Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I suppose that was my point haven’t seen a lot of thoose players bring there game on and become leaders for there club which they should be doing after winning an all Ireland

Admittedly I have only seen the players involved in intermediate games with there club but all the players you mentioned show flashes of good things but nothing consistently good to warrant putting there hand up for the kk seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Jarlath Burns said this morning it was meant as 37 players and 16 of a backroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

odd that Jarlath Burns would have that information on hand or did he check it out yesterday. It seemed to me that he firstly thanked the panel and then he thanked the staff. Why would he have separated them otherwise.

Think he was on Radio 1 this morning for the Tailteann Cup draw and I'm guessing it came up for discussion.

where is it all going if there is going to be massive back room teams this would surely be a strain on hard pressed co. Boards. Then there would be less money for developing the games. Everybody is getting paid bar the players , where is it going to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

If Jarlath Burns believes Limerick's backroom staff comes to just 16, he's one naive individual.

Or more likely he's a 3-year President who wants comfortable non-controversial term and doesn’t want to grasp the hideous chasm in funding and resources that exist between counties in what is supposedly an amateur sport.

I would think given the huge money JP gave to the GAA two years ago, the appetite for any finger pointing at Limerick by GAA HQ is close to zero.

But sooner or later the GAA must grasp this massive issue and bring in some sort of equalisation process (senior team minimum and maximum budgets surely is something that can be implemented and adhered to).

Look at the lack of success Limerick and Dublin have had at minor and schools’ levels over the last 40 years (1 minor football and 1 school hurling between them). The AI club has been won just once in 53 years by a Limerick team. Yet we are all told to suck it up, they both just have a conveyor belt of great raw talent.

Pull the other one, they haven’t, what they have is a frigging well oiled, well-funded machine that turns a handful of good players into super fit and super drilled inter county players.

Or the even more ridiculous “everyone else must just raise their standard to the same level as Limerick and Dublin”

How? Pull tens of millions out of their holes?

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

Limerick team that started Sunday had 9 players that had at least 1 u21 All Ireland from 2015&17 add in the injured quartet of Finn, O'Donovan, Flanagan and Casey who are in the same boat, that's been the backbone of their team for the last 7-8 years. Limerick are well resourced there's no doubt about it but there's an element of harvesting everything they can out of a golden generation just like ye 2006-15, there biggest advantages at the moment in my opinion are because they're so successful they've everyone involved they wanted nobody retired reasonably early or went travelling, Kinnerick is a step ahead of everyone when it comes to coaching and the inherit belief after all their success, the goal Clare got just before HT on Sunday would be a sucker punch for most teams didn't effect them at all.

Waterford had every bit as talented a group at minor and u21 as Limerick did 8-10 years ago and have won nothing.

Anyone thinking this is just a very talented bunch that Limerick are getting the most out of, essentially, their time in the sun, is likely to get a very rude awakening. Look at the seamless way they are introducing new players who didn’t set the world alight at underage, or turning journeymen players into serious intercounty hurlers

We were told the same thing with Dublin 4-5 years ago, and now with almost all their supposed generational talents retired, they’re still miles ahead of everyone despite very little underage success.

Open your eyes, this is an issue that won’t go away. Competing with a country that has a budget of maybe 10 times that of yours is total against the ethos of the GAA.

It is also dispiriting and demoralising and will lead to more and more senior inter county players stepping away.

If Limerick and Dublin have the best players, great, then let them operate off the same training budget as everyone else.

Waterford had 1 strong team who won minor in 13 and u21 in 16, Limerick's teams spanned over a bigger timespan with lads born 1994-97 with the exception of Kyle Hayes, on my earlier point that Limerick lost nobody from those strong teams, Waterford lost Tom Devine at 23 as he wanted to concentrate on his career in medicine, Conor and Austin Glesson aged 28-29 stepped away from intercounty this year, Shane Bennett most have taken 3 or 4 breaks from intercounty at this stage, call me judgemental if you want but always taught a few of the Waterford players didn't look in the condition they should for that level. Believe it or not people taught Kilkenny's success would never stop at 1 point too.

Waterford minor 2014 were also very strong, took Lim to replay in Munster final and us to xtime in semi. So they were at least a 2 year strong crop, and accept Limerick's was 3.

My point is there was little or nothing in terms of raw talent to seperate Lim and Waterford at minor 2012-2014, while most of the current all conquering Limerick team came from that group.

