Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

Not a great day here in Dublin, quite cold cycling in this morning, and it's currently a miserable 13 degrees. Forecast for the week is quite depressing as well, so while I know we're still barely two weeks into Summer 2024, it would be nice to get a couple of good weeks of 20 degrees plus temperatures. We're easily pleased in this country, one or two weeks of hot weather, and the entire country loses the run of itself, so we're not really asking for much 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

The majority of people equate warmer temperatures to getting a better tan/burned.

It's uneducated nonsense. I can remember getting my face burned being out all day in a January while it was about 5 degrees.

I don;t even bother explaining Sun strength and proximity to the Equator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

I think all that poster is trying to say is that while the stats certified a warm May it didn't actually feel all that summery. Some here are very logical science people, others are more about how the whole thing feels. I think we got the best of it down south and south west, but only a handful of days felt summery. It was more of a nice late spring feel.

Nice here now in Alicante. Low to mid 20s, so gentle heat, perfect to get me acclimatised to summer temps and hopefully I won't freeze when I go home at the end of the month. Sounds disappointing there so am happy to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

Exactly. If someone asks "What's the weather like?", and the answer is "It's quite dull and overcast, a few bright spells but nothing to get excited about." You would be quiet disappointed. Your disappointment isn't going to change if the follow up is, "Do you know statistically it was the warmest May on record."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hints in the models that things may begin to warm up from June 24th, until then temperatures look broadly below average so unless we get a week long record breaking heatwave final week of the month, this month is likely to finish up below average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

https://news.sky.com/story/why-is-june-so-cold-and-when-will-it-warm-up-13150677

I think these few paragraphs sum things up perfectly and should be borne in mind when we complain about 'bad' spring and summer weather.

Meteorologists are not surprised by the wet and blustery June.

"This is not that unusual," said Sky News meteorologist Christopher England.

"Temperatures haven't been that much below average, but frequent stiff winds have made it feel colder," he said.

"People always seem to think summer should be warmer than it actually is."

Prof Schultz added because climate change has pushed up average temperatures, we notice more when our weather gets colder.

"We might be complaining about a few degrees cooler than normal but historically, this spell might actually be closer to normal," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know it may be cooler than average recently and its gonna stay for at least another 10 days but the sun popped out earlier with little wind and wow its almost at its strongest, like you can still get burnt on a cloudy day , my auntie told me a few years ago when she was 18 she went to Greece or along that neck of the woods and on a certain day it was cloudy , decided not to wear any sun cream and she paid the price for it , unfair I don't tan as much as I used to but I'd still lash on the sun cream , my brother only has to look at the sun and wear factor 7 or 10 and he goes black ⚫️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Total Bull$hit. There was near frost on my windows this morning. If some gadge wants to try convince me there was frost on my windows in the June of 1995 they'd have better luck convincing me that tomorrow is Halloween

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today was supposed to be the 'nice' day of the week and Jaysus it was freezing in that wind.

Can't wait for the rest of the week!

Where is the Leaving Cert heatwave?

Ah in fairness glad for them that it's not nice, no excuse not to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

was a nice evening when sun came out

we were out in the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

What does near frost look and feel like on a window? The description sounds like dew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Just had the heat on for an hour for the first time in a fortnight. Couldn't stand the chill any longer. I'm happy enough with the current cool temperatures when I'm out and about, but I need some warmth to relax in the evening. The breeze is the main issue for me at the moment, though overall today was ok. But if the alternative is just warm rain, then I'd rather keep what we have! Dreading what's forecast from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was sunny enough in Sligo today and 14c. Early June is usually 14c to 17c so not that cold. Just that last year and some recent June's have had 20 by day and 13 by night.

Mt Chillin is 4c currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

5c currently in carrick it's very chilly , gonna stick on my electric blanket in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another autumnal morning in N Kildare

Basically this. Up at 5.30 this morning and wasn't chilly, it was cold. Currently 8c, feels a lot cooler than that. N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

Bright start in the midlands but the breeze would cut you, it's so cold. Can't remember the last time I wore 3 layers in June. It feels more like a decent early spring day than summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I thought yesterday was a lovely day in Galway and I was overheating at times but I was out and about all day doing manual work. I also did a 10k run which will keep you toasty in any weather. More of this dry weather please, getting so much done.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Ye, sure a 10k run would overheat a Kenyan, probably slightly run it quicker than you with respect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

Depends on your version of a 'lovely day', if it was Spring or Autumn, I'd probably agree with you, but on the basis that it's the middle of June, it's very hard to believe that it's Summer time. I even pulled out the Winter coat again for my cycle in this morning, and I can safely say that has never come out before during the Summer months. It's depressing stuff temperature wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Morning run Dublin 2. Only ideal conditions for running 11° and dull. I'm going with 'at least its dry' considering the forecast from Wednesday evening. Most people wearing jackets and layers for keeping warm. Shame. Usually the state examinations would be miserable if stuck inside in warm conditions in June. Will it warm up before the month is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My state examinations coincided with some of the worst June periods in recent memory - June 2016 after the warm spell had ended and June 2019 when we had at least 3 days under 12 degrees here in Dublin. I was blessed. Meanwhile my friend had his during 2018 😙 had finished summer exams just in time in late May 2018 to go enjoy the sunshine with back garden pool having the most uses ever. Oh I would do anything for that summer after all this trash of a period since last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭yagan

I'll take bright and fresh any day over dull and humid.

A bit of garden work in the sun and I'm sweating. South coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hoodies weather

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Models continue to extend out the colder than average temperatures all the way to June 24th. The final 10 days of June are also trending very unsettled with perhaps another deluge pattern setting up. It's entirely possible that we could end up with 2 summer stinkers in a row. However I'm remaining hopeful that both July and August will see an improvement over this month, but as of now there is absolutely no sign of anything warm and settled even into the far depths of FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

12.5 degrees in the north east but with that biting wind feels more like 7 or 8

It’s actually a bad day for January never mind June 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭appledrop

Kids sports day and they are all dressed as if its autumn/winter!

At least it's earlier on in week as it looks horrible from Thur-Sun.

I have two light summercoats/ rainjackets in press for the kids that would usually be out at this time of year but still have labels on them because it's too cold to wear them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh I am many years beyond my peak running days. It's a real slog now to be honest. But I managed 35,000 steps yesterday overall which left me exhausted.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement