Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jesus, Mawdsley is just the anchor queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

F me. That women's 4x4. And the OG, Phil Healy. What a time to rediscover her form. Of all that she's been through. Absolutely deserves the high to deliver an Irish 4x4 to a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Mawdsley incredible in the relays again. Made up a huge amount of ground on the Belgian there and won pulling up in the end. Absolutely needed her in there though, it was competitive and if they had rested both Adeleke and Mawdsley as was I think the original plan, they'd have been out. Another huge medal chance tomorrow now if Adeleke comes back in.

Unreal. Herself and Chris O'Donnell are close. I'd say once one of them was going to come back out, the other was likely to join in.

Pity Barr couldn't have come out for Doggett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

Im just a bit in love with this athletics team, so great to have something to cheer on in shorter distances.

Although 400m has to be near on one of the hardest races there is

• Advertisement

The Dutch very lucky to sneak through there. Just squeezed in ahead of the Norwegians and they wouldn't have got a fastest loser place. Czechs dropped the baton in their heat as well, the Dutch might have been gone but for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Just caught the women's 4 x 4. Mawdsley is a freak of a runner….strangely, she always seems to run much better in the relay format than individually.

Be hard to judge if that's true or not. She's incredibly strong from a 4 Hurdles background so doesn't tend to blow up in the 4x4. But she's remarkably consistent in the 400 individual. You could definitely call this her breakout season. Becker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd be a bit concerned about the effort put in by Mawdsley there, it will be her fifth race in 7 days - is Adeleke in the final?

It's an incredibly strong team. To have someone of the of the quality of Phil Healy be only your fourth ranked team member is really something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I get the impression she really enjoys the tactics of running a final relay leg - it's something that suits her and something she is very good at.

She certainly has the patience and temperament for it. Incredibly strong.

Phil is on her way back from a bad luck injury series. It's remarkable that she's there really.

I'd even go further and say that the reason we have such a current womens 400m pedigree is down to Phil Healy.

Adeleke confirmed as back in for tomorrow night. Ireland v Netherlands round 2 coming up then…though the Dutch did finish third in the two horse race last time. And Bol still has to run the 400m hurdles final tonight, while our team can rest up now.

Bol certainly has experience of coming through from a mixed zone post win and then running a blinder the next day.

It's exciting stuff for tomorrow. Klaver getting an absolute rest before it.

Becker, Adeleke, Healy, Mawdsley.

Goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just turned it on in time for the end of coverage 🙄

Did I hear correctly that the 4x400 girls were the fastest qualifiers? Bloody hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah 5 qualified from the race, even 5th placed time would have won the other semi final. Almost all will be upgrading teams for the final though.

Yes, fastest even without Adeleke, though only fair to point out that others were rested also and the Dutch rested two (and almost didn't qualify as a result).

Biggest issue tomorrow might be Mawdsley's legs, five 400s in six days is a lot to ask of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dutch still favourites as Bol is unlikely to be tested tonight and they’re bringing in Klaver too. Blessed to qualify but can make 3 strong changes.

The Polish will bring in Kaczmarek too.

However if we get things right, we will win a medal and if we get a bit of luck, we can get gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

On the men's 4x400, that was a solid enough performance. Jack Raftery was disappointing on the opening leg. 46.6x just doesn't cut it at this level. He seems to have stagnated since 2022. Chris O'Donnell ran a great second leg to bring us back into a Q spot. It really wasn't fair to drop Sean Doggett into that cauldron. He's only 17/18 and clearly not ready for that level just yet. The big positive was 21-year old Callum Baird on the anchor leg. He's lowered his individual PB to 46.19 this season and just dropped a 45.14 anchor leg. That's a great time; he looks ready for mixed relay pool in Paris, possibly ahead of Raftery or Greene.

Good performance from the women's team, just 0.5 seconds outside the NR without Adeleke. Sophie Becker ran a decent 51.6 opener. Phil Healy consolidated with a 51.3 second leg. Lauren Cadden did well to run a 52.1 third leg. Her recently set PB is 52.87. That's as much as she can deliver right now. She's still pretty young and this is her first season running 400s. I think she'll really start asserting herself next season. Mawdsley was a revelation yet again on the anchor leg. Another 49.7 leg is incredible. As others have said though, I'm really concerned about her workload. She's a warrior, but they are expecting too much from her. You can see in her face that she's tired and it clearly was to the detriment of her individual performance in the final. She may have to be selfish when Paris rolls around and say "no" to some relay legs if she is to have an outside shot at the Olympic final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Do they give medals to the athletes who ran in the heats but don't run in the final?

Give me five minutes and I'll change my mind again but I think the races are only benefiting her. It's been mentioned that she's with the Dutch a lot in Pappendal (semi-related reasons for being there). And Bol absolutely races a lot.

Without a doubt, there's going to be scheduling conflicts in Paris but another 400m at this stage will be a very good training run.

And Dogget is there on merit. Check the ranking.

Cillin Greene is minding himself which is a worry. Hopefully he's OK.

As for Jack. I'll have to take a look at the outgoing runner to see Jack's split and its relevance. Mid 46 for an opening leg is good. Chris O'Donnell ran 46 low for his leg in the final soni wouldn't crucify anyone for mid 46

I know why she trains a lot in Pappendal. It’s clearly great for her, but we desperately need her at her best. Paris is where it counts. I just hope she isn’t being over-extended.

I have checked the rankings. It’s clearly great experience for him that he’ll take a lot from it going forward. He was a boy amongst men out there.

I respectfully disagree that a 46.6x opener is a good opening leg in a continental level championship, particularly from a relatively experienced athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sorry man. Had to come back to this. Jack's pb is from 2023, so a stagnation since 2022 doesn't really make any sense. Can you explain that please?

Fair play for reading it, I thought it was a self indulgent ramble

No worries. He’s obviously a great athlete and achieved far more already than I ever did!

Remember the mixed relay in Oregon and those great third legs he ran? I thought he’d be getting down to the mid-45s by now. I know progression isn’t linear and it’s still early season, so let’s see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭obi604

It literally is a boy amongst men, Sean Doggett is only 17, he wont be 18 for another 6 months!!

Advertisement