Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer, Three Arena, 10th June 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Event poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Intentional to a limited degree, especially with summer festivals dates which always land on weekends to work around.
    Big London stadium shows like a Wembley will be a Saturday so for likes of green day we will usually get the Wednesday or Thursday show.
    London arenas only have so many Saturdays to give so Dublin doesn’t get that bad a deal overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,197 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Yes thats true.

London actually doesn't get that many weekend Arena shows, its a big market, so high demand means they dont need to use weekend slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

'After party' is an amazing piece of propaganda and marketing. You literally just have to play a few of the bands songs to be an 'after party' It's amazing marketing they make it sound like the band will be there.

Nope, after party in Ireland means the bar playing 3 or 4 of the bands songs. That's it really!

Green Room bar close to 3arena magically has an 'after party' for every single artist who plays the 3arena. Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 murphytrim

I have a standing ticket for sale for tonight for €92. Let me know if interested.

Got an email about 'Henry Winkler live in Dublin on Wednesday'

Good week for it

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

On my way to Dublin now. Bus was only 5 minutes late rather than it's usual 30 to 40 minutes so I might actually make the start of Weezer!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

I just want to have a few drinks and listen to my kind of music, I wasnt going out to try and score with Kiki wong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'll get the bus to ringsend have a pint or 2 and then walk across the east link. So handy. And proper pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

What's wrong with Kiki Wong? Aim high mate.

Yeah went over there today, proper old school 'Dub' pubs. No bullshit tolerated

Will be doing it again for future 3Arena gigs

Its Jimmy Chamberlin's birthday today.

nice way to celebrate

Get ready for 'ole ole ole happy birthday' bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

Enjoy lads. I was hoping to get a last minute ticket, but after a few mental weeks it's a blessing I didn't have a ticket to begin with.

I have a standing ticket going spare. Would take €50 for it if you’re interested!

Shite got in at 18.40 and still missed Teen Mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

Sorry, but I just can't tonight. Hope you get face value for it there.

Block P is great value

• Advertisement

That was a **** set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Weezer were class!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MacPint

sound quality to right of stage is shite. No idea what has gone wrong.

moved to middle/left. Much better. Weezer smashed it and Smashing Pumpkins surpassed it! Great gig

Should add, was really hoping Weezer would play No one Else but if the twitter crowd/outrage police were annoyed at Pink Triangle can’t imagine what they would say about No One Else! Rivers was young ffs!

Is it over already ?

still two songs to go. But I’m off. Driving home so wanna get on the North Circular early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are they not closing with Zero? I'd do traffic on the way home for Zero!

fair point but I’m more a Weezer fan tbh. As much as I like the pumpkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭T.V Eye

Sounded great in the middle. Some set by Weezer but Mayonaise made my night.

Great gig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Got to my seat about 30 seconds before Weezer started. Have seen Weezer and Smashing Pumpkins both once before. Really enjoyed that. There was a great crowd for Weezer. Undone (The Sweater Song) and 1979 by Pumpkins standouts for me. On the bus back home now. Smashing Pumpkins on the bus radio nowas I write this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great gig from both bands. Many of the crowd appeared to be auld lads accompanied by one or two offspring (like me). SP highlight for me was Bullet with Butterfly Wings. Plus Billy's kids were cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My ears are still ringing, and I had seats. Was that a fairly loud gig or am I just getting really old?

Great gig by the Pumpkins and nicely paced in terms of 'hits' etc

How long did teen mortgage play ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

….

Post edited by cheese sandwich on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Whooper gig by both bands. Weezer played a hitastic set. The pumpkins had enough absolute classics in there to keep everyone happy. Highlights 1979,Zero, Mayonnaise. Jimmy is such an amazing drummer. The star of the show.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really enjoyed the Weezer set. A few mediocre songs there as is to be expected with a band that has a dozen so-so to bad albums alongside the two great ones, but very Blue album heavy which was great. Was amazed the crowd around me weren’t more enthused by the Pinkerton songs and a few of the non single songs from Blue. Very muted reaction to the likes of In The Garage IMO, despite being absolute bangers. At least where I was standing! But I had a great time at least :)

First time seeing the Pumpkins. Really don’t care for their later stuff so a lot of filler (and the long song before Cherub Rock felt like it went on for an eternity), but they belted out the classics with plenty of aplomb. Wouldn’t have gone to see them live on their own, but glad I got to tick it off the list as never got to see them at my peak fandom as a teenager. Was certainly a pleasure hearing the likes of Bullet, Mayonnaise and the like.

Didn't expect no big screens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Renditions of Gossamer have hit 35 minutes, so seek solace in the fact that it was only ten minutes tonight.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Maya Hawke, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

A really superb double bill.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Maya Hawke, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭COH

Thought Weezer were meh at best but I admit I've never been a huge fan. I did enjoy Hashpipe though.

Pumpkins I thought were superb. Setlist maybe a little disjointed but enough to keep everyone happy. Billy's vocals were top notch and the sound was great (at least where we were sitting). Still buzzin' after it 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Thought Weezer were the dictionary definition of going through the motions. At least pretend like we're the best audience on the tour. No interaction at all beyond saying it's a dream come true to play with the Smashing Pumpkins. Honestly thought Celebrity Skin was the highlight for them.

Pumpkins were mixed. The crowd much preferred the old stuff so there were peaks and troughs. Just as the crowd would get going they'd change it up and the momentum was lost. Cherub Rock and Zero were the highlights for me. About half way through a group of security guards came down and stood about 20 feet from the centre stage to stop anything too rowdy which was a bit heavy handed as the crowd were well behaved.

Overall lots of hits but a few misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Brilliant double bill. Was well down in the middle for Weezer. They were class but I felt that the crowd was a bit subdued for them. Plenty of singing along but very little bouncing around. It was the same at the start of the Pumpkins. Ended up moving right up to the front and got a proper jump around that got more manic towards the end, especially Cherub Rock and Zero.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭saffron22

With their history of the venue I'm not surprised about the security. They will always remember the point in 96. It was on bullet as well I think that the accident happened. I was in the first few rows that night and it was horrible. They were fantastic last night

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ligind

Waited over 30 years to see the pumpkins and was not disappointed, thought they were excellent.

I kind of checked out after machina and zwan so was not as familiar with the "newer" songs.

Mayonaise live is one more tick off the bucket list.

Weezer were fairly good too.

Getting to the toilets during the 15 mins between Weezer and SP was a magical mystery tour , directed by security I ended up doing a full circle of the building and ended up queueing back where I started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Was 4 or 5 rows from the front, great show. Didn’t really think anything of Teen Mortgage, thought Weezer were amazing, Only In Dreams was phenomenal. Perfect Situation and In The Garage also great. Although I thought the sound was rubbish for the first ~4 songs.

Pumpkins were also very good, though I thought the same about the sound for them. Spellbinding was a highlight for me, along with Gossamer, Cherub Rock, Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

Here's my take.

Personally I thought Weezer were better. Tighter and sounded more rehearsed and no filler, tune after tune for an epic 70 minute lean set. I love when a band just motors through the hits no chit chat or 'we love you people we've never met' nonsense. I'm a fan so might be biased.

Pumpkins were good but few things.

Why is Katie Cole in the band? I really don't get why they need her she does very very little and at times was just wandering around at a loss as to what to do. I never understand why bands have touring musicians that do very very little actual music. Smashing Pumpkins don't need a passenger or a Happy Mondays 'Bez' there was songs where she did literally nothing.

Why did Kiki not play on tonight tonight and step back? Does she not know it?

I also wonder why they need Kiki she's basically playing the parts James would normally play so he's made a rhythm guitarist moreso than a lead guitarist now. Do they really need 4 guitarists on stage? Kiki/James/Billy/Katie.

I didn't get billy bringing the kids on stage seemed silly and pandering to the crowd; was odd in my view.

I was also little miffed there was no moshing, back in the day we'd tear into one another at Smashing Pumpkins gigs but yesterday around me it was a lot of youngsters. Maybe the kids these days don't know what moshing is who knows but loved a bit of moshing/slam dancing back in the day to these bands.

I also didn't get their cover of Zoo Station I thought it was a muddled mess and the band haven't probably rehearsed it properly or for long enough; it's also a poor song in the first place the worst off Achtung Baby so why did they choose that to cover?

Anyway

On the positives it was a very enjoyable evening, sound was good overall some proper bangers played, great to see one of rocks great drummers and everyone was in good spirits. 2 hours from pumpkins too so was a long show with something for everyone.

Overall 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

I was on the fence about going due to other family financial commitments this month but couldn't resist after seeing the set list for Birmingham. Having been a (very bad) drummer in a grunge band in the 90s it was a bucket list mission to see Jimmy C live and he did not fail to deliver. Thru the Eyes of Ruby and Jelly Belly and Bullet were the highlights for me.

It was up there with seeing Dave Gilmour do Comfortably Numb live at the Albert hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bike2wkr

Brilliant gig. I've never listened to Weezer in depth but know a good few of their songs. I'm impressed... great band and performance.

Thought the pumpkins were great too. Very loud! Almost heavy metal at times. Nice to hear a good mix of the hits and their own rendition of zoo station. Ava adore was my highlight and mayonnaise.

May I ask what was it about that night that made it so dangerous?

Were people drunk or drugged up? Was there fighting?

I do like a raucous crowd myself but that infamous night seems to have had people who were unhinged or crazy and I've been at gigs where there is a energy coming off that is ill willed or malevolent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭893bet

Ava adore was my highlight also. The tiny bit of crowd interaction.

But a great gig from them. I am working through the bands from my youth (youth is wasted in the young and I was broke to see them then). Billy’s voice is still comparable to 30 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement