Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Doom! 😱

Alexander Doom wins the 400m men's final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yep, I'm the same. That guff in the studio wrecks my head, really dont like that with RTE. Which was why the Worlds on Virgin last year were great with the world TV feed and then that lad trackside interviewing the Irish athletes and the occasional world star that got lost! Ingebritsen did an interview with him after losing a race for some reason, was odd.

I set up the RTE player going on my laptop and leave it, then turn on vpn and in a separate window switch BBC iPlayer with the Euro feed and keep an eye on both, usually the BBC feed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hold My Hand

RTE must be setting a record for the number of breaks it’s taken in these championships

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hold My Hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,716 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That extra gear bit strength with the Pole

• Advertisement

You could see Natalia Kaczmarek had that in the bag, though there wasn't much in it. The commentator talking just before the race started that anything less than gold would be a disappointment for Rashidat. 🙄 There's nothing wrong with a silver medal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

PB and a silver medal for Adeleke. Sub 49 for Kaczmarek to take the gold, not much more Adeleke could've done.

PB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Don't think it was PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Disappointed for Mawdesley, she's better than she ran in that final

• Advertisement

Don’t necessarily agree with Sonia. Kinda suggested that Adeleke didn’t see it through when she got ahead. She ran so hard the last 75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a testament to Adeleke's standard that Silver feels a little disappointing, but we have to slap ourselves awake and remind ourselves that its her first senior pro season at 21 years old.

She'll learn more from that tonight that a year of work in NCAA

2 Golds and a Silver in the bag for a Europeans....unreal.

PB graphic didn't appear after her time, but pretty sure it was 49.20 before this race? Maybe I'm wrong.

49:07 I think is her new PB now

Definitely. People keep talking about Rashidat, but Sharlene ran faster than Rashidat in the 400m mixed relay final. She said she gave up in the last 50m, she was saying there was a lot going on around her. You could see there was a big gap between the inner runners and the outside 4. I don't know did they get their pacing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Fantastic running and sets her up for a right go at the Olympics. Roll on 4x400 womans

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭whitelaurel

well the commentator was probably right no? She was pissed off with the silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Looked to me like she wasn't running freely in the last 100 m. Possibly a slight injury, or just fatigue from a busy few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Again, no coverage of the steeplechase.

Useless shower of ******ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Well done Rhasidat, brilliant run and it had to take the fastest time this year to beat her, super proud of a Tallaght AC athlete and she's only 21.👏👏👏

yeah defo! Great run though, mightn’t be too disappointed with a PB on reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

She is a national treasure. Something special.

Can't believe it. People aren't just tuning in to watch Adeleke 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

https://worldathletics.org/records/all-time-toplists/sprints/400-metres/all/women/senior

Great race! Am I correct in saying she matched the 16th fastest 400m of all time according to the list above? Well done Rhasidat!

First place belongs to an East German. No suspicion there 😂

EDIT: she’s just been added to the list-17th fastest 400m of all time!

No. It's not the commentator that's running, it's presumptuous on his part. She was disappointed a bit initially, but she's happy enough with the silver medal, of course she wanted the gold, every athlete would. She shouldn't be disappointed though, she ran a PB and was beaten by the better athlete.

he presumed correct though. She was disappointed, very obviously. Often times 2nd place runners react with joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

It was a Freudian slip from Greg Allen, he corrected himself straight after to say a medal not gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

https://olympics.com/en/olympic-games/tokyo-2020/results/athletics/women-s-400m

how many of these go again in Paris and are still hot ****? Coz kaczmarek was down the order in Tokyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Actually, I only tuned in to see Molly Caudery. 😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The girl that beat her ran a PB also and also set a national record.

exciting stuff when you look at those times. I don’t know much about the current standard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ergo

PB in a senior final, a first senior medal and the Olympics to come - as much as we all wanted gold for her, this outcome can help fuel the next 2 months of prep for her plus invaluable lessons learned etc

Well done, what a run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only the winning time in Tokyo faster than the first 2 tonight.

• Advertisement

Well done RTE for showing ZERO of Tuthill's hammer throws live. She's an afterthought, they're showing her interview afterwards at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm just saying it's a uniquely tough race.

1st and 2nd both got PBs and National records.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Even though I always thought Kaczmarek would be the main obstacle, the Pole improved her PB by half a second tonight. Silver and a PB is still a good result and Adeleke will be right in the mix for the Olympic titles. Paulino, Kaczmarek, Rhasidat, maybe Miller-Uibo if she's back to top shape, I will wait to see what Nickisha Pryce can do outside NCAAs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You know you've been spoilt this week when you're a bit deflated with Adeleke winning a silver medal. But she went out in the final and ran a PB, you can't ask for more than that. I think I'm more annoyed with Kaczmarek than anything - annoyed at her for being so good!

Mawdsley will be disappointed with that time, a lot of racing in a short space of time maybe catching up with a few of them now.

Will be interesting to see what team we put out in the relay tomorrow morning. Presumably we're likely to rest Mawdsley and Adeleke - can we make the final without them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Worth noting as well that - other than the obviously doped up Marita Koch wins of the late 70s and 80s - Rhasidat's time tonight would have won every other women's European 400m final in history. An incredible performance, so unlucky not to win another gold.

Sickener for Joshua Hartmann, disqualified in the 200m final after a false start. He would have medaled at least, if not won. All that effort for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Whatever about Kaczmarek, you can easily imagine Rhasidat going under 49s in Paris. That silver might prove excellent for her development and her Olympic medal chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Doc07

this fact may not get the recognition it deserves. Kaczmarek & Rhasidat are basically the fastest Europeans finalists ever and yes I absolutely don’t count the East German doped to have more testosterone than Linford Christie.

Shouted at the telly watching that for the first time since Thomas Barr at Rio. Super night for Irish athletics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Link wouldn't work, video of members in Tallaght AC tonight watching the race and roaring Rhasidat on . Proud night for Tallaght AC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Doc07

maybe immediately after the finish but she was very happy when interviewed and mature for her years, a new superstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think when she saw the top two times, it dawned on her just how fast she had run and the sheer quality of the race - Klaver was miles back in third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Both times are the fastest by Europeans since Marie José Perec won the Olympic gold in Atlanta in 1996. Amazing times by both. Really super run by Adeleke. Kazmarek was always going to be tough to beat and I didn’t think she had a sub 49 in her. Fair play to both of them. I see both on the podium in Paris along with Mariledy Paulino from the Dominican Republic, who is the favourite for gold at this point.

Just a note on Mawdsley. I’m sure she’s devastated by her performance. More than a second off her best. I’m was really hoping for a new PB for her, but it wasn’t to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

One potential future rival is the 18yo Czech girl who finished 5th tonight in a similar time to what Adeleke did 2 years ago at Euros. Will be worth watching.

Also, I don't think Adeleke will do the mixed relays at the Olympics. Her coach will have her super focused on the individual 400.

On a side note, Bonevaccia who was so poor for the Dutch in the mixed relay got 3rd with a sub 45 clocking in the individual 400m.

It says a lot about Adeleke's potential that it actually feels a little disappointing for her to 'only' win silver. 49.07 is a brilliant result though, Kaczmarek was just on another level. Interestingly, Adeleke has actually never beaten Kaczmarek over the distance, she's lost all four duels between them. You feel it's only a matter of time before that changes though.

I wonder what's up with Nordas at the moment, some lingering injury or just woefully out of form? To go from a world bronze to not making it out of a European heat is quite a drop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement