Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I voted for her i looked at the sheet and she was the only person i recognised apart from a few wasters who i wouldn't give the steam of my p!$$ to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

But which is better or worse - A Nina Carberry, who goes over to be a very quiet small cog but in a clear bloc that is delivering a European policy, or at least has influence and a plan.

Or the likes of a Wallace, Daly, Niall Boylan that go over with no clear plan other than to 'stick it to the elite' - usually vote contrarian to everyone else, and have no real influence on any policy beyond occasional rant.

It's a genuine question - in both cases individually they offer very little, but the Daly or Wallace type might make a headline to embarrasses the higher ups into a tweak to policy, whereas a Carberry can be used by FG to say to the EPP we'll take our 4 seats to another Bloc unless we get a, b or c

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think Gibney's transfers will be key for Cuffe and O'Riordan… they need a lot from that 15,000. Then if one gets ahead of the other, they have a source of transfers to get over the line.

I had similar thoughts on FF \ FG not having any surplus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most of the candidates which hae been eliminated so far are not candidates you'd expect to transfer strongly to GP and LAB though. the real fun starts now. all the fringe right wing candidates who were never in contention have been eliminated, and i'm not going to guess how aontu redistribute.

i'm not calling it either way, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The reality is its about getting your canditate elected. In the South constituency FG selected a very capable canditate in Mullins a former CEO of Board Gais. FF choose a former TV presenter the public choose Cynthia. In MNW FG choose McHigh the last time she got elected and now Carberry.

Any party cannot decimate it ranks of TD's ministers or Senators causing by elections and thereafter General Elections.

Name recognisition seems important to the public. The end justifies the means.

Ya capability is a lot of it. We all learned.on the job some time. I have more of an issue with McHugh and not attending Agri Committee meetings, however if she was not interested in the area it was crazy putting her on the committee. Having said that you should knuckle down and learn the processes

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You could say the same about Sean Kelly, Jimmy Deenihan, Alan Dillon, John O'Mahony, Jack Lynch.

I dont remember people making a big song and dance about it then, so dont see any reason Nina Carberry should come in for criticism over it.

Would be interesting to see if a female candidate with this background did come in for criticism on this basis, when male candidates hadnt faced same.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eudaimonia

What a shallow assessment of how someone who has succeeded in another field cannot bring a wide variety of alternative skills to politics. If anything it’s the lifelong shills we need to avoid voting for - manipulative and slippery.

I imagine she will bring a lot of people with her from her jockey days and if nothing else she seems to be a good people person to get out the vote above 73,000. It has nothing to do with recognisability more to do with hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The death rites have been written for the Labour Party for a long time but what this Election shows is that they are still very relevant and have shown green shoots of recovery and given the Sinn Fein bubble burst , Labour's recovery is likely to continue.

The thing is with Andrews and Doherty not yet at quota, they could also swallow some of the transfers that Cuffe and O'Riordain are hoping for

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

no doubt, Wallace and Daly will make their way back in into cozy chairs again. What a joke..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Agreed, however Sean Kelly doesn't belong on that list of names

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Really?

I'd see him as a politician who has worked incredibly hard over the past 15 years, with a strong and positive track record, and would be more than happy to see him get in.

Daly is in real trouble - unless she gets massive numbers from Smith, she'll really struggle with O'Riordain and Cuffe probably tranferring well between them if one goes out - and Lynn Boylan also hoping to get votes from the likes of Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are disregarding what happens when Cuffe or O'Riordan are eliminated. Which ever happens first will see the other get a substantial tranche.Lynn Boylan still needs votes and Andrews and Doherty are gobbling small chunks as well. I do not think Daly can get above Niall Boylan and I do not think Daly will transfer strongly to him.

Lynn will gobble votes if she is to stay ahead and get elected. She will need significant transfers. Cuffe and O'Riordan have a solid block of 60k+votes. That is going to get one of them elected IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would N Boylan get a lot of transfers from Aontú?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Both would be primarily the "angry at everything" voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

None of them have anything approaching real power but at least Niall Boylan won't be a silent suit like Carberry or Walsh

The commission has all the decision making power and it's not elected by the people

If Niall Boylan fails to make it , I hope Clare Daly does , she's not a status quo rubber stamper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Totally agree. Such a soft interview. It had such a "oh you're one of us so glad the outsiders aren't doing well" vibe off it. I also hate the 'we worked so hard' comments, as if them working hard does sometime for me as a voter. It's his interview process, it's only temporary, and he's doing it for himself!

Oh ffs, another soft interview right now as I write on Claire Byrne going on about how he was shouted at on the campaign trail. Really hope he doesn't get the transfers.

Post edited by AllForIt on

Why did Labour turn in to what they are today(Rhetorical). I remember back in my early voting days always voting for Pat Rabitte, a decent honest party.

A real shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

These guys repeatedly voted against doing anything against migration and voted in support of Putin who is deliberately pouring oil into migration issues

There’s “sticking to elites” and then there being a patsy for criminals and harming the interests of Irish population

Well AoR is just a stereotypical anti-phobia I'm so right-on type, because he things taking that stance is what will get him elected. Like he's not even genuine, he's like a product made by Apple that will sell.

Going back to Claire Byrne radio show on now, the final results aren't in yet but they're talking about the abuse candidates experience when campaigning. This is totally inappropriate, they can talk about that any time. Just more soft interviewing by RTE.

They are very slow in getting the transfers done - c'mon, c'mon Dublin, and especially Midlands North West - you're only transferring a few thousand from round 3…… need to see how things are flowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

The extreme irony of people gushing about likes of “far left” Daly and Wallace “sticking it to elites” while being literally nothing more than a pawn for a far right dictator in power for 25 years who besides being one of richest people in world himself runs a criminal oligarchic dystopia

Please stop, I can’t stop laughing 😆

Aine Lawlor is the only one in that org capable of asking any difficult questions. A few other show ponies, and then you have Claire Byrne…….

Virgin are just as bad when you have "journalists" of a calibre of Gavan "Re-tweet" Reilly and the other one who has forgotten her Waterford accent and speaks in some kind of weird D4 mish mash accent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

are the counts likely to finish up today or will it run till tomorrow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, they got 13 done in dublin yesterday, with (i think) seven more candidates to eliminate. i suspect they're hoping to get it done by tonight. other constituencies are slower - MNW are on count 4 i think with 19 candidates yet to eliminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Each further count after 2 gets slower due to the physical number of ballots growing.

Count 2 in South will be exceptionally slow due to the over-quota distribution

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Quite often, the smallest party in a colaition gets punished for the actions of the whole government. The attempted introduction of water charges (amongst other things) ended up being Labours fault in the eyes of the public.

Advertisement