Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Parkside hedge trimmer

Options
  • 22-09-2023 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Anyone use one of these ? Looking at the extension version too but keen to get some reviews before biting the bullet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

I have one of the long reach ones, I went through a couple of ordinary cordless hedge trimmers first. The long one with the adjustable head I think is streets ahead of the basic hedge trimmer unless of course you don't have anything a bit on the high side although the adjustable head bit is handy for doing sides of hedge as well, I do find it very handy. Bit heavy is my only complaint but I've become used to it and use it an awful lot to keep various hedges in trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi There

I have both - the normal and extended. Theyre great for light growth but if you want to for example

lower a beech hedge or do some woodier stuff they are not great- for that i use a petrol

J

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

I bought one and it's ridiculous.

The lead is exactly one centimetre long so you can't do anything with the flipping thing. You have to buy some kind of extension lead somewhere to use it so it's unusable out of the box.

Where would I get a bloody extension lead for this thing?

I can't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Don't know what you bought, I buy nothing but cordless battery ones now. If it's electric which I presume it is with a lead either return it or pick up an extension lead in any diy/hardware shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Do you mean the battery one? I have the long-reach and the standard. The long-reach seems extremely underpowered to be honest. Not quite useless but not too far off it in my opinion.....

• Advertisement

Not the cordless one, the corded long reach one.

The lead is exactly 2cm long, it's attached stuck and won't extend so it's unusable without an extension cord which isn't advertised anywhere that you need to buy a separate extension cord in order to use it at all.

It's bs. I wanted to use it today on the only day in about 3 months that it wasn't raining and I couldn't use it.

Post edited by jimjangles on

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ShadowSA

That is to be expected. Most power tools you need an extension lead. Screwfix will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The lead is exactly 2cm long

2cm as in 2 centimetres? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Samson1

Yes. the cord is exactly 2cms long with a plug hanging off it. I had it on the belt in Lidl, and I thought - no way am I bringing this home and having to cut off the plug and make a join with a proper cable, having paid €65 for that hassle. So I put it back on the shelf.

Plus it seemed a ton weight taking it to the till, so how practical would it be cutting hedges. What kind of person thought it was suitable to put a plug 2cms from the hedge trimmer motor. Idiotic.

I would rather put the €65 towards a proper long reach cordless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

2 centimetre's is less than an inch, have you a link to the product? Are you sure you didn't misread the information about it? I can only think that the lead is 2 metres long because I have never seen a 1 inch power cord in my life, and I am not young!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

No it's as I said, it's 2cm, there's basically no power cord, the plug is stuck to the thing, unusable.

I had it in the box for months so didn't even know. Anyway I've ordered an extension cord off Amazon so that I can use it. I think it's beyond ridiculous really though. I can't comment on whether or not it's any good but not being open about the fact it needs an extension cord is like false advertising really. Lidl shouldn't be allowed to do that. I actually couldn't believe it when I opened it, I was ages trying to figure out how the heck do you extend the plug, where is the fricking lead to plug it in, am I doing something wrong but in the instructions(which are useless and don't explain sweet feck all) it mentions an extension lead which when going through the contents of the box does not exist and has to be found somewhere else and bought separately. It's probably the only time in my life I've bought something that's unusable out of the box and requires an accessory to work.

I felt that people should be warned about this.

Post edited by jimjangles on

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I think you're missing a 0 there. I have one of these and it's 20cm long not 2cm. Electrical cable is expensive and it's a hedge trimmer that costs €65, that's why it doesn't come with a long lead. An extension lead is hardly that obscure an item, I'd have thought almost every home in Ireland has one lying about. Though I'll admit it's a bit of a nuisance the way that it is.

I bought an extension cord and used it with it. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it didn't appear to extend at all to me and was stuck to the trimmer.

Am I missing something with these. It seems useless to the point that it won’t cut anything, even a privet hedge. It’s running, just not working. I suspect I might be doing something wrong but don’t know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I love my cordless short one anyway, just the regular green Parkside one not the black performance version they have in atm, guilty of using it as a bit of a chainsaw at times on very woody bushes but with a fully charged 4ah battery it just rips through stuff. It actually cuts better than the electric extendable version I used to have but I gave that away because I hated it and yes the tiny power cord was one of the things that annoyed me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

I bet it's so it can't cut its own cord. It happens with those corded hedge cutters. More user-friendly to swap the extension when the inevitable happens.

And I'll bet you it's because electrical cable is expensive 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

It does say in the manual

For tension relief of the cable, form a loop of the end of the extension cable and bring this through the opening at the handle and suspend in the tension relief at the grip (7).2. Connect the device to the mains

So I suppose there's an expectation that an extension cable is always used. And sure, what length would suit everyone really?

I'd doubt the've chosen to not put, say, a 3 meter cable on this for cost saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

+1 to the longer Parkside one. I tended to only cut the hedge twice a year and it would be huge at that point. And several car trips to the dump. So took me a full day driving back and forth to dump. Moving the too short extension lead was a faff.

Use the cordless one now and do it maybe every 6 weeks or so. Takes me 1 hour and fits in the brown bin. Plus it looks much tidier.

Advertisement