Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local/ EU elections who will you Vote for

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

Its who those TDs are that matters; not how many there are. If that were not the case, there would be no point having an election.

Obviously, it matters who our TDs are, but it's not the whole story. If a government TD lobbies for a new road or school, then all residents benefit from that, not just those who voted for the TD. It stands to reason that the more TDs an area has, the more clout it has in the Dail.

You could well have a situation in the future where a significant number of tax payers, if not the majority of tax payers in certain wards, are not actually eligible to vote. Even though its their money that keeps the show on the road.

Though all residents of a ward are entitled to vote in local elections. I can't imagine any Dail constituencies ever having a significant percentage of tax payers not allowed to vote. In any case, foreign born, legal residents can apply for citizenship which comes with the right to vote. I work with a few people who have gone through that. Though frankly, I don't think voting in general elections was the number one reason for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Whether its a new road, new cycle lane, new parking charges etc, it is all only an initiative.

There is barely a single initiative that everyone agrees with, so it isnt true to say all local decisions made by the few are for the betterment of the many.

If that were the case, perhaps we should reverse the voting power so that only non-citizens can vote. Sure, what difference would it make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They've also been colonial power and/or at constant war etc. Ireland is a huge outlier in a lot of ways to the rest of the continent.

Not least in our national demographics. Which are currently undergoing a relatively quick change. We will lean more right with time.

If you think our innate humanity differs to our continental counterparts you're in for a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I'm unsure how anyone can look at the UK/Continent and say 'oh Ireland would be better if we were like them'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

With SF being essentially wiped out in the LE can we now expect record amounts of planning for new house builds to go through without SF councillors scuppering house building plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SF have gained a small number of councillors. Its just a fraction of what they expected to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

the last big project was blocked by Mary lou, so they will continue to block every house/apartment in Ireland going forward

I didn't say that all local decisions made by the few are for the betterment of the many. I said some are. Public representatives are not delegates sent to a conference to vote a particular way. They represent us across a range of issues, not all of which are predictable before being elected.

The number of TDs is determined in the constitution with reference to the population of a constituency, not the number of taxpayers. So, that's not going to change. If your point is that Dáil franchise should be widened to include taxpaying non citizens, then you can advocate for that, but I don't see any appetite for it, or chance it will happen.

• Advertisement

I agree that there is no appetite for change. But I think that stance will appear more and more outdated in the future, as the migrant population increases and the percentage of adults eligible to vote continues to reduce.

The phenomena we see in parts of Dublin, where a small number of voters are able to elect a disproportiate number of TDs will continue to spread and become further distorted.

A ward in 2024 with 10k population may have 8k eligible voters. The same ward 10 years later has a population of 12k, with only 7k eligible voters.

At some point, there will have to be a rethink (perhaps the tipping point will be when greater than 50% of adults in a ward are not eligble to vote), but we haven't reached that point yet; though we are on the pathway toward it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Most people don’t have any issue with legal migration or legal migrants, people have issues with people playing the asylum system at the taxpayers expense. There is a big difference between the two. Most voters don’t want either an extreme left (PBP) or the extreme right (NP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Firstly, I'd hardly call the US "the greatest democratic system on Earth" - not even close and the supreme court judges are appointed by a president, not be elected governments. Trump stacking the court in his favour with partisan politics dismisses this point on the spot.

Beyond that you didn't answer my question: HOW does it "usurp national politics and parochialism"? Sounds like you want to go all the way back to tribalism.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

We're off topic on this, so I'll just add one more comment. Personally, I would be against that. Voting for the national parliament is a privilege of citizenship imo. But, I'd be open to making it easier to gain citizenship by naturalisation - not so much the rules or requirements, but in terms of the administrative obstacles and the costs. We've come a long way since you had to stand up in the district court, between the drink drivers and the shoplifters, but I'm sure we could do better. I was surprised to see a UK poster who's living here decades, was put off primarily by the cost. Though he can vote in a GE but not in the Euros. The experience of my work colleague was that it was a real slog over a period of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Once the new housing bill gets forced through the LC's will have little say on planning/development anymore. It will be controlled by central government…. another disaster waiting to happen.

Our biggest issue in housing for years now is politicans blocking housing/apartments and not letting the process happen, no project will get approved if a TD and especially a high level TD like Mary Lou sticks an objection in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I agree but now we will have the other extreme. A housing bill essentially created by property developers resulting in Government approval with no oversight and little consideration for environmental impact etc. No more LC objections and lot more time in the courts.

I haven't read in detail but the plan is to stop projects been stuck in courts for years with randomers rejected

The project above was rejected by Mary Lou and someone living in Foxrock, nowhere near the actual location of the apartments/housing.
    Mary lou just rejected because SF reject everything to making housing crisis worse. Nobody knows why someone who lives in Foxrock and has no attachment to the project decided to reject, but similar has happened on lots of projects

Yep, I think it needs to be made easier for long term residents to vote, if elections are to truly reflect the (ever changing) population of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭BQQ

Just call FG’s Marion Agrios

I’ve heard she can make those objections go away (for a small fee of course)

And rightly taken out of system

How many in Sinn Fein are blocking properties because of their party tactics to make the housing crisis worse? is that any better or worse?

Both are been done for financial gain, one in terms of an individual and the other for a parties financial gain as they hope to get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Foxrock f*ckhead feared that the shed they're renting out would have more competition.

Why did Mary Lou block it? nurses and doctors and students and workers crying out in that area

What would you call Mary Lou?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Damien360

Regardless of who blocked what, there are a huge amount of developments without any local infrastructure or schools planned along with them. That is what people object to.

In the area I know best of Kildare, Naas and Newbridge, each of those towns are creaking at the seams with traffic, lack of schools and no extra doctors. Absolutely no plans are in place to deal with this and an Bord pleanala overruled objections and pushed ahead on the basis of need.

Already these new residents are moaning of lack of school places and doctors. Lots of reports of people travelling back to thier original places to get a doctor. Kildare town is getting a new school but it's an amalgamation of existing schools so not new places. Newbridge is building up a story on the existing schools to expand capacity on a road infrastructure that currently doesn't work. Naas got one new school. Each town is expanding faster than the infrastructure.

Foxrock residents clearly have the cash and means to object to the same lack of development that has been foisted on other areas. Nobody of sound mind will complain if the infrastructure is developed at the same time as the new developments. Devalue of your home due to extra homes nearby is something that the very wealthy complain about. It's not a usual complaint, nor a valid one.

The area had every connection for transport, (trains, buses, luas,etc), it also had schools and colleges.

Even putting thousands into the area they wouldn't need cars

Mary Lou and SF like every development block them because making the housing crisis worse is better for them

You can't get doctors etc unless you have houses to put them into, when you have a location beside a number of major hospitals that should be a priority so nurses/doctors can work in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Packrat

Apart from wanting to make the housing crisis worse so that they (when/if in gov) can solve it, why are SF objecting to every housing project?

I'm aware that I'm asking the wrong person, but you seem to have an understanding of it- like, - what would they say themselves as their reason?

Genuine question I've wondered over.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

what other reason do they have?

If the government fixes the housing crisis they will get voted in for another term, any of the other issues they can just point to housing, say we fixed that and now we need to fix health etc

Fix housing and the immigration also dies down

it will be a disaster for SF if that happens, so strategic blocking of developments might not stop them but certainly ends up with developers for years in court trying to get permission, which in turn drives the cost per unit up

The reasons for blocking the developments normally boils down to “they won’t suit the area” which is a favourite pulled out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What did people vote for?

Housing? Health? Crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you're talking about local elections, two out of three of those topics have nothing to do with local authorities.

• Advertisement

Wallace and Daly out. Losses for the GP. Gains for the independents. I think the electorate have shown they've had enough of certain chancers.

If Immigration continues unabated then we'll see a proper hard right leaning party inside 2 GE cycles imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭deezell

Delighted to see the end of the I4C, Independents for Communism. They can now stand in the general election as the P4P, Puppets for Putin, I'm sure his anonymous social media interference machine is already cranking up, though they must be stretched with the UK and French elections looming. Wallis and Grommet might even try the byelections, which look like a runner to me. There's no way the government want to put the electorate through a marathon before Christmas, but a few tasty local sprints will provide some entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Aontu didn't do too badly and they're the only right leaning Party that would have any credibility.

A lot of independents are hard on immigration.

Personal opinion, wider picture, context etc. all makes me see a shift that I believe will get shiftier if immigration isn't tackled properly by our established parties.

They've nothing to gain having an early election, unless they target early September, but the TDs won't want that. A post budget perhaps, but better to wait till Spring. Consequently, they should get the by-elections done with, not make them a post budget issue. They've nothing to lose, and perhaps 3 seats to gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Consequently, they should get the by-elections done with, not make them a post budget issue.

They have 6 months to call the by-election which is January 16th. There won't be any, it'll just be a general election.

The retirement of the Green leaders changes everything. When they elect new leader and deputy, will there be a change of ministers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Youd imagine there will be a cabinet reshuffle. However, those stepping down as ministers will still be TDs and it won't require a by-election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement