Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Celebrity name recognition can be huge in elections like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Mullooly wil win a seat. He’ll be transfer friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

come to think of it , Nina would be hugely popular in Kildare and didn’t she also win Dancing on Rte ?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Very true, when voting in the Dublin election I found I really had to search the candidate I wanted to vote for given the sheer number of them. Say alot of people just went based on recognising the name.

Very easy to mess up the preferences too given the length of the ballot, looking like Daly isn't going to get in anyway, surely boylan couldn't be as bad as Daly?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I wonder is it a common occurrence in other member states that celebrities are elected. Wouldn't give one great confidence in the overall effectiveness of the parliament if it is .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looked at the numbers again ya Mullooly shoikd take 3 seat. 12k ahead of Gildernew. He pick up transfers 12k too biga hap to make up even with an exceptionally strong transfer from McManus

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm in the Midlands end of the constituency and she has shown up everywhere randomly over the past month. GAA matches, race meetings - tbf to FG they seem to have managed the geography between Carberry and Walsh very well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very common occurrence in Greece unfortunately. Athletes, actors etc are often get elected.

This time they voted first a journalist from a morning tv news show who is an absolute idiot, but parrots the government line and knows what people want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

That appeals to the FG heartland. We will have to see if she gets elected, and if she gets elected, is she any good. The vote management in FG in MNW looks brilliant.

What they were doing running Mullins from Cork though when they have a guaranteed poll topper with Kelly down in Kerry is a mystery. If they had ran a 2nd candidate from the broad South East area then they might have had a fighting chance at two seats.

The FG vote came out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

is she any good.

Who really knows whether any MEP is 'doing a good job'? I'm sure FG handlers will keep her on a tight rein, as it were, make sure she turns up and votes whatever she is supposed to vote for…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Vm 1 coverage of the election is pathetic compared to RTE.

Its no longer a matter of if Nina gets a seat its a matter of when. She is 16.5k ahead of Mullooly and and 28k ahead of Gildernew.

Also she is 2.5k ahead of her running mate that is nearly 50k votes for the three to overtake her.

The quota is 113k which is going to swallow votes. There is about 220k votes below Gildernew. Cowen and Ming will eat up 70-80k of them getting to or trying to get to the quota. Cowen will get t othe quota

TThe battle is between Mullooly and Gildernew with Mulloly probably to shade it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This country needs a kick up the hole. We deserve what we get. We keep following the status quo.

Nina Carberry as an example, has no business being in politics, never mind Europe. A shocking candidate, clueless. I seen her on the Six One news in a rare live public debate and she was shocking. Had no idea what she was talking about, she was almost like Father Jack, with his, "that would be an ecumenical matter" line. She was quoting what she was taught, but strayed from the script and said she would look after the "stuff", I think she called it if she was there in Europe. The interviewer picked up and quoted her gaffe. She has no experience at all, it's a populist choice from FG and a quota filling decision.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Par for the course with Virgin really, surprised they managed to fit any election coverage in between their repeats of The Chase and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has everywhere stopped counting for tonight? Can I go to bed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Definitely recall her saying it in a radio interview on the morning after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Totally agree. Zero discussion about anything of substance. It's like an x factor episode.

It might have been a populist quota filling choice.…however it worked. She cannot be as embarrassing as Wallace and Daly. She will have experienced FG MEP's I'm Kelly and McHugh to hold her hand. She be grand

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am going to go on a limb here and say that Clare Daly will take a seat in Dublin. It sounds nuts considering she's in 7th place and I haven't seen anyone give her a chance, but hear me out.

She is currently 2.5k behind O'Riordan and 4k behind Cuffe, which is nothing when you consider she's been steadily nibbling into their lead, attracting transfers at a rate of about 2 to 1 against both throughout this count.

SF and Aontu go out next. if Daly was picking up votes from anti-immigration candidates ahead of O'Riordan/Cuffe, she could just as well gain a few here too.

Social Democrats go out next, I would expect Daly to do better than Cuffe here, and possibly even O' Riordan. The latter is the big unknown. She did attract a decent transfer from the SocDems last time over both Labour and the Greens.

PBP currently have 24k ballots and go out after that. Daly will be the biggest beneficiary of these, the question is by how much. Last time out she got about a third of the transfer, neither Cuffe nor O'Riordan will get anywhere near that.

I think Dublin will finish FF/FG/Clare Daly/SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

FF messed up with their 3 candidates srategy. The have more first preferences than FG but tranfers from Blaney to Chambers will not leave them in contention for a 2nd. seat. As Seamus Brennan once said if you don`t get first preferences on the first count you are not going to get them in any count after that.

When either Cuffe or O'Riordan get eliminated they will push the other one back above Claire Daly IMO. One of Cuffe or O'Riordan will be elected. And one of the Boylans. Claire gets eliminated

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

You're ignoring the elimination of cuffe/o'riordan there though (assuming Daly is ahead of both), that'll be the king maker with maybe 40k votes to be distributed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

(From Plastic Sheeting)

Counting in the Ireland South Euro constituency has adjourned for the night.

The count will resume at 9am to distribute Seán Kelly's surplus.

That is likely to take until after lunch and is unlikely to elect any other candidate.

What are they doing down there? They're proceeding at the rate of 2/3 counts per day. At this rate it could take them the rest of the week. How many do they have counting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Augme

Daly will need a lead of at least 15k by the time Cuffe/O'Riordan get eliminated to have any chance. I honestly think she will be well to get ahead of Aodhan, let alone with a lead of 15k. I expect him to be much more transfer friendly than Daly from the SDs, likely ahead from SF but also maybe break even. Daly will need a huge transfer from Brid Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Out of everyone, would love to see Ó Ríordáin not get through. He was so smug when he was being interview by Miriam after the count yesterday. Him and Ivana talking like his campaign was a huge success, and they were back.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

A surplus is the worst thing to happen in a big election as it means they have to go back to the stacks again. It's also the finest form of democracy I've ever seen.

FG really fúcked up running a Cork candidate when they knew Kelly was a certainty. On paper he's a far better candidate than Kelly, but they should have stuck in a candidate down around Carlow/Kilkenny. A former hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Thing's are going so badly for SF , at this stage I would fancy Niall Boylan again to get a seat over Lynn with Cuffe holding his , I ruled him out early this morning and up until the last count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Advertisement