I think you are kinda proving my point, Limericks good crop walked in to a thoroughly professional and hugely well-funded set up, and thrived, Waterford didn’t, their players never reaching the same level of conditioning, never felt as valued, never had the same level of facilities or back up, because frankly, the cost of that was beyond the reach of Waterford. Whether Waterford could ever have reached Limericks current level if the roles were reversed (Waterford with a massive funding advantage), we will never know,

Look, my final word for now on it.

If Limerick or Dublin simply have a golden crop that is more talented than the rest, then there should be no problem with them agreeing to having all counties competing for the AI having largely the same budgets.

• Advertisement

Limerick aren't the only county who've made harvested from a strong crop, most of your golden generation had underage all irelands, Cork's team of the noughties was built around u21 wins in the late 90s, Waterford aren't the only county either that didn't get what they wanted out a talented crop, Galway basically for the last 30 years for example even Limerick themselves got nothing out of 3 u21s from 2000-02. Just to clarify JP just didn't appear in 2018, he's sponsored Limerick since 2005, 1 big difference in Limerick compared to your golden generation is how little the team has changed, in the last 5 years Cathal O'Neill is really the only player to force his way in, Shane O'Brien was playing due to injuries on Sunday, with ye Richie Hogan and TJ broke in around 09-10, Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly 2011 etc. No point really comparing hurling and football, modern football fitness is the main currency, hurling ofcourse conditioning is huge but your skill levels are still ultimately the main currency. The Dublin comparison is a bit extreme for example no comparison in the disgraceful manner Croke Park is essentially the footballers home ground, it's the equivalent of letting Man City play nearly every Premier league game at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

This Limerick team have the most competitive route to any team winning All Irelands and deserve great credit, Munster is a mindfield. Dublin footballers are excellent but the system is a joke and has has put me off football altogether, basically a walk through Leinster and all matches in Croke Park. Kilkenny's 5 in a row was unbelievable team but had an easy route to the All Ireland semi final every year and could peak for that. Limerick are well looked after but most top intercounty teams are well looked after too, if you go through the Kilkenny team nearly all the lads have the time and resources to put in the effort the Limerick players do.

Weather its the quality of the opposition or just quailty of Kilkenny team at the time but 1 difference between that time and Limerick at the moment is Tipp from 07-11 were the only team to stress KK in any meaningful way compared to Limerick now had 2 big battles with ye and Galway in 2022, in 2023 every team in Munster put it up to them and Cork and Clare did again this year. Its noticeable that there's an argument that Quaid has been player of the championship up to now where as your goalkeeper rarely had to shine to that level, actually had a look on Wikipedia and PJ Ryan in 2009 is the only KK All Star goalkeeper from 1994-2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I’m a massive admirer of this Limerick team and I’m not saying one team is better than the other but I would argue that our great team had much tougher opposition in their era.

The Cork and Tipp teams of that era were exceptional teams that managed to win a couple of All-Irelands of their own despite Kilkennys great side.

Cork were going for three in a row in 2006 and that Tipp team would have easily done back to back and more if KK weren’t around at the same time.

.Not forgetting a very good Waterford side with unbelievable players like Ken McGrath, Tony Browne, Paul Flynn etc… Galway and Clare were always competitive around that time also.

All these counties are struggling at the moment Todays Cork and Tipp are not even getting to Munster finals and often struggling to get out of Munster.

This Limerick team’s biggest rivals in Munster at the moment are a decent Clare team and outside of Munster an average Kilkenny team. Again that’s not Limerick’s fault and they may well have beaten all the great teams of the past but I certainly don’t think they have had tougher opposition than the great Kilkenny team .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

2 of the best teams of all time. That bloody Limerick half back line will go down as the greatest of all time. I have seen it so many times when opposition put the squeeze on its the half back line that come up trumps. Any half back line that score 5/6 points a game from play and defend as well as they do will take some effort to beat them. Kyle Hayes is a freak.

I think that Cork team tailed off after 06 with strikes etc. Ye minced them in 08. Waterford probably got to the final past their peak which I think was 04-07, 07 was their best chance, they beat that very good Cork team after a replay and had their 3rd game in 14 days v Limerick in the semi final they would have been underdogs in that final but would almost certainly have troubled ye more than Limerick, worked with lads from Waterford who maintain if yourselves or Cork in that situation your county boards who have fought to get that semi final put back a week, they also felt goalie and full back was their Achilles heel at the time. Tipp were a rabble until Sheedy's 1st stint but they had a serious side from 2008 onwards.

