Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A republic would be too drastic a step to happen overnight (would risk hugely alienating anyone of a unionist persuasion). Even Ireland took 30 years to become one and that was with a tiny unionist population.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Lots of countries become republics immediately upon gaining independence from the UK; that has been the most common track since the 1970s. Many others become monarchies for just a few years before transitioning to a republic.

So, if Scotland becomes independent, becoming independent as a republic on day 1 is perfectly doable and there are many precedents.

Having said that, that's not the plan. The SNP position is that the form of government is a choice to be made by a sovereign Scotland, which implies independence first, then a debate and a democratic choice about new constitutional arrangements. Back in 2014 the proposal was independence on the basis of an interim constitution which would have retained the monarchy, followed by elections to a constituent assembly (a separate body from the Parliament) which would frame a constitution to be put to the people for adoption by referendum, in the Irish mode. That constitution, if adopted, would determine whether Scotland would be a monarchy or a republic, and that choice would be made in the first instance by the elected members of the constituent assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes to all of the above, but you would imagine that Scotland becoming a republic and ditching the monarchy on the first day of independence would be a step too far for most Scottish unionists (especially given the British royal family's strong links with Scotland). It would make sense to do it more slowly and to retain the monarchy initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The first test of this will be the by-election in Rutherford and Hamilton West. I only found out today that a by-election is going to be held there after the previous MP, Margaret Ferrier was ousted in a recall petition, which came about after she broke lockdown restrictions. Although the incident happened in 2020, it wasn't until this year that the Commons voted to suspend her for 30 days as a result of the Standards Committee recommendation, and the petition followed the suspension. Interestingly, it was the first successful recall petition in Scotland.

There's an interesting analysis of why the by-election matters here.

Well, pretty much by definition independence itself will be a "step too far" for Scottish unionists. If independence does happen, by definition unionists will be on the back foot, unable to influence the course of events. So, however much they might dislike a republic, they won't be in a position to impede it if its what the majority want.

(I'd add, be careful of assuming that Scottish unionists are in all respects similar to unionists in NI. They all won't necessarily have a sentimental attachment to the monarchy. Indeed, some of them might reckon that the weaknesses of the UK's monarchical constitution, which delivers extraordinary and largely unaccountable power to the executive at the expense of Parliament and of voters, is one of the factors that has fuelled the independence movement.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Never shall that happen. The hated so-called "EU" had been incinerated, and rightly so. It shall rightly collapse and be thrown in the hated dustbins if history. Always was that to be the end result of this Treasonous project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Scotland with an English monarchy is not independent, and is a fake Nationalist state. A British Crown Scotland would be an abomination.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: more trolling nonsense - do not post in this thread again.

Mod: @dublincc2 do not post in this thread again. If you wish to post within the Politics forum, the do so without the bigotry.

Xenophobic posts deleted

Mod: @Hamsterchops - as per my PM, please read the POLITICS CHARTER AND GUIDELINES before you post in this forum again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Another leader needed for the SNP. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/29/rishi-sunak-latest-news-humza-yousaf-snp-scotland/

I guess Scottish people are finding out nationalist parties are not the cure for their ills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It was obvious another leader would be needed considering HY was the Sturgeon continuity leader

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

That Sky News/Yougov poll from yesterday has the SNP losing over half its seats in the GE. That will bury the cause of Scottish independence for quite some time IMO if it comes to pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why would it? Support for Independence still hovers around the 40-50%, within a country whose sense of national identity is arguably the most robust across the Union, even with the recent SNP implosion; it'd be reductive to tether the entire concept to the success or failure of the SNP - and nor are they the only indy-supporting party either.

No question a Labour led Holyrood will bury the discussion, but it won't disappear overnight. For instance, this little contextual election map paints the SNP losses in a different light - abelit with a famously vote-shy cohort…

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

But the yes side getting 40-50% in polling won't bring Indyref2 any nearer. No Westminster government will grant the Scots another chance at this based on those figures. They'll need to get an 8 to 10 point lead for at least a year for London to think again about it IMO. If Brexit hasn't tipped the argument in favour of the yes side, I don't know what will tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is confusing me a tad: your initial post read like it was conflating the SNP and the independence movement overall: the indy spirit doesn't depend on the party's health, and TBH that's proven by how SNP support has basically dropped - yet the indy vote has continued to wobble within that 40-50 range. Were the SNP such poison to the nationalist movement we'd have surely seen a more definitive drop. Open to correction as always.

