Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low turnout at polling stations.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, a 'none of the above' should be a valid option on a ballot. Because people who spoil deliberately and people who do so accidentally are not distinguished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The turnout no's in Australia are misleading. Voting is compulsory but a lot of people spoil the vote on purpose just to avoid the fine. What they do I think that's better is the voting is on a Saturday. They have a BBQ and cakes donated and sell them for a few bucks with the proceeds going to the the school where the vote is held. People hang around have a sausage roll and a chat no rushing from work. I never understood this midweek voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a theory - and I'm simply reporting it, not expressing any opinion on its validity - that midweek voting tends to favour the status quo as younger people - students, Mon-Fri renters, the "home to mammy with the laundry brigade", etc. (i.e. the cohort who are less likely to vote along lifelong party lines) aren't at their home place, where they're likely still registered to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not much coverage of the EU on Irish news. Only British and American politics, Hardly ever anything about the EU or EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think people who are well capable of voting and do not even bother are a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves. People died so we could have the freedom to vote and there is millions possibly even billions of people in the World who would love to be able to vote or can like in Russia but know its fixed and very little they can do about it.

So yes I think it's very important that we vote. I think it should be Compulsory. Both my brothers and both my sisters did not and I was very annoyed with them over that. One runs a business but he is the most arrogant, ignorant person and I do not see that business lasting 10 years.

Both my parents voted as they know the importance of voting.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

People not voting because they couldn't be arsed is grand but they can't then turn around complaining about local issues not been sorted or complain if a councillor will do nothing for them if they don't vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

How exactly is it rigged? While we have two parties that are the largest, we also tend to be more likely to have coalition government so smaller parties can end up incredibly influential. The existing parties in many respects have attitudes that have changed as public opinion has shifted, socially in particular. The public choose to reelect them but that's entirely as a result of the way people have chosen to vote. On top of that we're one of the few countries that ever get the opportunity to directly vote on constitutional changes. So yep, we're a democracy and it's an insult to those who live under authoritarian regimes when you start claiming that our political system isn't that different to North Korea's…

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

Actually, the only duties placed upon citizens by the constitution - which was democratically approved by the electorate - is that of a duty to provide for their children and a requirement of "Fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State".

To my mind, anyone who fails any of those duties should be automatically barred from standing for election.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is plenty of coverage on the news and in the printed media. Are you expecting wall to wall coverage of the goings on within the EU or what?

I still don't see how a percieved lack of coverage of the EU on Irish news translates into "People don't care about the European Union."

I do. The Irish media reflecting Irish demands and they don't really want to read or hear about the EU. No end of coverage of the Tories or the Trump. They seem to excite more people.

Lack of coverage or interest in the EU doesn't indicate any preference for leaving the EU. They are two separate issues.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned anything about leaving the EU. I merely quoted you from earlier when you made the unsubstantiated claim that Irish people don't care about the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

News I watch covers the EU, it also covers news stories from other regions.

None of which suggests nobody in Ireland cares about EU which is what you claimed

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

2020 general election was on a Saturday. Turnout was about 62%

2016 general election was on a Friday. Turnout was about 65%

Polling stations are open until 10pm. If someone is away Mon- Fri and are interested enough to vote they'll have time to get home to vote. Equally, they can register to vote in their Mon-Fri area and don't have to come home at all.

People just aren't bothered. It takes a bit of effort to read up on candidates, find out who will serve you best, who you believe can actually deliver rather than just talk about it. Anyone interested enough goes out and votes. I think abstaining from voting if you don't really understand who you are voting for and why is a far more sensible option than voting for someone random just because you think you should vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Does spoiling your vote really achieve anything?

I never remember seeing any serious discussions about the number of spoiled votes in any election.

Seems to me, that a low turnout gets more attention than the number of spoiled votes.

If someone is making a big deal about telling me that they've spoiled their vote, I'd consider them an attention seeker

Ah, I see what you're referring to - this was intended to point out the importance of the EU for the Irish people, not a daft suggestion that people wish to leave

I never said anything about Irish wanting to leave the EU. You didn't read my original comment properly.

Sigh - I merely was pointing out that your suggestion that people don't care about the EU was not true.
    I'm not going around in circles with this any more

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭csirl

Less than 50% is hard to understand.

The vast majority of my friends, family, work colleagues vote. Housebound elderly relatives were helped by family to get to the polling station.

I'm wondering who these people who dont vote are? Are there entire demographics or neighbourhoods where nobody votes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned earlier, the register overstates the actual number of people on the register. my wife is on it twice; there are people on it who have died but never been removed, etc.

• Advertisement

I don't agree. Hardly ever any media coverage of the EU. Low turnout. Weak and crackpot candidates.

I don't detect huge interest in the EU here. We support membership but seemingly prefer to get motivated about Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Councillors and TDs don't know who you voted for, but they can check if you voted. I've heard of some checking that when they get a query or request from a constituent, and they might pay a bit more attention to your request if they know you do vote.

I don't see widespread postal voting in GE's becoming a thing. The categories currently allowed are pretty much all reasonable exceptions, but the risk to the constitutional requirement for secrecy could be too high if anyone can get a postal ballot. Some evidence of that from the UK.

you're saying the 'attendance record' is maintained after the election and can be seen by councillors?

They are allowed to inspect it after the election for a period, is my understanding.

interesting, i had never considered that could be a thing.

given that, are they more or less likely to help someone who hasn't voted? you could argue that if they have voted, they know what their preference is and are unlikely to change easily.

but if they haven't voted, they are 'available' as a floating voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The head of the electoral commission was on Moncrief a few weeks back and said that the register of who voted in the last election is available - he didn't specify explicitly to whom but he made it sound like all candidates have access to it

I don't know for sure, but I'd say most voters nowadays are 'floating' in some sense and particularly for something like the locals, if a councillor (or candidate) helps a voter in some way, then on average some percentage of voters will return that with a vote in the next election. Not saying all politicians think that way, but some probably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

I only heard it from one the lads I work with. His wife went to vote after finishing work and the polling station was closed when she got there. He said tgat was about 9 pm, and the whole place was closed up. They live in Shannon, but as to which one exactly, I could not tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm pretty sure that would be getting national attention and a lot more would be complaining if that had actually happened tbh. Given it's somebody from work, you should be well able to ask which one btw which would be a lot more verifiable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

If you read my comment correctly, you will see I placed the caveat of "for instance" before using the example of the hospital. There are other possible reasons for not being able to vote and nowhere did I claim they account for the dull 50% of those who didn't vote. Now seeing as you did try to claim that is what I dhd, lets look at how many hospital bed are in the country and how many of them are actually full. Seeing as we are constantly hearing how the HSE ran A&E departments are full of people admitted but on trolley waiting for beds to become I would say they are all full. ( Friend of mine lately spent 3 days on a trolley in UHL, before getting a bed) and how many of those were eligible voters? I think you will find there would be several thousand across the country, just from that alone.

Now back to the closed polling station, all I know is that it was in Shannon, and his wife went at 9.00 pm to vote after work.

Advertisement