Just to clarify when I said some Waterford players looked poorly conditioned that's not comparing them to Limerick that's comparing to them to all the other top 9 sides including Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Knockdromin

Can’t really compare the two. Both teams changed the game. Kilkenny didn’t have the same tactical structure of this Limerick team but they definitely had the individuals who would have thrived in it. And Limerick’s structure would not work had they not had the quality of player to implement it.

Both teams mischaracterised in some ways. Kilkenny and intensity/physicality. Limerick and their system. Neither gets sufficient credit for the standard of hurler they produced in their time at the top. Tommy Walsh is still my favourite hurler. Tough as nails, hurled hard but holy fcuk could that man hurl. Even if you managed to match the physicality and intensity of that Kilkenny team you then had to overcome the fact that on top of that they also had the better hurlers.

And Tipp did match Kilkenny in terms of work rate from 2009. But Kilkenny’s superior quality of hurler is why they ultimately fairly comprehensively won that rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Limerick are an outstanding team, the only crib I would have is the amount of thrown balls. Ironically, I think Limerick would benefit the most if the handpass rule was enforced as they are excellent at stick passes. The first time that I became aware of the extent of their throwing was the u21 All Ireland final of 2017. I thought that I was living in a parrallel universe such was the extent of it. I don't totally blame Limerick, I blame the GAA who, for whatever reason, are choosing to ignore this blight on our game which is destroying hurling

Steps, throwing of the ball and lads buying soft frees either by pulling an opponent's arm towards them to look like their been held, by putting their hands in the air to suggest a high tackle or barging into an opponent and then falling to the ground are all blights on the game. Every county is gulity of these in all honesty and anyone claiming my county isn't gulity of these but county A,B,C is are deluded in my opinion no matter where they're from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

Forchange has the Dublin flag put away but don't worry folks he is waiting on the edge of his seat to come on here when kk lose to say he told you so. He needs to have a good look at himself or get himself a man or a woman whatever he's into. Woeful childish and sad the way he carries on. Everyone has a opinion but this lad is an awful stones. He won't be seen until a loss.

Regarding limerick having the huge setup and best of everything of course is a huge advantage but hurling is still a simple game it's all about skill and speed. Hegartys goal In the all ireland 2 years ago or the munster final where he threw it over the clare defender, the long range points the half back line get. Ya can have what money ya want you still have to do things with the ball and make the right decision. Limerick have the best players but are unbelievably coached. Kinnerk is absolutely unbelievable and he is a huge cog in the wheel. Locally look at some clubs around ireland with huge set ups and look at the best club of all time the shamrocks. A very basic training facility but just keep producing players and know what to do with the ball. I do think it's out of control now and can't be managed but they can't buy players like soccer. This won't last forever. Nothing does

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Agreed, all teams do these things to varying extents now, but I don't think Limerick's role in making systematic throwing a feature of modern hurling or how it has contributed to Limerick's success should ever be forgotten.

Some people say that even if the throw was eliminated somehow, Limerick would still prevail and that may be so, but it does not change the fact that they have many times got a foothold in a tight game by dropping back and using their throwing triangles to work it through the opposition into a scoring position. It has literally helped them win tight games, even if 10% of their throws were penalized, the difference would be seen on the scoreboard. Their exceptional ball handling is often praised but the clear role that throwing has in this is mostly ignored

The fact that they have some absolutely exceptional players, in particular Hayes and Hegarty, or the fact that throwing is now the norm, doesn't mean that these things can't be pointed out.

I agree with all of that and as long as it’s not at our expense I’d have no issues with this Limerick team going on to do the five in a row. A fantastic team with a brilliant management team, no doubt about it.

Cork were going for three in a row in 06 and were regarded as an exceptional team at the time, they tailed off because that Kilkenny team ended their reign. I’ve heard it said lots of times that Waterford were stronger in 07 than 08 but nobody was saying that before the 08 final… this theory only came about after KK hammered them in the final.

