Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of SF?

Options
  • 10-06-2024 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭

Lets scroll back a bit.

SF had a bad local 2019

SF surged out of nowhere 2020 GE

SF maintain the GE vote 2020-4

SF start declining in 2024.

SF have a disastrous local and EU election 2024

I had my doubts about SF. I have to fork out for Private health insurance. I fear that if they get in, I will have to pay higher taxes but still have no access to the health system. I resent 100k ukarnians getting free medical cards with absolourely no means test. Years on they still have them.

Im not a huge fan of the social agenda of all the mainstream parties but not my main priority.

However, I wanted to see SF in the mix. Do people really want this government back? By voting for independents, people are ensuring that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

3,2,1……….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭pureza

Sinn Féin aren't declining,they've as many activists and members today as last week

They've issues to iron out to get going again but if anyone thinks they are down and out,you'd be very wrong

Politics 101,I mean look at FF,pretty much doubling their support since 2011 and being one of them then akin to being economically satanic

Sinn Féin activists and reps sleepwalked their way through these locals and the EU election

They won't make that mistake at the GE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭DubCount

The decline of SF is overstated. In a general election with maybe 15% extra turnout, I reckon they will do much better.

That said, there is now competition for the "I want something different, as anything is better than this" vote. More independents, more hard right, and the likes of Aontu and other smaller parties eating some of that SF lunch.

If SF make progress from here, they will need to be more definite on policy, and more realistic about what is and is not actually possible. Houses in Dublin for 300k would be wonderful, but who pays for this. "Change" will not be enough - it needs to be change to something believable and definitive, not just following what they think is popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Running multiple candidates in lots of different areas certainly seems to have backfired particularly in Dublin, long running candidates have completely lost their seats some coming near the bottom of the list with even their transfers barely benefiting their fellow running mates.

plus side more councillors elected than 2019, negative no total wipeout of the competition its hard to judge if not winning hundreds of seats is a bad thing but a less than 50% voter turnout and in areas that Sinn Fein would have been counting on voters having significant lower than expected turnout it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The party is on 12%? It's a cluster fxxx

The party needs a serious rethink.

Last year we were talking about the first female Taoiseach Mary Lou.

Now it's looking like the return of the current shower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sinn Fein have tried to ride two stools policywise and have ended up falling between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I wouldn't say it's disastrous but more disappointing.

I think their voting base will be more motivated to vote in a General Election.

They'll almost certainly be the biggest party after next election.

It'll come down to if FF will go into coalition with them or not, which is impossible to say right now.

I think in general SF lack strong leadership and strong communication.

Some of their communications are crackpot like €300,000 houses. It's like what a 12 year old would say.

Also they ran too few candidates in last election and too many in this.

This shows they don't have proper data analysts advising them.

Personally I see no competence or talent or intelligence in the entirety of SF and would vote for the status quo or the SDs or Labour before them.

If I had the choice between Pascal Donaghue or Pearse Doherty handling the country's finances, I'd go for Pascal every time.

I admire PBP and other lefties but wouldn't vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

They need to sit down, discuss what kind of party they want to be and what policies they want to champion and commit to doing that. They need to give up on the notion of being all things to all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100%.

It's a better functioning democracy if there's healthy opposition.

I think they should bring in consultants and have a simple, clear message before next election.

I've a feeling Simon Harris will give FG a boost in next election. He's a much better politician than Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,305 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Backing the government in the recent referendums and then when the electorate spoke loudly to reject them both, Mary Lou said if they got in they could run it again, absolute political suicide move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

They do seem a bit lost when it comes to policies. She comes across as a bit of a bully. I wonder (and it's complete speculation no evidence to back it up) is she a bit of a dictator within her own party. I could picture her at a party meeting just yelling at them all and the rest of them sitting there with their heads down waiting for her to just shut up instead of getting ideas and policies from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

All I ever hear SF saying is free this, free that, welfare increases, social housing, medical cards for every tom dick and harry, etc with no policy how to pay for it. We all know its taxes that pay for all this which means the middle class feckers getting up every day and putting in a days shift at work (or night shift) who will pay for this, and get nothing as they earn 'too much'. While the scrotes sit back, relax in their LA or HAP houses, and collect their dole.