I think you could make an argument that had the SNP some tea leaves handy and deferred that 2014 ref. til after Brexit, that there's a chance the Yes vote might have been strong enough in the white heat of panic and anxiety over Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will.

I think the poin is that Westminster doesn't care about the Indy movement or the opinion polls. Without a Scottish government to push for independence Westminster will do nothing. And a Scottish Labour government won't really want to drive this project forward.

If support for independence doesn't translate into political action for independence, then the independence movement is going nowhere.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Labour under Starmer is opposed absolutely to Scottish Ind. He has said often.

Scotland was a huge Labour stronghold, and it has the potential to be again. Starmer wants that to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course they do. They need to look after the needy everywhere - throughout the UK.

They also need to tax the rich, and particularly the very rich, to pay for it.

The NHS was founded by Labour, and it is for Labour supporters to benefit from it, as well as others, but free at the point of use. This approach is not used anywhere else in Europe - they all use a system based on insurance or refunds.

Under the Tories, it has been reduced to a privatised shell of a service that is a nice little earner for the privateers, and their shareholders. Of course, grateful investors know how to show their appreciation by donating appropriately. Of course patients have realised the reason they are called patients because they will need plenty of it while they wait on the never moving list for treatment.

No, Labour need to proclaim their interest in justice for the under-privileged, and the eradication of poverty. They also need to invest in work by return the education of apprentices, and the improvement of skills among the workers, and the improvement in productivity through skill as well as investment.

This should be enough to raise the lower orders out of poverty.

• Advertisement

Did you not see the poll on independence that was released yesterday? BTW, the current SNP leadership have more or less abandoned independence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This isn't going to work. Nobody else uses an NHS-style system and for good reason. The population is ageing and people are dying much older and in much more expensive ways than in 1948.

I don't understand what benefit free at the point of use is when you can't even see the same GP regularly. I had a minor issue this year and I had to keep chasing and chasing to get it resolved. There's no follow up on the NHS end and it feels like a of the staff want to see it privatised so they can get a pay bump.

We need to start taxing capital along with incomes. It's insane that this is barely happening. A land value tax would be quite lucrative and impossible for the super rich to hide. Same for a tax on properties worth more than 2 million pounds. There's no point though unless people stop clapping for the NHS and start demand reform and results.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I am not saying that the NHS should be free at the point of use - just that was the way Labour introduced it. The problems you experienced were the result of the hollowing out of the NHS by the Tories, particularly the last 14 years. What is needed is better funding, and better pay for the staff. Giving them a clap every evening for their dedicated service is just insulting. [The clap has a different medical meaning for many people!]

Taxing capital, and particularly wealth in the form of property, is definitely required to address the huge disparity in British society. Death duties were hated by the landed gentry, but an annual wealth tax would be a good policy. Current non-dom status has the opposite effect.

Labour needs to get its policies lined up to prevent the Tories spinning lies - mind you they will do that anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Taxing the rich just isn't going to happen. There's also no point in more funding if the current funding is being wasted on nonsense like homeopathy and other quack nonsense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Support for independence and an Indy Ref 2 has been skimming along in the 50%s for years now.

Even with Brexit and a crack pot government in London support has not managed to gain any real momentum.

People here have been saying for a long time, "just wait until x, y or z and support will take off".

But it never does.

So half the voters want independence and the Tories and Labour refuse to consider offering a referendum on the matter.

What was the polling numbers in 2011/2012?

It's settled and rightly so. The SNP have descended into farce and the less said about the Scottish Greens, the better.

I sympathise with Scots who want to break free from the Union but it's like my wish to abolish the monarchy. It's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

A long long way below where they are now for sure. They were hovering in the mid to upper 20's through low 30's at that time. So the current levels being in the upper 40's are roughly 20% higher then 2011-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The only poll that mattered happened in 2014 and there was no majority for independence.

Since then opinion polls have failed to show regular support above 60% , the kind of numbers you would need to see an independence vote carried.

So the government in London, regardless of who they are are can justifiably ignore the independence movement until it gains a bit more traction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I do wonder just how much staying in the EU influenced voters in 2014 and I wonder how much Brexit would influence any vote now.

It was unfortunate timing for the pro-independence side on that front. I don't see any major party risking it again. No English party wants to be accused of breaking up the Union.

Advertisement