You’re right about Tipp being an excellent team from 08 onwards, Kilkenny played them in six championship knockout matches six years in a row from 09 to 2014 winning five out of six. Kilkenny also won ten league titles under Brian Cody although two of them came after the “great team “ if you like, had finished playing.
    They were a great team but they had to beat great teams on their journey.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

Waterford struggled alot in 08 compared to 07 lost Munster 1st round to Clare and ended up in the semi final through a soft draw in the backdoor more than anything, only performed to a high standard once that year v Tipp in the All Ireland SF. Flynn, McGrath and Dan Shanahan were all showing their age by 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Knockdromin

Waterford weren’t going to trouble Kilkenny that much in 2007. Once Cork fell away post 2006 nobody troubled them until Liam Sheedy got Tipp ticking. For all the talk of how they had such a handy route to the AI series via a weaker provincial championship they weren’t that much more troubled by Munster teams or Galway than they were by their Leinster opponents.

Waterford were flattered by winning a fairly weak Munster championship in 2007. Very poor Tipp and Clare teams that year, Limerick were average and Cork were on the decline and more interested in off the pitch matters.

It gets forgotten just how far ahead Kilkenny were of everyone else before Tipp came to the table and eventually Galway too. They were untouchable for a spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

So how do people think KK compare to 2023? I don't think we were any better in the round robin stages and there are a lot of questions about the Leinster final because of the poor Dublin performance. It is likely that we will go into the AI semi-final with 13 of last years team with Cian Kenny and Carey/Shane Murphy replacing Fogarty and Tom Phelan. 12 changes from last years AI final team where Wally replaced an injured Blanchfield.

There are signs that Murphy's puckouts are improving and that the quality of ball into the forwards is improving, hopefully this can be maintained against higher quality opposition. Donnelly has been consistently good. The injury breaks may work in Mullen's and Cody's favour. The subs bench still looks weak, Tom Phelan needs to regain form. Carey is an addition. Molloy promising. I was dissappointed Owen Wall didn't get a run against Dublin as he is a goal threat. Overall, we haven't closed the gap on Limerick

They were good enough to get to a final beating Sheedys Tipp in the semi and were a very good team, Tony Browne, Shanahan, Flynn , McGrath , John Mullane etc…and as I said excellent Tipp and Cork teams so my point about the opposition still stands.

Limerick might not be as good as last year so the gap could be smaller and we also beat them in a league semi final and don’t say that doesn’t count it sure does count because teams like Limerick want to win everything. This open training session tomorrow night I suppose ye are all going to the park or is it too far away. Comerman I’ll come out to Castlecomer and collect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to kk players and management last weekend. It mightn't mean much to a lot of people on the outside but it definitely means something for kk players and its when we arent in them or get bet in them we only appreciate it. For all the negative talk earlier in the year and talk of lads not committing etc alot of the panel and extended panel seem happy to be involved. Its good to see lads like denis walsh,stephen donnelly,ian byrne,peter macdonald,podge moylan,david fogarty,conor heary and newcomer marty murphy enjoying the celebrations. I would be hopeful after a few years around the setup some of these lads might kick on. Kk people wont get carried away and its later in the year these lads will be really judged but donnelly,mossy,cian kenny are really stepping up as leaders now and adding more consistency to their game. Mr forchange will be delighted to see players improving.

To be fair to kk they deserve a bit of credit the way they shut down the running game. They reviewed parnell park and got things right the 2nd day.They figured out wexford at half time the last day but mossy and tj drove wides they probably wont hit again to put that game to bed but Bigger test await to see have they something up their sleeves for the likes of limerick. Everything has to be taken into consideration and dublin downed tools early but puckouts were a bit better. I do worry about tommy corner back. Blanchfield is improving everyday he goes out. To be fair to Billy ryan he worked fierce hard. The 4 week break is a gift and we usually manage it well. I dont expect to see much at the open session tomor night but its great idea and great for young lads to get in and see their heros.

Limerick didnt have to be at their best to beat clare but i always felt they could up the gears if needed. Hegarty and hayes are unbelievable. Nicky quaid is absolutely vital to this limerick team. I see one of his puckouts sunday hegarty was out near the sideline and quaid hit a lovely ball into space so he could run onto it catch and over the bar. We are miles away from anything like that but this is the benchmark. I couldnt believe clare hit a mountain of route one ball instead of working the ball.

Offally continued the great season but laois will be kicking themselves with all the wides. A crucial and correct decision near the end the laois lad took a load of steps and it went up the field and offally scored but the match sunday teams could take as many steps as they wanted and get away with it.

Advertisement