The past 9 months, they are focused more on Palestine that the problems in Ireland. (And I have sympathy for innocent people in gaza).

SF are giving the cead míle fáilte to every illegal migrant posing as IPA's and AS.

But its no wonder people are sick of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭jj880

Sinn Féin have turned into globalist open border peddlers. Did many predict 4 years ago? I definitely didnt.

There was a meeting in Donegal a few months back with 1000+ people at it. The basis of it was what Pearse was gona do as Min For Finance next year. Doubt that will be happening now. Theyve been riding the donkey too close to the tail with a lot of their policies since their success at the last GE.

They definitely screwed up. Any tool could tell taking In 100k refugees from Ukraine would stir a hornets nest.

The referendums? FFS

Will re Run??

They have a short time to turn this around.

The Government usually does better over a summer - no Dail. Then a give away budget in Oct?

But what exactly is going on in the minds of the electorate is hard to know.

Locals have a Lower turnout traditionally.

The Government also supported the referendums.

The Government also basically opened the gates to mass immigrantion.

But I think the wind is now behind FG/FF

And it's getting late...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are trying to spin it.

Heard one or their guys (Matt Carty I think) earlier say they have actually increased their seat count.

Turd polishing of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Think this sums up MLMD over the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

They could have zero MEPs. All candidates in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is it in a nutshell they tried to play it cute, such as the in the constitutional referendums hoping to get some "less traditional" SF vote so they could be large enough to form a government.

But Ivan Yates was brave enough to say the other reason it SF lost votes to the anti-immigrant movement. A lot of those would have been their traditional voter "working class" base.

Edit - in fairness I remember some posters on boards called that the anti-immigrant vote could mean trouble for SF. That was ages ago.

Thinking about it myself.

I am not sure SF knows what it stands for anymore to be honest. And Simon Harris has played a blinder. Such as Ireland to recognise Palestine (probably impressing a lot of Republican types with that move) but also removed immigrants tents etc. Harris out "Sinn Feined" Sinn Fein. Where do they go after that. It was like a rug pulled from under SF.

It will be interesting to see what policy SF comes up with. The statements from SF seem to be we need "clearer policies".

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bombing in the Euro elections also as already said.

Could we see an early general election called?

I read somewhere they didnt even show up to the count centre in Mary Lou's constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The path to power in Ireland necessitates winning over the middle classes. Sinn Fein, with its history, that was always going to be challenging so it aimed to out progressive the rest in order to do so.

The migration came along and spoiled it all…

In doing so, SF then alienated it's core vote that it though it would stick with it. It turns out that right wing minority parties can provide sufficient nationalist flag waving to turn the heads of the old core vote.

Hard to see where they pivot to. If they go left wing ethno nationalist then that's never going to win over the middle class. Maybe they decide to cut the old core adrift fully and become one of the ten a penny left wing parties indistinguishable from labour, soc dems et al.

What's certain though is that Harris will not give them the time to regroup. It's an October election imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The problem for SF is, currently there are not enough left wing votes in Ireland to elect a left-only government.

So they moved to the centre and became undistingusable from them in many ways. Immigration was the main example of this.

Their working-class base then abandoned them en mass.

So what do they do now?

No idea, but one they need to do. Learn some humility and be more human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭rock22

@Bobtheman quote "They definitely screwed up. Any tool could tell taking In 100k refugees from Ukraine would stir a hornets nest.

The referendums? FFS

Will re Run??

The Government also supported the referendums.

The Government also basically opened the gates to mass immigrantion.

