Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer, Three Arena, 10th June 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great gig from both bands. Many of the crowd appeared to be auld lads accompanied by one or two offspring (like me). SP highlight for me was Bullet with Butterfly Wings. Plus Billy's kids were cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My ears are still ringing, and I had seats. Was that a fairly loud gig or am I just getting really old?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great gig by the Pumpkins and nicely paced in terms of 'hits' etc

How long did teen mortgage play ??

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

….

Post edited by cheese sandwich on

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Whooper gig by both bands. Weezer played a hitastic set. The pumpkins had enough absolute classics in there to keep everyone happy. Highlights 1979,Zero, Mayonnaise. Jimmy is such an amazing drummer. The star of the show.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really enjoyed the Weezer set. A few mediocre songs there as is to be expected with a band that has a dozen so-so to bad albums alongside the two great ones, but very Blue album heavy which was great. Was amazed the crowd around me weren’t more enthused by the Pinkerton songs and a few of the non single songs from Blue. Very muted reaction to the likes of In The Garage IMO, despite being absolute bangers. At least where I was standing! But I had a great time at least :)

First time seeing the Pumpkins. Really don’t care for their later stuff so a lot of filler (and the long song before Cherub Rock felt like it went on for an eternity), but they belted out the classics with plenty of aplomb. Wouldn’t have gone to see them live on their own, but glad I got to tick it off the list as never got to see them at my peak fandom as a teenager. Was certainly a pleasure hearing the likes of Bullet, Mayonnaise and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Didn't expect no big screens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Renditions of Gossamer have hit 35 minutes, so seek solace in the fact that it was only ten minutes tonight.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

A really superb double bill.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

Thought Weezer were meh at best but I admit I've never been a huge fan. I did enjoy Hashpipe though.

Pumpkins I thought were superb. Setlist maybe a little disjointed but enough to keep everyone happy. Billy's vocals were top notch and the sound was great (at least where we were sitting). Still buzzin' after it 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Thought Weezer were the dictionary definition of going through the motions. At least pretend like we're the best audience on the tour. No interaction at all beyond saying it's a dream come true to play with the Smashing Pumpkins. Honestly thought Celebrity Skin was the highlight for them.

Pumpkins were mixed. The crowd much preferred the old stuff so there were peaks and troughs. Just as the crowd would get going they'd change it up and the momentum was lost. Cherub Rock and Zero were the highlights for me. About half way through a group of security guards came down and stood about 20 feet from the centre stage to stop anything too rowdy which was a bit heavy handed as the crowd were well behaved.

Overall lots of hits but a few misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Brilliant double bill. Was well down in the middle for Weezer. They were class but I felt that the crowd was a bit subdued for them. Plenty of singing along but very little bouncing around. It was the same at the start of the Pumpkins. Ended up moving right up to the front and got a proper jump around that got more manic towards the end, especially Cherub Rock and Zero.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

With their history of the venue I'm not surprised about the security. They will always remember the point in 96. It was on bullet as well I think that the accident happened. I was in the first few rows that night and it was horrible. They were fantastic last night

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ligind

Waited over 30 years to see the pumpkins and was not disappointed, thought they were excellent.

I kind of checked out after machina and zwan so was not as familiar with the "newer" songs.

Mayonaise live is one more tick off the bucket list.

Weezer were fairly good too.

Getting to the toilets during the 15 mins between Weezer and SP was a magical mystery tour , directed by security I ended up doing a full circle of the building and ended up queueing back where I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Was 4 or 5 rows from the front, great show. Didn’t really think anything of Teen Mortgage, thought Weezer were amazing, Only In Dreams was phenomenal. Perfect Situation and In The Garage also great. Although I thought the sound was rubbish for the first ~4 songs.

Pumpkins were also very good, though I thought the same about the sound for them. Spellbinding was a highlight for me, along with Gossamer, Cherub Rock, Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

Here's my take.

Personally I thought Weezer were better. Tighter and sounded more rehearsed and no filler, tune after tune for an epic 70 minute lean set. I love when a band just motors through the hits no chit chat or 'we love you people we've never met' nonsense. I'm a fan so might be biased.

Pumpkins were good but few things.

Why is Katie Cole in the band? I really don't get why they need her she does very very little and at times was just wandering around at a loss as to what to do. I never understand why bands have touring musicians that do very very little actual music. Smashing Pumpkins don't need a passenger or a Happy Mondays 'Bez' there was songs where she did literally nothing.

Why did Kiki not play on tonight tonight and step back? Does she not know it?

I also wonder why they need Kiki she's basically playing the parts James would normally play so he's made a rhythm guitarist moreso than a lead guitarist now. Do they really need 4 guitarists on stage? Kiki/James/Billy/Katie.

I didn't get billy bringing the kids on stage seemed silly and pandering to the crowd; was odd in my view.

I was also little miffed there was no moshing, back in the day we'd tear into one another at Smashing Pumpkins gigs but yesterday around me it was a lot of youngsters. Maybe the kids these days don't know what moshing is who knows but loved a bit of moshing/slam dancing back in the day to these bands.

I also didn't get their cover of Zoo Station I thought it was a muddled mess and the band haven't probably rehearsed it properly or for long enough; it's also a poor song in the first place the worst off Achtung Baby so why did they choose that to cover?

Anyway

On the positives it was a very enjoyable evening, sound was good overall some proper bangers played, great to see one of rocks great drummers and everyone was in good spirits. 2 hours from pumpkins too so was a long show with something for everyone.

Overall 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

I was on the fence about going due to other family financial commitments this month but couldn't resist after seeing the set list for Birmingham. Having been a (very bad) drummer in a grunge band in the 90s it was a bucket list mission to see Jimmy C live and he did not fail to deliver. Thru the Eyes of Ruby and Jelly Belly and Bullet were the highlights for me.

It was up there with seeing Dave Gilmour do Comfortably Numb live at the Albert hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bike2wkr

Brilliant gig. I've never listened to Weezer in depth but know a good few of their songs. I'm impressed... great band and performance.

Thought the pumpkins were great too. Very loud! Almost heavy metal at times. Nice to hear a good mix of the hits and their own rendition of zoo station. Ava adore was my highlight and mayonnaise.

May I ask what was it about that night that made it so dangerous?

Were people drunk or drugged up? Was there fighting?

I do like a raucous crowd myself but that infamous night seems to have had people who were unhinged or crazy and I've been at gigs where there is a energy coming off that is ill willed or malevolent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Ava adore was my highlight also. The tiny bit of crowd interaction.

But a great gig from them. I am working through the bands from my youth (youth is wasted in the young and I was broke to see them then). Billy’s voice is still comparable to 30 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Katie Cole at least provides female backing vocals which were on the original songs from 90s, I've no idea why Kiki Wong is there. They gave her a solo on one of the newer songs towards the end of the set but other than that I don't think I could make out a note she was playing all night. They ended up with 3 guitarists when James Iha rejoined but when Jeff Schroeder left they really didn't need to replace him.

Bringing his kids on was bizarre too. I watched a gig of theirs from last year on YouTube a while back and he did it there too so he just wheels them out on stage for a song at every gig?

Well it should be obvious why Kiki is there. Sex appeal, sex sells. I really think it is that simple I know Smashing Pumpkins die hards might disagree but they could have picked from thousands of guitarists but they picked one who is a very attractive Asian woman with an penchant for wearing latex and leather on 'merit' alone right? 😉 Let's be honest, many of these bands are doing nostalgia type tours and they are getting on why not have a member who's a looker who's easy on the eyes on their tours? I don't think they have to do it but Smashing Pumpkins aren't the only band at it either, Mercury Rev have a new member also who just happens to be a stunning woman who dresses quite provocatively also.

Kiki Wong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I had bought an extra ticket and unfortunately, has to sell. Went on toutless (I'm on there years) and had a pretty crap experience for the first time. One wanted it for free (not even a tenner) so I explained nicely that having spent 90e to see a band such as the pumpkins, that was a bit of an insult.

Another contacted me and agreed a price and told me he was 20 mins away. Therefore, the start of my gig was waiting around the entrance (so I could get a signal) for someone who didn't show.

Ended up contacting another who got their for 9.

My specific intentions with Weezer was to be up the front. Very disappointed as a result to have to watch from the back.

Their set however was brilliant. I loved the blue and green albums so much and it was amazing to see them live.

Like another here, after Zwan I zoned out of the Pumpkins and while it was absolutely fantastic to see them too, I selfishly would have liked some more off Siamese Dream. The songs I did know were sublime. (Didn't think Zoo Station worked btw). Would love to see them again, whenever that might be.

Someone wanted the ticket for free? WOW what a proper tight wad and user.

Agreed zoo station was terrible I didn't get it at all, the only 'poor' song they did IMO.

I have a rule with spare tickets, I have a price and a time. If you can't meet I don't care if it goes to waste I'm not missing bands I may never ever see again obliging someone waiting around. Feck em. Can't stand these cheapskates who think they can use and abuse as they want a ticket for half nothing or in your case nothing!

It's you doing them a massive favour selling a ticket cheap not the other way around.

I don't think it was drink or drugs. The old point used to have barriers at various sections on the floor. On that occasion there was a.surge to the front stage as the band played some of the heavier songs from meloncollie. There were quite a lot of younger people at the front and they simply couldn't take pressure coming from behind and collapsed. Unfortunately that poor girl didn't survive the crush. Several of my friends also got caught in it. One broke her leg . No one realised what had happened and the band tried to play on until D'Arcy tearfully announced someone had died.

Plus crowd surfing was perfectly fine back then along with stage diving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Zoo Station was fantastic. Thru the eyes of Ruby was sublime, sound was as good as it gets in the point the stuff from Atum was poorly placed in the set as it killed momentum.

"Don't you f***ing boo. There's a girl backstage, dying. Don't you care?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭LowOdour

We had brilliant seats in Block D, but id say anyone in the nose bleeds might have been miffed at no screen.

Saying that, the amount of people who were up & down to the bar, arriving late, leaving early and so on was mad for the cost of the ticket.

Also a few people chancing their arm sitting other people's seats, which is such shite.

Weezer - unfortunately only caught the end. Night was as much about seeing them as SP, so was happy that insaw the few songs I did.

SP - enjoyed them very much. Im not a mega fan by any stretch so like a few have posted, the firat half of the show wa s better than the second.

Disarm my favourite SP song so that was great to hear live Everlasting Gaze is a great early track, Spellbinding also brilliant.

My main take away was that it was great to be at a proper rock gig, feels.like an eternity since ive seen a heavy guitar show.

Post edited by LowOdour on

• Advertisement

For me, the return of James while Jeff was still there was a bit like the Adrian Smith/Janick Gers situation in Iron Maiden. We've now got three guitarists and one of them is going to end up surplus to requirement, so Janick can just throw his guitar around all night.

Billy probably got used to the three guitar arrangement (some have commented that it allowed him concentrate on the vocals more), so when Jeff left, he evidently felt a replacement was required. I think Kiki is now definitely surplus to requirement.

Katie used to do keyboards and backing vocals. I don't know why she's not still on keyboards, as it would give her a more rooted standing in the band (figuratively and literally), rather than have her standing around like a Yellow Pack Stevie Nicks.

Advertisement