaring. Then the lads in Serbia uploading it to social media a few minutes later. That tactic is over. No longer resonating. McDonald sneering and looking out over her glasses isn’t going to cut it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

O'Sullivan is doomed and Cuffe is more than likely gonna miss out. Their national vote share in LE i think has halved (i'm open to correction)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Peadar Tóibín pulling no punches on Drivertime. Saying SF are ran by a small team at the top and that the local party organisation are little more than canvass fodder. Lost touch with their grassroots. Doesn’t think ML is in trouble due to the party structures, but if they get no MEP seat in MNW then SF seats could be in trouble at the next election in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Peadar Tóibín pulling no punches 

Come on, he's in direct competition with them for votes. What would you expect him to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ah, surely you can spin better than that. Disappointing.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The lads in Serbia will have to be told to stop going on about government figs being elected on the 9th count after these elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

You can be sure Peadar knows far more about SFs internal structures than many of it's TDs

It's not just a 'chaotic electorate' it is an electorate increasingly disillusioned with local government. All time low turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭pureza

I was told the same in confidence by a Sinn Féin candidate

They can't say anything unless its cleared from above,this person didn't get elected

• Advertisement

I was told the same in confidence 

😁😁 not very trustworthy are you? 'Telling Katie is like shouting it from the highest mountain'.😁

Tell you one thing, if it's true, I'd love to see the control centre controlling the largest party in Ireland's multiple reps.

What,you don't believe me ?

It was said but I think you know a lot more anyway about it than I do or maybe even that SF candidate..

So if you say it isn't true,they must have been lying

Although I believe them

Did you just talk yourself into believing something there?😁

I never had any doubt that SF sit down and discuss their strategy/mutual interests with the north's party. So what?

All parties meet to do the same thing. You just don't like the people doing it in this instance.

It's practically impossible IMO to control everything a rep says. Think of the logistics of doing that.

Never said I didn't like them

I think Michelle O'Neill should be leader down south and said that in this thread if you remember

She'd give them a right bounce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Whilst FF & FG are all smiles this past weekend they really very much owe their great weekend to the drift of votes from SF to the Independents, and for this MLMcD is entirely responsible.

https://x.com/MichealLehane/status/1800196316070625709

The reality is that less people are voting for FF/FG than ever.

In the 2019 local elections 25.2% voted FG. In 2024 this is 23%.

In the 2019 local elections 26.9% voted FF. In 2024 this is 22.9%. In fact more people voted for FF in the locals in 2009 (just months afer crashing in the economy such that the IMF turned up) with that percentage being 25.4% under Brian Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Fair points those.

Its a reminder that FF/FG are not a behemoth at the peak of their respective powers and their is a lot of voters out their who want nothing to do with either, but SF need to figure it out very quickly.

Maybe a new leader ? It might sound drastic but SF are fucked if an election is called in the next few months so something drastic has to be done.

I'm around these parts long enough to know that the 'advice' on new leaders of SF is just a way to criticise the incumbent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

SF cannot take advantage until the pretense between FF and FG ends.

So, the electorate are 'stupid'.

The MLMD answer and SF are powerless to stop big bad FF and FG hover up power between them…

Listen to yourself for god's sake.

If SF are actually interested in taking power and governing, we would be hearing a much more postiive spin, but so far its, blaming the electorate, the media, FF / FG, for SF doing badly….

Blame SF, nah they did nothing wrong at all, its the people who are stupid, stupid!

The next opinion poll is going to show a bounce for FF and FG, and SF will be <20%

In 2020 the electorate gave the biggest mandate to SF to go into government. SF's leader had made it clear she would talk to anyone about government formation.
    FG and FF, having both indicated to the electorate empowering FF would be similar to letting Delaney back in power in the FAI/or would never coalesce with one another - coalesced.

Who disrespected the electorate again Mark?

Another sour post full of sour grapes.

Leo, like him or not, led the country through some of the most difficult times we had as a state.

Brexit

Covid

The War in Ukraine and the Immigration Crisis.

He was Taoiseach for a total of 4 years and 4 months, and still only 45 with a world of opportunities at his feet if he so chooses.

History will be find kinder to him and dare I say it, middle Ireland saw the meanness from SF towards him going and decided, "perhaps we don't any truck with that lot"

MLMD has done nothing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭squonk

Fair point but it’s also true that there is a whole spectrum of parties now which voters can gravitate to if a particular one reflects most of their views. That’s bound to gobble up some FG/FF support. It’s maybe a more serious issue for SF as the left parties and groupings are doing as better job of attracting disaffected left leaning voters, and the sane for the right.

Saying “We did bad because lots of our voters didn’t come out is bunkum. Why weren’t they brought out? I remember growing up my dad canvassed for one of the major parties. On election days he was usually kept going giving lifts to the polling station to people without transport who might not have otherwise voted.

For a party so apparently down with da youf, well versed in social media, getting the crowd out shouldn’t have been an issue. Thing is, if they’re committed supporters, they’d have turned out.

Ah yes, back to the past.

You will always play "FF and FG bingo" as you are scared and shitless about talking about SF in the SF thread.

You are the perfect encapsulation on why people dont like SF. Empty vessels make the most noise.

You are reading in 'sour grapes' where there are none so that you can write in praise of Leo.

Leo walked when times were tough, MLMD wont walk. Its a tact post of praise for MLMD, who is past her best. Even you know it, you wont admit it, but you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Leo was the most surprised the day of his stepping down ffs.

I think Mary Lou should step down but saying Leo walked is really stretching it.

Never succeeded in an election, had a bright moment in 2020 when he was at 35%, led his party back to GE performance levels, a performance that precipitated an internal inquiry to see what went wrong, tried to increase support, and failed and then gave up, passed it on to Simon who presided over yet another electoral decline for the party.

Mary Lou, led her party to it's highest ever electoral success, increased support to 37% in polls, that support declined suddenly and she presided over an increase in LE vote share, and may increase EU representation. She is fully aware and takes responsibility for not doing better in the latest elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Could it be that Russia influenced the last General Election for SF? Was a most unpredictable jump in voters and a very big drop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If SF realised that was 4 years ago and moved on and delivered credible policies that had a sound financial foundation then they might have done better in the elections… Living in the past and thinking the votes were based on policy and not a protest vote isn’t going to get them elected….

• Advertisement

Only that it masks the fact that the cohort will turn on the new leader too, regardless.

Advertisement