But I think the wind is now behind FG/FF "

As you say yourself, it was the government who took in 100K refugees and the government who worded the referendum. Yet you say the wind is behind FF/FG and SF are taking the blame. If you are right then the electorate need to understand who the government is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

SF aren’t winning over middle class Ireland any time soon. Not in the next 9 months anyway. Rightly or wrongly they’re seen as a party of the welfared. Freebies to the sorts of people who have little intention of getting out of the welfare system. All this paid for by taxes collected from those at work, the middle classes for a large part. I haven’t heard them say anything different. In addition, they see multinationals and their tax windfalls as a party pot which can be dug into to keep the fun going for the welfare staters. I’d say corporation tax would rise on their watch. The downside of that is those companies pivot to more favourable tax jurisdictions. That can happen very quickly and suddenly the party pot is looking a good deal emptier. We’re not favtastic at fostering indigenous industries and a lot of middle class workers are employed by multinationals. You wouldn’t expect turners to vote for Christmas so why expect these workers to vote for a party clearly intent on harming their jobs.

Until recently SF were a much smaller party. It’s a great position to be in as you can trot out any old policies and get media coverage. Nobody cares really though as you’ll at best, be a junior partner in a coalition without access to the important stuff like financial management. Unluckily fur SF they made it into the big time after the last GE. They were seen as a B potential, maybe inevitable, senior party of government and with that came increased media attention and public scrutiny of policies and the party as a whole v they hadn’t the talent and groundwork put in to measure up. Now they’re in trouble.

It's certainly confusing but when SF supported the government on the referendums and immigration its hard to distinguish them

We all know public services in Ireland need investment and reform. All parties want to invest. I'm not sure about reform

We all know that legal costs and medical costs are too high in Ireland. You won't get any reform from FF or FG here

Personally I want to see SF in power but in a 50 /50 coalition with either FF or FG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's paywalled, but if you have access, this is a interesting read.

he essentially posits that while styling itself as left wing, sinn fein was also a draw for the ethnonationalist types who would have formed right wing parties elsewhere, but that mechanism has evaporated.

Full article:

https://archive.is/M8NAt

Final paragraph:

So don’t be fooled by the success of the existing political establishment, impressive though it is. The ground is rough – Ireland has to get through a terrain made jagged by the mismatch between the expansion of the population and the sclerosis of the State. It is going to be a bumpy ride and from here on in all the shocks will be felt.

O'Toole doesn't seem to think Sinn Féin are in as bad shape as the local elections would indicate.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,485 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In a nut shell that is SFs problem, they try to be all things to all people, and the general Joe soap voter out there sees thought that bs.

They claim to be left wing and are see as the "freebie" party. Their vocal supporters at ground level on socials are, more often than not, long term scratchers who have benefited greatly from current social welfare already, and are seen as wanting more.

At the same time SFs economic development plan is predicted on Irish unification, and the dogs in the street know the economic drain which would result from that. There would be years if not decades of pump priming the north to get it to an even keel with the south, and there's no way the economy could grow sustainably when the resources are used that way.

So with this unification they are pandering to the nationalist base, which is fine, but which also contains a significant amount of ultra nationalist / far right element which is "Ireland for the Irish" and very Eurosceptic. SF cant been seen to be Eurosceptic down south or they would be destroyed, while up north they are much more vocally Eurosceptic.

So they try to be both left and right, to be for and against Europe, and to have policies which are paper thin and baseless.

All of this just moves them firmly to the centre, where they just become indistinguishable from the rest of the mainstream center noise.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

SF believe too much in brand SF and that this will magic them seats. That no-one will ask them and their candidates hard questions.

As regards the recent election result, the biggest factor was nailed by the lad who shouted 'Brits Out, Everyone Else In'.

Not giving a fig how immigration affects your core vote was never going to end well.

Post edited by Furze99 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Good for you, you do realise than very few to none of FF or FG supporters want anything to do with SF

The only people who want a coalition with SF are SF supporters, no other party in Ireland at the moment want anything to do with them. Also it is worth noting no other party wants to do much with them in the North.

Maybe the problem is with SF and not every other party on this island?

Advertisement